Who parks like this? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who parks like this?

Ya. And they're probably in that store checking out antiques and collectables. I don't know which is worse.
They were in a nearby restaurant. Couple in their 50's I think. Lady was on the Ninja 500. She seemed new.

Toronto regulations require motorcycles to be parked at an angle between 45 and 60 degrees from the curb. The scooter on the right and the green bike on the left are in violation.
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_950.pdf
TORONTO MUNICIPAL CODE CHAPTER 950, TRAFFIC AND PARKING
ARTICLE IV
Parking, Stopping, Standing
§ 950-400. General stopping and parking regulations.
(2)(b) Exemptions for motorcycles.
Despite the provisions of Subsections (1) and (3), a motorcycle may be parked at an angle, provided that no person shall park a motorcycle at an angle less than 45 degrees or greater than 60 degrees to the curb.

Because everybody brings a compass and protractor when they ride their bike. Let's face it, lots of law makers hate motorcycles. That's why we end up with stupid laws like this.

I see two turds and 1 bike parked responsibly.

Every bike parked at my work (Atrium/Edwards St.) is parked illegally then LOL

thats correct, but when they are in a row they dont ticket it. It would be stupid. Its to ticket when someone squeeezes their scooter between two cars not giving the cars ample room to maneuver out .

BTW, I thought you could actually legally parallel park a motorcycle ( ie. 0 degrees) but i guess you cant . Looks like between 45 and 60 degrees. lol

thats correct, but when they are in a row they dont ticket it. It would be stupid. Its to ticket when someone squeeezes their scooter between two cars not giving the cars ample room to maneuver out .

I don't follow. The issue is distance from the car, no? If there is 4 feet between cars and I park at 50 degrees you have the same problem.

BTW, I thought you could actually legally parallel park a motorcycle ( ie. 0 degrees) but i guess you cant . Looks like between 45 and 60 degrees. lol

Yes, all motorcycles can park parallel to curb as all vehicles are supposed to, but motorcycles get the option to park at an angle. In Toronto, at least.

I don't follow. The issue is distance from the car, no? If there is 4 feet between cars and I park at 50 degrees you have the same problem.

I don't understand your statement, what are you trying to say? If there is 4 feet or less of space between cars why are you or others parking or even thinking about parking between them? Do you know the owners of these 2 cars? If you park your motorcycle at 90 degrees (or at any angle for that matter) between these two "hypothetical" cars you make it difficult for either to leave; if your motorcycle is long for example a cruiser or tourer it becomes almost impossible without someone being hit.

If you park at an angle the car behind has just enough room to swing out....hopefully. At 90 it might clip your front end. The car in front...well hopefully they left room in front to get out.

when you confonted him/her about your concerns regarding his parking, what was the outcome? better yet, wtf is the point of this thread?

If you park at an angle the car behind has just enough room to swing out....hopefully. At 90 it might clip your front end. The car in front...well hopefully they left room in front to get out.

NO. The "car in front" could have changed three times over by the time that car has to leave. He has no influence on how close those cars back up to him when parallel parking. And now there is a motorcycle squeezed in that took what ever cushion he may have originally tried to leave behind him. There's another assumption out the window. Is the car behind him the same car that was there when he parked? Or was there one even there?

So the consensus here is that you should park facing straight across the road?

It really makes more sense logistically to park at a slight angle facing the flow of traffic. One would essentially start parking like parallel in a car, but back in at an angle. This way when it's time to leave if there's a car that's backed up to you, you're not pulling completely straight into traffic, then making a sharp right turn.

Of course that is all moot if you want to pull across you're lane of traffic to go in the opposite direction.

I can see a lot of people in here don't actually commute to downtown TO ever. If you want to have everyone fit you park perpendicular to the curb. It's the polite thing to do and no you don't get ticketed for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What an utterly nonsensical law. Imagine, people spent time considering some imaginary problem, soliciting input from experts and stakeholders, running it through legal, and getting it passed by council.

One of many

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Most bikes park at an angle where I park downtown.

The prolem is, that you then get people like Benny! Who feel that you're parking wrong, so they then mess things up almost as bad as someone parking parallel.

Sorry, but my bike doesn't fit perpendicular to the curb. If we all had short bikes that might work.

The prolem is, that you then get people like Benny! Who feel that you're parking wrong, so they then mess things up almost as bad as someone parking parallel.

Sorry, but my bike doesn't fit perpendicular to the curb. If we all had short bikes that might work.
walk down any Toronto street and show me a bike parked at a 45 degree? when I walk my 10 min walk from the subway (when I don't ride) I encounter about 5 roads with bikes all parked perpendicular. easily about 50 bikes. not a single one is 45. say what you want about it but that's how everyone parks. do it any other way and you are the one doing it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom