Ontario Dual Sport Club / OFTR - beware of what is offered as member benefits. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario Dual Sport Club / OFTR - beware of what is offered as member benefits.

It's not confusing to find the trails, but to some I guess it is. Pick a tract and ride.

So now because some people can't find a trail we should close it all and make it for non-motorized trails? The Simcoe County tracts are active logging areas that they allow people to use.

The dirt biking world keeps losing areas to ride and at least the OFTR is trying to keep what we have and try to get more. Sure I wish it was one big voice instead of just a voice of a bunch of little clubs. I've been in for a few years and sometimes I shake my head, but the people involved are doing the best they can with what they have. Hoodlums make a very bad name for proper dirt bikers and it's hard to get the public on our side. It's similar to cruisers with open pipes, or sport bikers speeding and wheeling on public roads. But at least they haven't figured out how to get those riders off the streets yet.

I'm not saying that we should close it.
But that the club(s) need to look at their long term priorities and act accordingly.
If the area is of no use to members of the blanket club who have paid for the right to ride there, then they may decide to complain, rather than join another group or stay away and ignore the situation. If they manage to complain to the right people, who have no understanding of the situation, then it might be decided outside of the group's control, in a manner that does not benefit anyone in the groups.

Like you've said above there is a perception issue, and a politician may eventually decide that politically there is enough to gain by simply shutting it down, while the groups are busy in-fighting.

The OFTR is starting to seem more clueless and vague with every question I ask.

They made a statement on their website that insurance for every member costs between $5 to $8.

So I asked... what does this insurance cover? Do we get a certificate of insurance?

The answer:
For?

OFTR clubs occasionally provide them to landowners when using land for events, or for land use agreements. We also provide them to municipalities when needed....

So I have insurance coverage (additional liability coverage, I presume) but I cannot know what it is, who it is with, or any of the details? How do I know I even need this over and above my regular insurance for being on a blue plated bike?

The OFTR is starting to seem more clueless and vague with every question I ask.

They made a statement on their website that insurance for every member costs between $5 to $8.

So I asked... what does this insurance cover? Do we get a certificate of insurance?

The answer:

So I have insurance coverage (additional liability coverage, I presume) but I cannot know what it is, who it is with, or any of the details? How do I know I even need this over and above my regular insurance for being on a blue plated bike?

Sounds like it's insurance for the landowners, in case you wreak something of theirs, not insurance for your bike.

Sounds like it's insurance for the landowners, in case you wreak something of theirs, not insurance for your bike.

Which is fine if that is the case, but how about some details?

I cannot believe that the OFTR gets 100's of members who renew every single year and no one questions the expenses and the benefits derived from. The membership fees now are up to $85 for OFTR on its own, $10 more for ODSC, $20 for Scorra, etc, and for what exactly? A laminated card and a sticker?

People are starting to ask questions now... which is a good thing. Hopefully things get turned around and there is some clarity regarding the expenses, benefits, and better communication and cooperation between the smaller clubs.

Believe it or not, if you attend the annual general meeting, you will see where all the money goes. You can also ask questions, and address any concerns you have.
Anyone who wants to make a change is always welcome to sit on the executive commitee, try and do it from the inside. Also, maybe try this thread on the scorra forum? Don't think anyone on GTAM can do anything.

You get to ride the forest. What more do you want?

Ganny passes are 100 bucks or so per year as well...and...you get to ride the Ganny!

Which is fine if that is the case, but how about some details?

I cannot believe that the OFTR gets 100's of members who renew every single year and no one questions the expenses and the benefits derived from. The membership fees now are up to $85 for OFTR on its own, $10 more for ODSC, $20 for Scorra, etc, and for what exactly? A laminated card and a sticker?

People are starting to ask questions now... which is a good thing. Hopefully things get turned around and there is some clarity regarding the expenses, benefits, and better communication and cooperation between the smaller clubs.

Believe it or not, if you attend the annual general meeting, you will see where all the money goes. You can also ask questions, and address any concerns you have.
Anyone who wants to make a change is always welcome to sit on the executive commitee, try and do it from the inside. Also, maybe try this thread on the scorra forum? Don't think anyone on GTAM can do anything.

I went to this past AGM... but the financials weren't made clear. They were glossed over to present the new website and do a trip presentation from a few guys who did a trip out west.

Last edited:
You get to ride the forest. What more do you want?

Ganny passes are 100 bucks or so per year as well...and...you get to ride the Ganny!

What more do I want? How about some information about which trails are actually legal to ride on to start with.

What more do I want? How about some information about which trails are actually legal to ride on to start with.

That much I'll give you, for sure. If scorra wants to attract other Oftr member clubs, they really should make trail maps available. Especially since complaints from other trail users can affect our land use agreements.
Personally, I do believe in and support the Oftr. There has been a huge improvement in the trail systems in Simcoe County. The summer before scorra was formed, the county closed all county forests to dirtbikes.
If you want to get some awesome gps tracks, join the Oftr trail ride series. The two day Algonquin (280km), the soggy boot (150), the Calabogie boogie, all amazing fun and will provide excellent base knowledge of the areas. Just make sure to take the drz. :)
I'll email Andrejz tomorrow and outline our concerns about legalities etc, I've known him for years and the executive commitee may need to reconsider some policies.

Sounds awesome. Thanks.

I don't do trails as the big bike isn't suited and I'm not sure of the logistics or legality of my DMP mini bike.
But I'll be trying Limerick Forest with a group, in a week or two. It sounds like fun.

That much I'll give you, for sure. If scorra wants to attract other Oftr member clubs, they really should make trail maps available. Especially since complaints from other trail users can affect our land use agreements.
Personally, I do believe in and support the Oftr. There has been a huge improvement in the trail systems in Simcoe County. The summer before scorra was formed, the county closed all county forests to dirtbikes.
If you want to get some awesome gps tracks, join the Oftr trail ride series. The two day Algonquin (280km), the soggy boot (150), the Calabogie boogie, all amazing fun and will provide excellent base knowledge of the areas. Just make sure to take the drz. :)
I'll email Andrejz tomorrow and outline our concerns about legalities etc, I've known him for years and the executive commitee may need to reconsider some policies.

Thanks Jeremy,

Don't worry about finding maps for me in particular... I've got a tonne, including all of the OFTR trail series and including Simcoe County forests... that is beside the point.

The point I am trying to make is that this should all be up-front. A new member shouldn't have to start big battles just to get some information that should be readily available to them.

At least my thread lets potential new members of the OFTR, ODSC, or SCORRA know what to ask and what to look for. When I joined I had no clue about maps only available to a few, no info about the included insurance coverage, etc...

Back
Top Bottom