Who parks like this? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who parks like this?

I saw a scooter yesterday that was parked at 45 degrees, 45 degrees in the opposite direction, lol.

When I park, I do so in accordance with the bikes that are already there.

If everyone's parked perpendicular, then so am I.

Cops and parking enforcer dont tickets motorcycles for improper parking position. I've seen worse in downtown core

I don't understand your statement, what are you trying to say? If there is 4 feet or less of space between cars why are you or others parking or even thinking about parking between them? Do you know the owners of these 2 cars? If you park your motorcycle at 90 degrees (or at any angle for that matter) between these two "hypothetical" cars you make it difficult for either to leave; if your motorcycle is long for example a cruiser or tourer it becomes almost impossible without someone being hit.

Exactly. We are agreed. So what does the angle requirement accomplish?

Edit: Max. distance from curb could make sense as a requirement perhaps. Are some bikes too long to park perpendicular? Though as long as a hummer is wide? Not likely. No, I don't get it.

Last edited:
better yet, wtf is the point of this thread?

Well for one, to point out that parking with consideration for others is often illegal.

walk down any Toronto street and show me a bike parked at a 45 degree? when I walk my 10 min walk from the subway (when I don't ride) I encounter about 5 roads with bikes all parked perpendicular. easily about 50 bikes. not a single one is 45. say what you want about it but that's how everyone parks. do it any other way and you are the one doing it wrong.

Haven't been to that mess of a city on the bike lately, but the street behind Gretzky's was always parked at 60 degrees. Why? Because I use to arrive at 6:30 and park that way. If you're 90 degrees, you're illegal, AND wrong! whether everyone else is doing it or not. All your friends downloading music and videos illegally, doesn't make it right; this is the same thing. Sheesh, if they all jumped off a Cliff . . .

Besides, like I said my bike is too long, so are many others. The street I used to park on was one-way and narrow. All kinds of people would park illegally on the other side of the street, forcing the through traffic to attempt to crawl through the narrow gap between vehicles. I'd seen a few bikes hit as a result, but never been one.

Some of the Green Hornets would ticket bikes parked 90 degrees, that were past the signs, or any other degree, for that matter, but most were 90. One would ticket everyone parked 90 degrees, but he was a sub when the regular guy was on vacation.

Last edited:
Well for one, to point out that parking with consideration for others is often illegal.

If everyone is at 60 degrees, you can get just as many bikes in, and it's not illegal.
Better yet, they don't stick out into traffic.

Toronto regulations require motorcycles to be parked at an angle between 45 and 60 degrees from the curb. The scooter on the right and the green bike on the left are in violation.
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_950.pdf
TORONTO MUNICIPAL CODE CHAPTER 950, TRAFFIC AND PARKING
ARTICLE IV
Parking, Stopping, Standing
§ 950-400. General stopping and parking regulations.
(2)(b) Exemptions for motorcycles.
Despite the provisions of Subsections (1) and (3), a motorcycle may be parked at an angle, provided that no person shall park a motorcycle at an angle less than 45 degrees or greater than 60 degrees to the curb.

I see 2 bikes parked at 90 degrees and one at -45 degrees (or 315 degrees)

Yes, all motorcycles can park parallel to curb as all vehicles are supposed to, but motorcycles get the option to park at an angle. In Toronto, at least.

no they don't

"no person shall park a motorcycle at an angle less than 45 degrees or greater than 60 degrees to the curb."

Clear as day

no they don't

"no person shall park a motorcycle at an angle less than 45 degrees or greater than 60 degrees to the curb."

Clear as day

"a motorcycle may be parked at an angle" - 'may', not 'shall'.

Earlier text says all vehicles 'shall' park in the direction they were proceeding with the right front and right rear wheels no further than 30cm from the curb (i.e. parallel).

Motorcycles are allowed to park at an angle, if they wish, within the allowed angle of 45 to 60 degrees.

"a motorcycle may be parked at an angle" - 'may', not 'shall'.

Earlier text says all vehicles 'shall' park in the direction they were proceeding with the right front and right rear wheels no further than 30cm from the curb (i.e. parallel).

Motorcycles are allowed to park at an angle, if they wish, within the allowed angle of 45 to 60 degrees.

No... That makes absolutely no sense. What would the purpose of saying " within the allowed angle of 45 to 60 degrees" if you can park at any angle?

"Motorcycles are allowed to park at an angle within the allowed angle of 45 to 60 degrees"

No... That makes absolutely no sense. What would the purpose of saying " within the allowed angle of 45 to 60 degrees" if you can park at any angle?

"Motorcycles are allowed to park at an angle within the allowed angle of 45 to 60 degrees"

All vehicles are to be parked at 180 degrees. But, there is an exemption for motorcycles. Read through it again.

Are big scooters listed in another subsection, or is it assumed that they will be parked on the sidewalk?

Last edited:
If the so called ANY SIZE scooter has a white plate and on a sidewalk it should be fined. It is classed as a motorcycle!

All vehicles are to be parked at 180 degrees. But, there is an exemption for motorcycles. Read through it again.

Are big scooters listed in another subsection, or is it assumed that they will be parked on the sidewalk?

All vehicles are to be parked at 180 degrees BUT the exception is "no person shall park a motorcycle at an angle less than 45 degrees or greater than 60 degrees to the curb"

What's so hard to understand?

If you can park a motorcycle at any angle from 0 to 180, then why would they have "less than 45 degrees or greater than 60 degrees" in the regulation. Think a little.

No... Scooters are not listed because they are Motorcycles. And scooters are not allowed to park on sidewalks.

All vehicles are to be parked at 180 degrees BUT the exception is "no person shall park a motorcycle at an angle less than 45 degrees or greater than 60 degrees to the curb"

The one point that is interesting to me is the 'less the 45'...I always assumed it was 90 or less, and you could be parallel to the curb if you wanted to be. I rarely park on the street and when I do it is typically between 45-60, but I'll still have to keep this in mind.

What's so hard to understand?

If you can park a motorcycle at any angle from 0 to 180, then why would they have "less than 45 degrees or greater than 60 degrees" in the regulation. Think a little.

No... Scooters are not listed because they are Motorcycles. And scooters are not allowed to park on sidewalks.

read up the definition of exemption. Oh, and I was wrong it's 0 degrees, not 180. So, bikes can be 0 degrees and close to the curb, like cars, or 45 to 60 degrees with the back tire against the curb.

Last edited:
You guys are thick in the head. The law is so that people on bikes don't park parallel to the street, in the direction of travel. That way the bike is far less visible, especially at night, and is more likely to be struck by a passing vehicle. It's not to nail people parking at a 90 degree. Still, parking at 90 has it's own risks... not being able to signal to enter the road because nobody could see your blinkers, or your tail light... but it's far better than parking dead straight.

rebels

read up the definition of exemption. Oh, and I was wrong it's 0 degrees, not 180. So, bikes can be 0 degrees and close to the curb, like cars, or 45 to 60 degrees with the back tire against the curb.

The language is very clear here. You shall park your bike no less than 45º and no more than 60º. Not sure if you took math or not, but 0º is not within that range. This isn't even about exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom