Ninja 250R Rpm question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ninja 250R Rpm question

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a bike from a lady with 450KM on it. Not sure how well maintained it was but I bought the bike. I bought a 2010 Ninja 250R. Now, when I warm up the bike the idle sits at like 1400 rpm and the rpm hangs and slowly comes down after I give it throttle. I took it out on the road for the first time yesterday and filled it with gas. Drove around for a bit and then I noticed when I was at a red light, my rpms were like 2-3K. Now is this normal? Any suggestions what could be wrong? I still have to do an oil change, planning on doing that this over the long weekend. What other services shall I do to the bike so it's running in tiptop shape and what should I do before storing the bike? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Did you dial the choke back?
The bike is carbureted. You open (close? I forget it's been while, I think you pull it back) the choke before starting then close (open? push forwad) once it's warmed up. That will change your running RPM for sure. Also, there is an idle control on the left side down below the seat.
Someone who has a 250 or remembers better than me should confirm or correct what I've said. It's been a while...

Did you dial the choke back?
The bike is carbureted. You open (close? I forget it's been while, I think you pull it back) the choke before starting then close (open? push forwad) once it's warmed up. That will change your running RPM for sure. Also, there is an idle control on the left side down below the seat.
Someone who has a 250 or remembers better than me should confirm or correct what I've said. It's been a while...

Yes I opened the choke when I started it up, let it run then slowly closed the choke after a few mins. I've read somewhere that my carbs may need cleaning because it has been sitting and wasn't used as often. I mean a 5 year old bike with 450km lol. Would seafoam maybe this?

Seafoam is not gonna do a thing to a bike that sat that long. Time to pull the carbs.

Once the bike is fully warmed up and the rpms are bouncing in the 2-3k range adjust it with this knob here

Dial it back to 1500 and happy riding

Get the bike up to operating temperature and adjust the idle once it's at operating temperature, sea foam will not help with idle but will clean out the carbs somewhat, unless you know your way around carbs how to take apart and put back together leave them alone, and get someone who does, if it's old gas get rid of it and put in fresh stuff, the bike has been sitting, run it, and try the easy stuff before you get into tearing apart carbs and or adjusting any screws on the carbs. Run it like you stole it, get RPMs as high as your comfortable with between shifts this will help clean things out as well, dirty plugs, your bike has been sitting for a while it might just need a good run.....

my 2cents

Back
Top Bottom