Went down in my S1000R | GTAMotorcycle.com

Went down in my S1000R

eecc17

A few days ago I was heading out from my home in Richmond Hill, Ontario to Lake Simcoe with 5-6 buddies to enjoy the sunset, when my rear tire burst spontaneously on a clean residential road without debris in sight. The bike was on a roundabout going counterclockwise and I went down on my left 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear, 20-30 kmph. I heard a pop before sliding. My massive rear tire managed to hit the curb, dented the rim, and my bike subsequently bounced back at me, hitting the right rear mirror resulting in damage to my front brake fluid reservoir leaking brake fluid everywhere. My buddies from behind thought that they saw my rear tire instantly deflate before I started to slide.
Thankfully this occurred on a residential street, in low speed, without much traffic and I survived the incident with a minor nose bruise and a scraped leather jacket. (I love my safety gear!) We then inspected the scene of the incident and the tire, now flat, was flawless. There were no punctures, there was no sand where I went down and my shifter/rear spool slid on the pavement, and I was not putting power down while turning.

What do you guys think caused this?

What can cause a tire to spontaneously deflate like that in the absence of a puncture?

Could it be it rider error/that I just leaned too hard and that pop I heard was not real (as memories in situations like these are quite fallable) ? I am open to any constructive feedback and hope to avoid this happening again.

You sure there wasn't any sand about? Unless you over inflated the rear by a huge amount I don't know what would cause a tire to do that and appear faultless afterwards. I'd think the deflated tire afterwards might be because of the rim being dented though.

box full of roofing nails, construction, debris, a sharp edge, could be anything. Have had this a few times, including on the track. Fortunately enough the tire deflated slow enough not to cause incident, but a sudden strike could easily cause this. Experience is the only way to manage the situaiton, just be glad your ok, bikes can be fixed.

Does sound like it came off the rim. The pop was the bead breaking away and instant deflate.
Why?? no idea....maybe under inflated.

One reason I like my TPMS

Glad you are okay .....could have been WAY worse. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't think an under-inflated tire would do this. You'd think there would be too little air left in the tire for any pop to be made - especially if it get so under-inflated the bead seal would break.

I know my buddy rode his ZX6r at least 120kms before I happened to be riding behind him pulling into a gas-station and noticed a rather flat looking tire. It was so flat you could just push the rubber inward. Possibly an over-inflated tire that then is heated up even more could cause it.. but damn you really need to be negligent to have a tire that over-inflated!

Mounted in wrong direction? I'd imagine you would notice that when you inspected it... Arrow pointing in the right direction (rotation)?

Faulty tire? Might let BMW know about this. They have had other instances of this.. Maybe a bad batch of tires? Dang.. It was a new bike right?

To the original poster - Give us some idea of the history of you and the bike. How much mileage on the bike, how much mileage on the tire. When was the last time the tire pressure was checked and what was the pressure. When is the last time the bike had maintenance done on it and what was done.

Are you still running the OEM Sport Attacks or did you replace them. There is a special version of the Sport Attack for the S1000RR rear.

It's designated as the "2c" in stead of the "2" and it's supposed to be designed for the S1000rr rim and extra power.

A friend had a similar problem at Infineon and his dealer said the problem was because he put the generic Sport Attack on. Apparently they are different. The BMW one is definitely more pricy. I can find out more if you want.

Just a thought......

Last edited:
I had an instant deflation on a car as I was getting on to the 409 from the 401 at the exit to Belfield Rd. You're coming in to traffic on the left most lane so you have to keep on the gas and the merge is curved all the way. The car hopped sideways across two lanes to the right before I knew what happened. Fortunately no cars collided. The tire store said the valve core failed. That didn't explain the brown stain on the seat fabric.

Glad to read that you walked away from your situation.

A few days ago I was heading out from my home in Richmond Hill, Ontario to Lake Simcoe with 5-6 buddies to enjoy the sunset, when my rear tire burst spontaneously on a clean residential road without debris in sight. The bike was on a roundabout going counterclockwise and I went down on my left 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gear, 20-30 kmph. I heard a pop before sliding. My massive rear tire managed to hit the curb, dented the rim, and my bike subsequently bounced back at me, hitting the right rear mirror resulting in damage to my front brake fluid reservoir leaking brake fluid everywhere. My buddies from behind thought that they saw my rear tire instantly deflate before I started to slide.
Thankfully this occurred on a residential street, in low speed, without much traffic and I survived the incident with a minor nose bruise and a scraped leather jacket. (I love my safety gear!) We then inspected the scene of the incident and the tire, now flat, was flawless. There were no punctures, there was no sand where I went down and my shifter/rear spool slid on the pavement, and I was not putting power down while turning.

What do you guys think caused this?

What can cause a tire to spontaneously deflate like that in the absence of a puncture?

Could it be it rider error/that I just leaned too hard and that pop I heard was not real (as memories in situations like these are quite fallable) ? I am open to any constructive feedback and hope to avoid this happening again.

I'm guessing bike said "No homo" and made its decision to abort. But in seriousness, just because you didn't see debris doesn't mean you didn't hit any. Tire would have to be very noticeably under-inflated to go off the bead at that slow speed so I'm thinking you punctured/sliced it open on something.

Read the line - the tire was perfect - no punctures

We then inspected the scene of the incident and the tire, now flat, was flawless. There were no punctures,

had to be bead related

Read the line - the tire was perfect - no punctures

had to be bead related

If he can't notice a massively over/underinflated tire I'm thinking he just might miss seeing a small puncture ;)

Doesn't the s1000r have a TPS?

To the original poster - Give us some idea of the history of you and the bike. How much mileage on the bike, how much mileage on the tire. When was the last time the tire pressure was checked and what was the pressure. When is the last time the bike had maintenance done on it and what was done.

That's what I was wondering, considering how hard it can be to break the bead on a deflated tire, had to be low.

Really dumb question on my part, but did you check the valve stem? I had a similar problem once in the car where the valve failed

Back
Top Bottom