Fat tire bicycles? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fat tire bicycles?

inreb

Site Supporter
Anybody here ride one for pleasure? Exercise? Personal growth? Communing with nature? A to B? Posing? Meet new people? Anyway, how fat is too fat? I'm going 4 inches, no need to get retarded.

I rented one once on holiday to ride in the sand. If I had snowmobile trails to ride or really nice beaches maybe, but seeing them roll around the neighborhood makes me fearful for our youth.

Don't blame the tires' girth.

I'd be mortified to hear what one weighs.

The number might scare you but when I lifted it at the store the lightness blew me away, compared to my racked cyclocross day tripper anyway. Yesterday at the forks I was invited to lift a some guys Cannondale roadie. $2000 bike at 19lbs he said. That felt light. With all 105 Shimano. These are the best of times folks, never a better time to ride bikes or motorcycles from a tech per $dollar perspective.

19 lbs! The horror. My full suspension weighs that :D

This is why I try to not get too caught up in the minutia. Buy decent kit, let the chips fall where they may.

There's nothing wrong with a 19 lb roadie. He'll even 21 would be fine for the majority. 105 is bomb proof too and lasts. My first real road bike was an opus circa 2002 ish. I sold it and had ridden around 27,000 km on it and it was still in perfect working order.

Yesterday at the forks I was invited to lift a some guys Cannondale roadie. $2000 bike at 19lbs he said. That felt light.

19 lbs ain't light.

THIS is light. 5.94 lbs. (yes it get's ridden - over 20K miles on it).

6lbbike1-1-thumb-550xauto-48359.jpg

They're not for sale, but if you can live with the added heft, Fairwheel will build up one of these for you.

Fair-Wheel-Bikes-Crumpton-sub9-pound-race-road-bike01.jpg

Yesterday at the forks I was invited to lift a some guys Cannondale roadie. $2000 bike at 19lbs he said. That felt light.

19 lbs ain't light.

THIS is light. 5.94 lbs. (yes it get's ridden - over 20K miles on it).

6lbbike1-1-thumb-550xauto-48359.jpg

It was just a chance meeting, as they tend to be at the forks, but if I see him again I will pass this information along. Thanks for your continued enthusiasm.

I have a few friends in New Brunswick that run fat-tire bikes but only use them in the winter. They're very popular there and there's plenty of winter races each weekend. Seen a lot in the NewHampshire area as well. Not many in my area here though.

I have a Specalized Stumpy FS that's just over 20lbs and I find it hard to picture myself riding a fat-bike unless it was in the winter.

Last edited:
Bought mine from RSD bikes, a Toronto based company http://rsdbikes.com/ I use it for transporting my dogs to the dog park because I needed something that could pull the chariot through the sand while I follow them around the park, my road bike was just sinking. Cant wait for winter to try it in the snow.
11295925_10155739852870615_3480157257292825463_n.jpg

They definitely look interesting. I'd like to give one a try but I can only see me using it in the winter and that's indoor trainer time. :dontknow:

That looks like a nice rig woodgo. My LBS, Hammer City Cycle carries RSD. Looks like good bikes but for me the hubs, tires and price is too wide. I'm stuck at 170 hubs, 4in. tires and $2000. That's all I can stand to get stolen.
I've thought about indoor trainer but honestly that's never going to get used regularly. Outdoors is where it's at. Battery powered gloves ftw.

Trek top fuel 9.8. Mostly xtr with crazy light wheels. Carbon bar, seat and post etc etc. I've seen very low 18 lb full set ups before.

Nice.

I couldn't justify the cost of carbon for my Scalpel 29er. 28lbs is still pretty good IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm seeing more and more of them around my area (Lakeshore / Islington)...we have zero off road trails there....look interesting but I couldn't justify the cost in any way shape or form.

Back
Top Bottom