SOA made me get into motorcycles! LOL | GTAMotorcycle.com

SOA made me get into motorcycles! LOL

tranquility

Long time lurker...but...at last I reveal myself to the Jedi...at last I'll have my revenge!!! Haha, nvrmind. :D

This interest was never strong enough or sustainable for me to actually pull the trigger and get a bike. However, I've had my fleeting moments in the past. I still remember as a kid my dad worked at Kawasaki and he would bring some brochures home. My brother and I would daydream maybe one day dad would surprise us with a dirt bike that we liked in the literature. We would be silly enough to run down to the garage just to take a peek to see if our delusion came true...which of course did not.

Fast forward a few years a girl I liked at a distance in late primary school went for a kid that already had his own sportbike. It's crazy, just in primary or maybe early highschool and he and his buddies already were a fledging biker team. Still, I didn't think much of bikes at that point. I suppose indirectly my mom's negative views about bikes affected me, how they are dangerous and the whole concept of 'body covering metal', vs the other way around when one's in a car. She did make sense.

Finally, fast forward a quarter of a century this hobby may have finally gotten its hold on me. You guys are going to laugh at me but I don't care cause it's funny. Mind you in recent years I had a knack for contradicting myself. For example, I said that I'll never buy a condo again and here I am living in one. I'll never get a coupe before buying a sedan...boom. So I'm watching Sons of Anarchy and it's an entertaining enough show but I keep telling my wife, what's with those Harleys, all they do is make loud noises and they're bikes, so obviously they're unsafe! Next thing you know I'm checking out Sportsters on the HD website. (I've since discovered that I'm more a sportsbike guy.)

I hail from Toronto, am in my 40s, I'm 5'7" (170cm), 145lbs (66kgs), my inseam is 29" (74cm) and my measurements are 32-22-32 (lol, kidding about the last part). The closest thing I've been on 2 wheels is my mountain bike, so this is totally foreign to me. Alas, I realize that I won't be the next Rossi so my main goal is just to be competent enough to eventually enjoy just riding and being able to take spirited runs. I'm pretty sure that I want a ~300cc sportsbike and narrowed it down to just a few choices; I don't see myself getting anything bigger and also don't see myself 'outgrowing' the bike...if anything, if I ever consider getting another bike, it'll probably be a cruiser instead of a bigger sportsbike. Still, before I even discuss and seek all your advice on the bike, I'll ask you guys about gear first: helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots, later on.

Anyway, that's about it for me. I'm late to the show but hopefully not too late. I really admire you guys that got to experience this hobby from such early age. I'm still in my infancy but hopefully will get a bike someday soon. At least the seed is finally planted.

e8a60ca55c7f7940471c2adc08724ced.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

after ~ 40 years, no doubt about it the best part of biking was starting out

cheers

You'll enjoy the hobby. I remember when I was a kid & see the results for the races. I told myself I will ride one day... Didn't though it would be that soon, but I got my license at 24. The only regrets I have is not getting it sooner.

That eventually lead to a cascade effect & I went on to get my firearms license. My next goal is my scuba license & then probably my pilot's license. Work only get in the way of things

Welcome. Everyone has their reasons to ride. What ever they are, do some research to start out right and not end up in the fake rider section.

Soa, wild hogs, motogp, or whatever turns your crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!
You may want to not look at a flashy/new bike if you are in a condo. They are a hotbed for thieves.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

e8a60ca55c7f7940471c2adc08724ced.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Ok I get it now...seeds...blooming...

You'll enjoy the hobby. I remember when I was a kid & see the results for the races. I told myself I will ride one day... Didn't though it would be that soon, but I got my license at 24. The only regrets I have is not getting it sooner.

That eventually lead to a cascade effect & I went on to get my firearms license. My next goal is my scuba license & then probably my pilot's license. Work only get in the way of things

24 and you regret not starting earlier? Boy...now I really feel like a procrastinating bum lol.

Welcome to the forum!
You may want to not look at a flashy/new bike if you are in a condo. They are a hotbed for thieves.

Tx I'm aware of that and will do my best.

Congrats and good luck. I got my motorcycle licence less than two weeks after I turned 16, I already had the bike when I was 15. :D

Congrats and good luck. I got my motorcycle licence less than two weeks after I turned 16, I already had the bike when I was 15. :D
Sure, rub it in a little more for those of us late to the party why don't ya!

Ok I get it now...seeds...blooming...

24 and you regret not starting earlier? Boy...now I really feel like a procrastinating bum lol.

Tx I'm aware of that and will do my best.
You can legally get your license at 16,so I felt like there was lost time

Welcome! It's never too late to start riding! I got my first bike when I was 24 and going through a rough patch in my life. At that time I never had an inclination to get a bike, heck it didn't even cross my mind. My dad, who used to ride bikes, suggested that maybe I should try it out, he said that once you're on a bike nothing else matters...and he was right. The next day I went and got my M1 and the following day I bought my first bike, haven't looked back since. 6 years later and the passion hasn't subsided, in fact its intensified immensely!

Get yourself some proper gear and some lessons and enjoy it! It seems like you're on the right track, get a used small CC bike to learn on and ride the heck out of it. Right now is the perfect time to get into the sport, lots of options for beginner bikes. Be prepared to spend some money too lol! it's an expensive hobby!

LOL, you cruel boy. So many things I could've done if I had a time machine haha. Enjoy your youth :)

Oh I did! But at 42 my youth might be somewhat over. Although my wife says I'll never grow up! :D

Oh I did! But at 42 my youth might be somewhat over. Although my wife says I'll never grow up! :D

Ya, I thought that I read it incorrectly but couldn't be bothered to change my reply. Anyway, great that you got started @15/16. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom