What should my next bike be? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What should my next bike be?

If you were mostly happy with your Ninja 650 and it's power but the weight in the corners was your biggest complaint, why not look at the 2017 Ninja 650? It is 49lbs lighter than the previous year with the same power. You also get that nice trellis frame to go with it! Stock it comes with real handle bars, not clip-ons so it should be comfortable. Or you could look at the Z650. Same bike only naked! Everything is more fun naked! ;)

FJ at 12500 is grossly over priced .

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

All great choices. The VFR would be the bargain choice and sell it in Vancouver and fly home.

The F800St is priced a bit high as you should be able to get a F800gt for the same price. The FJ09 is not selling well so you should be able to get a big discount.

h

Good luck selling a '99 VFR with 115,000km in Vancouver. Especially if you buy it for $3,000.
I sold my 2000 with half the mileage for half the money. 2 years ago.

But yeah, VFR is great for long trips. Very comfortable. Sitting position is somewhat aggressive though for a touring bike.

However, Alvito is all over the place with his bikes. How much do you want to spend man?
If you want to go cheap, probably easier to find an older FZ1 or a Bandit in good shape, for a decent price, than a VFR.

If you want get rid of $10,000 then yes, why not a new FJ-09? It is true that they don't sell well and there's nice discounts on them.

If you were mostly happy with your Ninja 650 and it's power but the weight in the corners was your biggest complaint, why not look at the 2017 Ninja 650? It is 49lbs lighter than the previous year with the same power. You also get that nice trellis frame to go with it! Stock it comes with real handle bars, not clip-ons so it should be comfortable. Or you could look at the Z650. Same bike only naked! Everything is more fun naked! ;)

The seating position wasn't very comfortable either, the previous owner installed lowered handlebars, that made the riding position different. I loved the power of the 650. Handling was a bit difficult - I think due to my inexperience more than anything else.

Good luck selling a '99 VFR with 115,000km in Vancouver. Especially if you buy it for $3,000.
I sold my 2000 with half the mileage for half the money. 2 years ago.

But yeah, VFR is great for long trips. Very comfortable. Sitting position is somewhat aggressive though for a touring bike.

However, Alvito is all over the place with his bikes. How much do you want to spend man?
If you want to go cheap, probably easier to find an older FZ1 or a Bandit in good shape, for a decent price, than a VFR.

If you want get rid of $10,000 then yes, why not a new FJ-09? It is true that they don't sell well and there's nice discounts on them.

If I trek out to BC, I would ride back. I don't plan on selling the bike and flying back. I would feel comfortable spending under $6000 for the entire trip, that includes bike, tent, other gear... etc. I don't want to spend 10k on a bike. I was only listing suggestions from Kijiji that people had been suggesting. I wouldn't buy a brand new bike. I'm still too newb for that.

Well, then I will suggest a Suzuki Bandit/GSXF 600/650. They are excellent bikes. More power than you're Ninja 650. Comfortable upright bars. If not upright enough, simply add 1" bar risers and a slightly longer front break line. Lots of options for luggage etc. Very good road handling bikes and they are CHEAP now. Like $3000 will get you a low mileage one in good shape kind of cheap. They are bullet proof too so you can ride it to BC and back and never give it a second thought.

If your main goal is to ride out to B.C. and back what about a v-strom 650? A lot of them on the market already have touring gear like bags, comfy seat etc. Doesn't really hit the stylish mark but most bikes that would work well for going across the country aren't designed around looks.

VFR you linked would be cool but you consider yourself a bit of a newb. I have a tough time thinking a close to year old bike with 115,000km is a great idea.

If your main goal is to ride out to B.C. and back what about a v-strom 650? A lot of them on the market already have touring gear like bags, comfy seat etc. Doesn't really hit the stylish mark but most bikes that would work well for going across the country aren't designed around looks.

VFR you linked would be cool but you consider yourself a bit of a newb. I have a tough time thinking a close to year old bike with 115,000km is a great idea.

I owned my 2007 Ninja 650R for 3 years. I did routine maintenance like cleaning and lubing the chain, changing the oil and filter as well and replacing the battery. I've change the brake pads and rotors on my car before.

During the 3 years of owning the Ninja, I seldom rode it to work because I didn't want to get hit by a commuter rushing to get to work. Instead, I spent most rides cruising around after 9pm before bed time. There were also two long road trips that were quite enjoyable aside from the fact that I was leaned over a bit too much for my liking.

I consider myself a newb in comparison to a lot of the experienced riders and more mechanically inclined members on this forum. I am still learning.

