What should my next bike be? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What should my next bike be?

Can I get some opinions on this bike?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...st/1255618247?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
View attachment 38702

Some background info on the bike:
Original Owner
11,000km, centre stand and ABS
Originally purchased in Germany (Hail the motherland)
Was shipped to Winnipeg in a crate, some scratches to end bar, mirror and turn signal housing.
Was shipped again to Toronto (At this point, has probably been transported more KMs that actually ridden
Belt has never been changed
No mention of any electrical issues or rear wheel bearing being replaced

I had a 2007 F800ST, and still would if I didn't get hit by pickup truck. The Canadian spec bikes are actually closer to the European ones, the US ones have a bunch of different parts.

It has a pretty comfortable riding position, although mine had bar risers on it, but I'm pretty tall. If you're doing long distance on it, you're going to want to do something about the seat, there's not a lot of padding in the rider's position.

The drive belt costs $450 for the part alone, but it is easy to swap. There are no after-market ones available on this side of the pond. BMW says they are good for 40,000, but some people like having a spare for long distance.

Overall it's a pretty low maintenance bike. BMW worked out most of the kinks that plagued the earlier models.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

What do you guys think about this vstorms pricing?
Excellent Condition 2009 Vstrom 650 ABS w/Extras,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*4,500
That's a good buy. It has ABS, and useful upgrades. That set of cases is over $1000 alone and are very nice. Also with new tires, chain/sprockets, windshield, better seat, centre stand and crash bars, that is a good bike for a fair price. The mileage on that bike is very low and that bike can easily take you to 150k and beyond.
To give you an idea, that gel seat is around $200 and much better than stock. The centre stand is about $200, the crash bars are about $200 and tires/chain/sprockets are probably close to $500. It still needs a few small things for a good long trip, but it's very close.

I'm gonna suggest the Strombo as well.Ive never owned one but I've never heard anyone complain about them as far as reliability and comfort.

Naked bikes can be a real biatch on long hauls having no wind protection.Even riding around Lake Superior a few years back on my z1000 the wind at times was murder, if your doing a BC trip I think your far better off on a bike with proper fairings...

Just my 2 sizzles

My goal will be to get to fort Saint John as fast as possible, with a brief layover in Calgary to visit my brother. And then come back through the US as fast as possible.

I want to stealth camp, but I think it's safer to find camp grounds along the way. I haven't looked into pricing for overnight camping. Maybe I am way off, $20 a new night? If it's more than that maybe I will Airbnb for a bit more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I asked my Dad what he spent going BC and back (mostly through USA) and he did spend over $2000 for camping, gas, food and all that stuff. That was also with 2 last minute hotel nights (about $250 combined) becuase it started hammering rain and felt really uncomfortable to camp. He also did max days of 700km. Usually around 500km highway cause the old guy gets sore easily. So he had to pay to sleep more than you might if you put down longer hauls. I guess that would depend on your experience with long distances and comfort level. I've done 1300km on the interstate highways safely in a day before, but also regularly do multi day riding trips.

Most camp places are around $40 after tax. That's usually for one site with 1 car (or multiple bikes) and a family of 5. A single person still pays the same.

Stealth camping is doable on a bike. The tricky part is growing some balls and getting over that voice in your head saying something is going to go wrong. Unfortunately, homeless people sleep in the streets and no one bothers them. Chances are someone might talk to you out of curiosity but not to be bothersome. Just be strategic about where you stay.

Last edited:
I'm gonna suggest the Strombo as well.Ive never owned one but I've never heard anyone complain about them as far as reliability and comfort.

Naked bikes can be a real biatch on long hauls having no wind protection.Even riding around Lake Superior a few years back on my z1000 the wind at times was murder, if your doing a BC trip I think your far better off on a bike with proper fairings...

Just my 2 sizzles

I guess that depends on what your body is used to. I have zero wind protection on my Street Triple and am fine. I get shoulder soreness from my backpack far sooner than neck/head fatigue from the wind. And beause the bottom of my backpack rests on my rear seat bag, there isn't much weight. It usually take 5-6 hours of riding before I notice shoulder fatigue.

Having said that, a wind screen is definitely a benefit especially if you're not used to being battered around from the wind.

I was more bothered by the wind noise and the vibrations on my ninja 650 than anything else.

Ear plugs should help with noise.

Vibrations would be present on any V-Twin.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

$_27.JPG

very decent for your plans. One year earlier than my 650 Vstrom which took me cross continent.

Good windscreen...good luggage, 400 km range on a tank. Don't recognize the seat ....maybe a Sargent.

Go for it even tho I'd rather you bought my CBF :D

I'd tend to add hand guards at least or Tusks or Barkbusters ideally and perhaps frame sliders nothing like a broken lever to delay a trip.

Back
Top Bottom