Fat tire bicycles? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fat tire bicycles?

Best bang for your buck if you want a fat bike is old model clear out on RSD's facebook page. More than $1000 cheaper than a 2016

11246971_701261453316404_5194337847434973298_n.jpg

They are fun on trails in the winter, that's about it really.

Good god I hope your wrong! I ride the rail trail up hill a bunch of kms on my cyclocross bike and on the way back I'll take the trails averaging all downhill. The smooth trails are great but I have to watch corner speed (narrow tires) and the knarly stuff is pretty intense (narrow tires) and every time I do this I'm thinking quality fat bike as opposed to suspension mtb. I wonder why that is?

I'm seeing more and more of them around my area (Lakeshore / Islington)...we have zero off road trails there....look interesting but I couldn't justify the cost in any way shape or form.

I would tend to agree. Fortunately I have very easy access to many tight knarly trails and climbs couple minutes from the house otherwise I would look into 27.5 hardtail. That would be a lot of fun in a cityscape.

Nice.

I couldn't justify the cost of carbon for my Scalpel 29er. 28lbs is still pretty good IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally understandable. In the spring I'm going to buy a hard tail myself. Can't decide on 27.5 or 29 but either way it won't be carbon

Side question. I have cambio rino bike that's supposed to be a pretty good vintage road bike. Dunno much about it except that it's red, sells for up to 1K on ebay, and queen street west chicks dig it. Anyways, braking on it is scary as ****. The wheels lock way too easily for how fast it goes. Is this inevitable on such skinny tires? Or do I need to drop $2000 on tires and new pads?

Learn to modulate the brakes or ride slower. Better yet, send it back to Italy with pithy note containing much pith.

Side question. I have cambio rino bike that's supposed to be a pretty good vintage road bike. Dunno much about it except that it's red, sells for up to 1K on ebay, and queen street west chicks dig it. Anyways, braking on it is scary as ****. The wheels lock way too easily for how fast it goes. Is this inevitable on such skinny tires? Or do I need to drop $2000 on tires and new pads?
Have you ever had it looked at? Are the brakes set up well? Ever replaced the cables? Could be a few things wrong. Hard to say

The brakes are oke, no issue modulating. It just seems like the tires don't provide enough stopping grip to fly around downtown or busy trails.

I prefer a regular mountain bike and just swap out the tires for the type of riding.

Fat tires are nice for the beach and other loose surfaces that a FT would float over.

Otherwise standard 2.125" tire with an appropriate tread and compound will do just fine in snow, mud and most trails.

I'm no champion of the trails and don't look for the latest and greatest. Heck, I wait for disc brakes to develop over the years before making the switch.

Fat Tire bikes are a bit of a fashion statement and too narrow of function to justify the cost.

I'm too old to lug around the extra weight. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need another bike.

OK, I spent a good portion of the afternoon riding this bloated pos. It goes down hill pretty good.

What goes downhill pretty bad?

I don't know. I meant relative to going up is what I meant. How's that greasy Italian tire of yours? Have you got that sorted yet?

Hardwood hills rents them, might be a good way to check one out without dropping the cash. I fooled around with one for a bit (I was there working on the addition) it was fun and I would've liked to try it on the trails.

Hardwood hills rents them, might be a good way to check one out without dropping the cash. I fooled around with one for a bit (I was there working on the addition) it was fun and I would've liked to try it on the trails.

Yes, I should have rented before buying. Good advice.

I would tend to agree. Fortunately I have very easy access to many tight knarly trails and climbs couple minutes from the house otherwise I would look into 27.5 hardtail. That would be a lot of fun in a cityscape.

Any hardtail 27.5 friendly trails on the hamilton mountain?

Back
Top Bottom