Service Ontario Temporary Plates/Sticker Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Service Ontario Temporary Plates/Sticker Question

Hi everyone,

I currently have a bike registered under my name as "un-fit". Now, if I were to get a policy number from my insurance company and I bring that to Service Ontario, would they give me plates/ and a temp sticker so I can ride it to get my safety?

Thanks!

Nope

Really? It's not like having a car? hmmm

Even for a car, if it's listed as 'un-fit' you can't obtain a temporary permit.

The only way to get a temp permit/plate is if the vehicle status was 'Fit' when transferring into your name. At that time all you need is valid insurance and 'Fit' status, and you can get a 10 day temp permit to get your safety. You come back with a completed safety and you can get a valid sticker.

Even for a car, if it's listed as 'un-fit' you can't obtain a temporary permit.

The only way to get a temp permit/plate is if the vehicle status was 'Fit' when transferring into your name. At that time all you need is valid insurance and 'Fit' status, and you can get a 10 day temp permit to get your safety. You come back with a completed safety and you can get a valid sticker.

Ok, awesome. That clears everything up. Thank you sir.

The system in Ontario is called branding.
There is fit, unfit, salvage and I forget the fourth category.
You'll have to get a friend with a truck to get the bike to a garage.

Sorry, write off is the fourth.
No permit even a temp will be issued to an unfit.
Savage and write off will allow the owner to be changed so the vehicle can be used for parts, but that VIN will never be allowed back on the road.

Last edited:
Brand types are:
"Irreparable"
"Salvage"
"Rebuilt"
"None"
"Rebuilt" or "None" are the only acceptable brands for a consumer buying a used vehicle for on-road use.

Motorcycles
The "Salvage" and "Rebuilt" brands don't apply to motorcycles. A motorcycle is branded as "Irreparable" where there is frame damage that requires replacement.
Motorcycles are more susceptible than cars to fraudulent registration. The "Irreparable" brand allows for the tracking of resale parts to help law enforcement reduce motorcycle theft and the laundering of stolen motorcycle parts.

When I bought a Bandit a few years ago, when i transferred the ownership in my name, I asked for a Temp (T) sticker. I got it and 3 days later I gout the bike satisfied and a permanent sticker

Thats not true. You can obtain plates and temp sticker with an un-fit brand. the catch is that the ownership, before being transferred to your name should state that the bike have a fit/none brand attach to it. The sticker is valid for 10-20days which should be enough to ride to and from a mech to get your papers done and have its brand change from unfit to none.

https://www.services.gov.on.ca/serv...ion=service_details&id=11840&redirected_slf=1

Wtf?

http://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker

Has to be fit and it's good for 10 days.

When I bought a Bandit a few years ago, when i transferred the ownership in my name, I asked for a Temp (T) sticker. I got it and 3 days later I gout the bike satisfied and a permanent sticker

That meant the status on the ownership before you transferred it was already 'FIT'.

Back
Top Bottom