Fat tire bicycles? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fat tire bicycles?

Plain English or French, please.

800px-Bicycle_tire_size_markings-en.png

Well we haven't established if it is an issue. My 700x28 commuter stops very well. The 700x23 road bike looses grip too easily. Heck I even lost traction pedaling up some steep hills, but I can't blame them I am a stud. Can the tire size make that much of a difference?

Sounds like it's the rider not the equipment. Roadies are an adjustment sometimes. Losing traction though sounds to me like bad tired maybe. I've never done that before and I used to have a touch more leg power than the avg joe. :dontknow:

Albion hills is one of my favorite things in ON. I love the fast paced rolling hills.

I am not buying this whole flotation thing. Sure it might be great a few times a year but mostly it's a drag. I commuted to work every snowsotrm this winter on 700x28C. lol reminds me of people that show up at blue with 120 fully rocked skis on "powder days".
It's definitely my favorite. I may not be at the level I used to be but I can still fly around there pretty good. I also usually ride there and back from forks of the credit.

I am not buying this whole flotation thing. Sure it might be great a few times a year but mostly it's a drag. I commuted to work every snowsotrm this winter on 700x28C. lol reminds me of people that show up at blue with 120 fully rocked skis on "powder days".

Actually, I'm not totally buying it either but that seems to be the mantra. I do see the benefit in frozen ruts tho. I know there are winter trail conditions where a regular tire is not even worth the hassle. I expect the fat tire to help there. I don't expect to ride in fresh snow but hard packed, where a regular tire wouldn't work, but fat will. We'll talk in spring.

Actually, I'm not totally buying it either but that seems to be the mantra. I do see the benefit in frozen ruts tho. I know there are winter trail conditions where a regular tire is not even worth the hassle. I expect the fat tire to help there. I don't expect to ride in fresh snow but hard packed, where a regular tire wouldn't work, but fat will. We'll talk in spring.

Cheeky suggestion "cross country skis". But now I wonder, what would be faster and more efficient between a fat bike and xc skis on a hard packed trail.

Fatbike has it's purpose, deeper soft snow and loose sand. Unless you will be riding those a lot, I think you may want to consider something other than a fatbike, unless you plan to have another bike also.

I ride everything other than the above terrains, 365 days a year, with $14 tires (Kenda K‑180 Hybrid 700C x 38) on my garbage bin find 1991 Univega Action Activa non-suspension hybrid bike. I use this bike year round for pavement, gravel roads, light dirt trails, hard packed snow, and occasionally the single track in the Don (somewhat scary with these particular tires).

For speed and stability on ice, I have made ice tires (hand drilled, 575 screws per tire), using the same $14 tires.

I want to do more single track, so a 29er hardtail might be in my future.

o9eqKHE.jpg

It might be Chinese.

That's middle of the road $$$ for a decent fat bike

Bought mine from RSD bikes, a Toronto based company http://rsdbikes.com/ I use it for transporting my dogs to the dog park because I needed something that could pull the chariot through the sand while I follow them around the park, my road bike was just sinking. Cant wait for winter to try it in the snow.
11295925_10155739852870615_3480157257292825463_n.jpg

Wow... 4 doggies... Looks like you have a MinPin or two? What's the breed of the doggie on the left?

Back
Top Bottom