Went down in my S1000R | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Went down in my S1000R

This bike is equipped with TPMS and the rider would have been warned if he had ridden off with a low pressue. Tire.

Sudden air loss with out damage to the tire or damage to the rim is strange indeed.

That's what I was wondering, considering how hard it can be to break the bead on a deflated tire, had to be low.

Ouch how much was the litre bike?

I have an S1000R and it does not come with TPMS or TPS So the rider wouldn't have known.

surprised the s1000r does not have a tpms. It is a great feature, warns you when you are 10 psi under so if you have a slow leek or are just running low, you know well in advance before getting dangerously low on tire pressure.

A few days ago I was heading out from my home in Richmond Hill, Ontario to Lake Simcoe with 5-6 buddies to enjoy the sunset when my rear tire burst

Why can't a few men just enjoy a sunset without someone's rear hoop bursting...seriously!

thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I walked away and that it was a low speed incident too!
I just want to take a lesson away from the incident somehow.

to clarify, the tire remained on the rim. Just deflated but I/we could not see any punctures/sharp objects/debris on the tire itself (and on the road) as we rolled it back onto my driveway. It happened literally metres from my driveway, thankfully.

It was a new bike... I picked it up 2 months ago, had the first service 2 weeks ago from Budds'

I was running the stock pirelli diablo rosso corsas

22xx kms.
I check pressures weekly at stock recommended PSI's, 36 front /42 rear

Valve core/stem failure would be a good idea. I'll ask the dealer tonight if they saw any evidence of this.

This is what I thought.

How old was the tire? when was the last time you checked your tire pressures?

Edit: never mind, others already asked.
Underinflated and popped the tire off the bead? Glad you walked away.

Last edited:
First off your tire pressure is way to high for tho tires ,the front should be 31/35 psi and the back 28/32 psi thats what Pirelli calls for you to run them on.

First off your tire pressure is way to high for tho tires ,the front should be 31/35 psi and the back 28/32 psi thats what Pirelli calls for you to run them on.

Pirelli recommends using the motorcycles manufacturers recommended specs (just like other other tire manufacturers do). This paragragh is copied from their tech (and yes, the part in bold is also in bold in their tech).
TYRE PRESSURE [FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std Lt Cn,HelveticaNeueLT Std Lt Cn][FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std Lt Cn,HelveticaNeueLT Std Lt Cn]Always inflate the tyre to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently, i.e. once a week. Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, they seldom remember to check tyre pressures. Correct tyre pressure, however, is critical for safe handling. Overinflation or extreme tyre pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the contact of the tyre with the road. Underinflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to „wander". Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tyre wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tyres weekly. [/FONT][/FONT]You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. [FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std Lt Cn,HelveticaNeueLT Std Lt Cn][FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std Lt Cn,HelveticaNeueLT Std Lt Cn]Use PIRELLI’s information only as reference. Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off-road (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Edit - Never mind me, BMW actually recommends 42 PSI for the rear. Seems way high but what do I know.

I would not put any stock on what BMW recommends, I would go by what the tire manufacturer recommends.

Pirelli recommends using the motorcycles manufacturers recommended specs (just like other other tire manufacturers do). This paragragh is copied from their tech (and yes, the part in bold is also in bold in their tech).
TYRE PRESSURE Always inflate the tyre to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently, i.e. once a week. Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, they seldom remember to check tyre pressures. Correct tyre pressure, however, is critical for safe handling. Overinflation or extreme tyre pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the contact of the tyre with the road. Underinflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to „wander". Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tyre wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tyres weekly. You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. Use PIRELLI’s information only as reference. Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off-road (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.
Ok why would you set your tire pressure so high?.....If you set the rear at 42 psi at cold temp what happens when it heats up its almost in the 50 range and becomes a hockey puck. Come on lets real 42 psi is crazy high for rear tire ,maybe the maxs 36 psi for a sport bike and thats high.

Recommended rear tire pressure for '09 GSXR1000 in owners manual (and stamped on bike) - 42psi rear.

Current tire pressure on my '09 GSXR1000 (street only) with Dunlop RSII - 42psi.

Dunlop recommended pressure for RSII - "Follow recommended pressure in owners manual"

I figure Dunlop/Pirelli/Suzuki know what works better than I do so I'll trust them with this (of course everyone has their own preference though).

Stock tire pressure recommendations are such that the tire will not fail by overheating under maximum possible load and speed. Sometimes there will be a different pressure recommendation for carrying a passenger ... otherwise that pressure recommendation is such that the tire will not overheat when carrying maximum GVWR at top speed or at the rated speed of the tire, which is >> 200 km/h.

No one wants to accept liability for recommending otherwise and then having someone have a blowout, so the tire manufacturer sends you to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation and the vehicle manufacturer always recommends a worst-case condition. A lot of the time, the manufacturer recommends the same pressure for ALL of the bikes that they build regardless of which model ... which makes you wonder how much thought and testing was actually put into it, as opposed to "put a big enough number so that we don't get in trouble".

The reality is that if you are NOT carrying maximum rated GVWR and you are NOT operating continuously near the speed rating of the tire or the top speed of the vehicle, the tire rubber will not reach a good temperature range when operated at such a high pressure. So ... "your mileage may vary". Street/sport tires that I've used on similar sport bikes want 32-ish psi for normal riding (and bump it up if you actually are carrying a passenger or doing a top-speed run). DOT race tires often want 30-ish psi (some a little less) after they have been on the tire warmers for an hour ...

But none of this is relevant to the original poster's case. The tire should not have a structural failure when inflated to 42 psi, nor should the tire valve fail.

What happens if you try to re-inflate the tire?

If the failure was an "explosive decompression" it takes a lot more than a leaky tire valve to do it. I had a rubber tire valve fail completely - cracked in half - on the back straight at Shannonville, and although it lost air in a hurry, there was still time for "hmmm, that feels strange" before getting to the end of the straightaway and realizing that I wasn't going to make the corner.

A structural split in the tire that would be big enough for "explosive decompression" will be readily apparent if you try to re-inflate the tire.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom