Went down in my S1000R | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Went down in my S1000R

36/42 is written on the swing arm in a lot of bikes... I had my rear blew midway on a ramp to the 407 at high speed, acceleration was terrible but I found it impossible to steer or lean the bike. When we took off the tire, it look like somebody shot my tire with a bullet as there was a quarter size puncture hole through it.

Anyway glad you're safe but I feel for you... the bike barely had first service and this crap happens... Well at least you don't have to worry about scratching the damn thing anymore.

My gsxr says 36 and 42. Never happens but that's what they recommend :dontknow:

That is what is recommend for my BMW GS as well. I watch my psi via TPMS, always on display, it does fluctuate which is normal.

Main reason I watch mine is I had a nail in the rear tire, so I keep an eye on it in case it starts leaking.

36/42 is written on the swing arm in a lot of bikes...
I'm sure they do that to either sell more tires from you burning out the middles or for liability reasons if you take your 550lb girlfriend for a rip on the back.

A few days ago I was heading out from my home in Richmond Hill, Ontario to Lake Simcoe with 5-6 buddies to enjoy the sunset, when my rear tire burst spontaneously on a clean residential road without debris in sight. The bike was on a roundabout going counterclockwise and I went down on my left 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear, 20-30 kmph. I heard a pop before sliding. My massive rear tire managed to hit the curb, dented the rim, and my bike subsequently bounced back at me, hitting the right rear mirror resulting in damage to my front brake fluid reservoir leaking brake fluid everywhere. My buddies from behind thought that they saw my rear tire instantly deflate before I started to slide.
Thankfully this occurred on a residential street, in low speed, without much traffic and I survived the incident with a minor nose bruise and a scraped leather jacket. (I love my safety gear!) We then inspected the scene of the incident and the tire, now flat, was flawless. There were no punctures, there was no sand where I went down and my shifter/rear spool slid on the pavement, and I was not putting power down while turning.

What do you guys think caused this?

What can cause a tire to spontaneously deflate like that in the absence of a puncture?

Could it be it rider error/that I just leaned too hard and that pop I heard was not real (as memories in situations like these are quite fallable) ? I am open to any constructive feedback and hope to avoid this happening again.
You have front and rear mirrors? Safety first I guess!

Anyways I wouldn't put any faith in what your buddies saw. There's no way the guy behind had his eye on your rear tire through the turn, never mind more than one guy. Most likely explanation is you hit some debris which can often make a popping sound, and you slid into the curb which then popped the tire. If the tire had already been already deflated before you hit the curb, the bike wouldn't have bounced back much.

thanks for all your comments.

Status update: bike is at BMW toronto. Damage estimate is about 1.9k for parts 350 for labour + tax to replace the front brake fuild reservoir and rear tire/rim.
Hope to put this thing that happened behind me asap and to get back on the road.

Anyone have thoughts on running different tires front/rear?
The rosso corsas look like track tires. Hear alot of good things about the pirelli angel GTs. They seem like a good fit as I don't plan on tracking the bike.

Anyone have thoughts on running different tires front/rear?
The rosso corsas look like track tires. Hear alot of good things about the pirelli angel GTs. They seem like a good fit as I don't plan on tracking the bike.
Until I started doing track I never had tires that matched, ever. You'll be fine. Angel GT's are nice, did you check out the Pilot Road 4's?

Back
Top Bottom