Noob looking for advice regarding gear. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Noob looking for advice regarding gear.

I believe in riding gear. Ever see a skinned palm? Last year while at the hospital waiting for the doc. I overheard two nurses talking on how the one spent most of her shift cleaning 'road grime' out some poor guy on a motorcycle.

However for me I just happen to have some time off while trolling ebay. cheap buy it now a week or two before christmas was good enough for me.

Now wearing someone else sweat? I guess you never heard of soap?

The helmet I bought new just before Christmas 2014 from ebay motorcycle shop. shark evoline 3 for about $300us at the time. Before that I had a used Arai 3/4 helmet I picked up used for $50.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input. I was able to get a lot out of your point of views regarding this matter.

Although recently a graduate from the starving student tax bracket I am buy no means flush or down right scraping the barrel when it comes to my personal finances. I got a quote range for around $1600-$2400 for Bikes like a ninja 300 all the way up to a sv650. So if you add in maybe another $3.5k-$4k for a starter bike I should be ok in that front for a pretty good price point.

As many have suggested its looking more practical to maybe shelve the idea of being on the road for this season and just gear up for 2016(I will shed manly tears at night for this). Just to be clear I am not sold on buying a premium brand for the name sake. I plan on looking for other helmet brands that can protect my head just as well at hopefully a cheaper price point. But I think I will stick with my original plan of going Helmet -> Jacket-> Gloves as a priority and then see if I can find some riding jeans over Christmas. Boots will have to be squeezed in after the fact.

I will also start saving up for additional equipment as many of you stated that my preference for gear will only really come into play once I am on the road. So if the combination of stuff i pick out in the off months don't suit my riding patterns come spring I will have to be ready to add few items as they come up.

Thanks for the input and if any of you know of any upcoming trade shows or sales that happen from now until Christmas please feel free to share.

Thank you all for the input. I was able to get a lot out of your point of views regarding this matter.

Although recently a graduate from the starving student tax bracket I am buy no means flush or down right scraping the barrel when it comes to my personal finances. I got a quote range for around $1600-$2400 for Bikes like a ninja 300 all the way up to a sv650. So if you add in maybe another $3.5k-$4k for a starter bike I should be ok in that front for a pretty good price point.

As many have suggested its looking more practical to maybe shelve the idea of being on the road for this season and just gear up for 2016(I will shed manly tears at night for this). Just to be clear I am not sold on buying a premium brand for the name sake. I plan on looking for other helmet brands that can protect my head just as well at hopefully a cheaper price point. But I think I will stick with my original plan of going Helmet -> Jacket-> Gloves as a priority and then see if I can find some riding jeans over Christmas. Boots will have to be squeezed in after the fact.

I will also start saving up for additional equipment as many of you stated that my preference for gear will only really come into play once I am on the road. So if the combination of stuff i pick out in the off months don't suit my riding patterns come spring I will have to be ready to add few items as they come up.

Thanks for the input and if any of you know of any upcoming trade shows or sales that happen from now until Christmas please feel free to share.
Motorcycle super show International centre in January.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Your first step would be to purchase or borrow gear sufficient to complete the Training course.

After that, you may decide that motorcycling isn't for you.
Don't forget that it's a recreation here, not a viable commuting decision, for the vast majority, and businesses act accordingly.

If you decide that you enjoy the sport. You can either save up and purchase a really good set of gear, perhaps Motoport?, or
end up like I did and buy several sets over time, as you can afford it, as I did. I think I have a half dozen each of jackets and pants,
most that are still wearable, a dozen pairs of gloves, 3 or 4 pairs of boots, etc.

Some of my gear is good for low speed practice on really hot days, and some would be viable for a track, or near freezing conditions.

I believe that it would be pretty rare for someone to have had a bike for several years, but only have one set of gear.

Get a decent full face helmet that fits your head. You don't have to pay $700, unless you really like the material and shiny graphics.
Get some long wearable gloves. I have a hard time finding gloves that are both comfortable and highly protective, but that might just be me.
For boots, having a comfortable motorcycle type toe for shifting is awesome, but I haven't come across many that can also be walked in for long periods.
You want some decent pants, with some soft knee protection, even if you're just going to be kneeling down to look at the bike.
I'm not too sure about the jacket, I have several, from textile mesh, to perforated and solid leather.
I don't generally like rain liners, as you have to take the jacket off in the rain to insert the liner, and if they're already in they are like a sweatbox.

Back
Top Bottom