Carrying alcohol in the vehicle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carrying alcohol in the vehicle

Thats interesting...I wonder how my GTI with the rear seats permanatley down would fair with that. I have never been in that situation, but always just toss it behind my seat or the passenger seat unless I have tie downs in the back since its just a big open space back there.

Thats interesting...I wonder how my GTI with the rear seats permanatley down would fair with that. I have never been in that situation, but always just toss it behind my seat or the passenger seat unless I have tie downs in the back since its just a big open space back there.
My car was a 1991 Civic hatch. I imagine you would be in the same situation. My suggestion ... throw a blanked over it so it's not clearly visible and obvious what you have back there.

The "seal" extends to the glue holding the box of beer closed, as I found out the hard way. I was driving a hatchback that did not have a trunk cover (factory option not purchased, so the cover was not a standard part of the car) with two buddies in the car with me. Smallish cooler in the trunk with some beers chilling while on the way to a party, with the remainder of the case also in the trunk. RIDE stop, cooler and case clearly visible in the trunk, questions asked, car searched, beer confiscated, and a fine for having alcohol readily available. There were no open bottles in the vehicle and I hadn't had a single drink (yet). Apparently if the case of beer had been unopened, we would have been okay, or if there were only two of us in the vehicle, both in the front, we also would have been okay. It's quite the catch. Basically any van, SUV, or hatchback is susceptible to the alcohol readily available fine if the alcohol is located anywhere any passenger can reach it.

Edit: technically even a sedan with rear seat/trunk pass-through would be susceptible, but the trunk contents would be out of sight during a routine stop.
Personally I think this is a big stretch and it's disgraceful to me that police use this to harass and charge people. Kind of like when you have too many empties to fit in the trunk so you put them in the back seat. It's obvious that you didn't just drink all those but you can still be charged. Or sometimes if I have too FEW I'll put them on the floor in the back seats because otherwise the small case would fly around the trunk and be smashed by the time I dropped them off. Too bad police don't seem to use much discretion when doing these checks as I also know people that have been charged for these things.

I'm very opposed to drinking and driving (I have cousins that have no parents because of it) and this type of thing is just ridiculous.

My Outlander is missing the cover and I don't usually use the one on my 944 so I'd be screwed if I got stopped.

Those guys that bring entire vans full of empties to the beer store must be pushing their luck, lol.

Last edited:
The "seal" extends to the glue holding the box of beer closed, as I found out the hard way. I was driving a hatchback that did not have a trunk cover (factory option not purchased, so the cover was not a standard part of the car) with two buddies in the car with me. Smallish cooler in the trunk with some beers chilling while on the way to a party, with the remainder of the case also in the trunk. RIDE stop, cooler and case clearly visible in the trunk, questions asked, car searched, beer confiscated, and a fine for having alcohol readily available. There were no open bottles in the vehicle and I hadn't had a single drink (yet). Apparently if the case of beer had been unopened, we would have been okay, or if there were only two of us in the vehicle, both in the front, we also would have been okay. It's quite the catch. Basically any van, SUV, or hatchback is susceptible to the alcohol readily available fine if the alcohol is located anywhere any passenger can reach it.

Edit: technically even a sedan with rear seat/trunk pass-through would be susceptible, but the trunk contents would be out of sight during a routine stop.

Personally I think this is a big stretch and it's disgraceful to me that police use this to harass and charge people. Kind of like when you have too many empties to fit in the trunk so you put them in the back seat. It's obvious that you didn't just drink all those but you can still be charged. Or sometimes if I have too FEW I'll put them on the floor in the back seats because otherwise the small case would fly around the trunk and be smashed by the time I dropped them off. Too bad police don't seem to use much discretion when doing these checks as I also know people that have been charged for these things.

I'm very opposed to drinking and driving (I have cousins that have no parents because of it) and this type of thing is just ridiculous.

My Outlander is missing the cover and I don't usually use the one on my 944 so I'd be screwed if I got stopped.

Those guys that bring entire vans full of empties to the beer store must be pushing their luck, lol.

You used to be able to follow my Godfather home sometimes, by the trail of empty beer bottles.

Drink and toss. If they're all empty, you wouldn't get harassed in that case.

You used to be able to follow my Godfather home sometimes, by the trail of empty beer bottles.

Drink and toss. If they're all empty, you wouldn't get harassed in that case.
I hear ya, but if the driver is 100% sober, and there's no proof of consumption inside the vehicle, what's the point of the charge? Prevent driver temptation? They may as well charge everyone with something like "excessive speed readily available" since all cars have the potential to break the speeding laws!

Empties would be exempt as there is "no alcohol' which is accessible. In that case they are just bottles. there is no regulations against carrying a bottle readily accessible.

These regs cover all vehicles including an ATV. It is legal to carry an open container or open case on an ATV ONLY if it is inside the rear box, so basically you can't just strap an open case to the seat behind you.

Empties would be exempt as there is "no alcohol' which is accessible. In that case they are just bottles. there is no regulations against carrying a bottle readily accessible.

These regs cover all vehicles including an ATV. It is legal to carry an open container or open case on an ATV ONLY if it is inside the rear box, so basically you can't just strap an open case to the seat behind you.

Does it still apply to an open case even if all the beers are sealed? What if you just said you bought them individually at the LCBO? They don't come in a case, then. I've also had the cases rip open while carrying them to my car.

I've had friends tell me their friends have gotten charged for only empties in the back of hatchbacks with no covers but I guess that could be misunderstood hearsay.

Does it still apply to an open case even if all the beers are sealed? What if you just said you bought them individually at the LCBO? They don't come in a case, then. I've also had the cases rip open while carrying them to my car.

I've had friends tell me their friends have gotten charged for only empties in the back of hatchbacks with no covers but I guess that could be misunderstood hearsay.

Yes open case, is still considered open alcohol. But if they are purchased as singles then they must be in the bag, supplied by the LCBO and not readily accessible, in other words not within reach of the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

Yes open case, is still considered open alcohol. But if they are purchased as singles then they must be in the bag, supplied by the LCBO and not readily accessible, in other words not within reach of the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.
When I buy singles they don't fit in a bag. More like 2 or 3 already opened boxes. I thought we concluded earlier that keeping them not accessible was only applicable to open containers. This is confusing. Everyone I know carries unopened wine bottles in the front of their car on the way to dinner parties.

wow.. Total BS! (The way the Law if being enforced, not your story).. Hell, in NZ we would be openly drinking in the passenger seat, and when stopped at the police checkpoints, as long as the driver is not drinking alcohol or drunk, you're good to go. We'd often take a "traveller" when heading into the city be in someones car or a taxi (as long as the cabbie didnt mind). I had a few years ago who toured NZ and made his wife drive so he could have beers while they toured around! hahaha!

we wont even discuss public drinking... lol.. when I first came here I used to take a couple "travelers" on the Subway enroute to downtown :) no one ever told me it wasnt kosher here! :) Now I just make a "mix" in my coke bottle ;-p

Last edited:
Take it to court, it'll get thrown out. Each bottle has its own seal.

Take it to court, it'll get thrown out. Each bottle has its own seal.
This happened several years ago, so that ship has sailed. I've often wondered if I had taken it to court and won, if the confiscated beer would have been returned, or if the evidence conveniently went missing?

This happened several years ago, so that ship has sailed. I've often wondered if I had taken it to court and won, if the confiscated beer would have been returned, or if the evidence conveniently went missing?

Likely would have been skunky by then..lol

I'm be riding home like this today. Think I'll have a problem?

A43QiVu.jpg

In answer to my earlier question I guess the RVer's (Winnebago) move all their half bottles of whiskey to outside storage compartments when not camped and if the case of beer has to be sealed they only drink the hard stuff.

What is the definition of "Sealed"? Does it have to be a government stamped "Duty Paid" type of thing or just any old seal?

If a couple of dabs of glue makes a case of suds "Sealed" just carry a glue stick and cigarette lighter. I doubt the factory glue is government monitored.

Re hard stuff and wine: You can buy heat shrink seals at any wine making store. Would they be legal on part bottles?

Some premium beers have a foil seal over the cap. Do they count as individual seals?

As posted by several if you use common sense and don't draw attention to yourself you likely won't have a problem.

An odd conundrum is that in TO if you drive following the absolute letter of the law you stand out like a sore thumb.

Back
Top Bottom