Can I get some opinions on this bike?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...st/1255618247?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
$_27.JPG

Some background info on the bike:
Original Owner
11,000km, centre stand and ABS
Originally purchased in Germany (Hail the motherland)
Was shipped to Winnipeg in a crate, some scratches to end bar, mirror and turn signal housing.
Was shipped again to Toronto (At this point, has probably been transported more KMs that actually ridden
Belt has never been changed
No mention of any electrical issues or rear wheel bearing being replaced

Last edited:
fz 07 and 09 might be your ticket to happiness. theyre an awesome bang for buck.
fz 07 is just under 400 lbs wet weight..so pretty light for 689cc

Unfortunately difficult to find used since they're very new. The Triumph street triple can be found for 5k used and is a better bike. Aesthetically, the Yamaha is a bit nicer though.

The seating position wasn't very comfortable either, the previous owner installed lowered handlebars, that made the riding position different. I loved the power of the 650. Handling was a bit difficult - I think due to my inexperience more than anything else.

If I trek out to BC, I would ride back. I don't plan on selling the bike and flying back. I would feel comfortable spending under $6000 for the entire trip, that includes bike, tent, other gear... etc. I don't want to spend 10k on a bike. I was only listing suggestions from Kijiji that people had been suggesting. I wouldn't buy a brand new bike. I'm still too newb for that.

$6000 including the bike? Do you plan on rouge/stealth camping or staying in camp grounds? My dad went to B.C. and back and thing he spent well over $2k between gas, food and staying in camping parks (mostly KOA type of places).

If that's your max budget, you're probably looking at a $2000 to $3000 bike plus any bags and touring set-up. I'm sure you could find an older Honda Hornet, VFR, V-Strom, Katana or Ninja 650 in that price range with some patients.
How bout this already set-up for touring Yamaha fz6 - http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...z6/1255874410?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$6000 including the bike? Do you plan on rouge/stealth camping or staying in camp grounds? My dad went to B.C. and back and thing he spent well over $2k between gas, food and staying in camping parks (mostly KOA type of places).

If that's your max budget, you're probably looking at a $2000 to $3000 bike plus any bags and touring set-up. I'm sure you could find an older Honda Hornet, VFR, V-Strom, Katana or Ninja 650 in that price range with some patients.
How bout this already set-up for touring Yamaha fz6 - http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...z6/1255874410?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
I agree. That's a much better bike for this purpose than the BMW that got hit with the ugly stick.

My goal will be to get to fort Saint John as fast as possible, with a brief layover in Calgary to visit my brother. And then come back through the US as fast as possible.

I want to stealth camp, but I think it's safer to find camp grounds along the way. I haven't looked into pricing for overnight camping. Maybe I am way off, $20 a new night? If it's more than that maybe I will Airbnb for a bit more.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Closer to $30/night for paid camping has been my experience and in provincial parks it has been closer to $40/night. If you are riding with anyone else, some campsites will let you park both bikes and have two tents on the same site for the single use fee.

Campsites in the states may be cheaper and there are websites that are dedicated to free or cheap camping: https://freecampsites.net/#

Years ago I did a trip to Alabama and Mississippi and planned my sleeping around free campsites and it was awesome with some really nice places!

edit: you might also find value in this: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/budget-travel-the-jamie-z-way.315322/

and the tent space threads over on ADVrider is the best way to camp for free: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/tent-space-sign-up-thread.149585/

Last edited:
That FZ6 linked above would be a pretty good bet like mentioned.

If that BMW was actually purchased in Germany I'd take a good look at the import paperwork. Imports from the U.S. market are okay but there isn't guidelines set out to import a vehicle from the rest of the world until it is 20 years old.

...the BMW that got hit with the ugly stick.

Said the V-Strom rider.

Sorry Shane.

If that BMW was actually purchased in Germany I'd take a good look at the import paperwork. Imports from the U.S. market are okay but there isn't guidelines set out to import a vehicle from the rest of the world until it is 20 years old.

Perhaps it was one of those "buy here, pick up in Germany, ride Europe for a couple of weeks, ship bike home" deals. BMW Canada offers it with some of their cars.

via Tapatalk

^^ lol I know what I got and I bought it because it has a wealth of ugly built in. I lived in condo's for years and no one gets their 1st gen Vstrom stolen:) I even owned a KLR before the Strom so I am imminently qualified to call that Beemer one ugly bike:)

^^ lol I know what I got and I bought it because it has a wealth of ugly built in. I lived in condo's for years and no one gets their 1st gen Vstrom stolen:) I even owned a KLR before the Strom so I am imminently qualified to call that Beemer one ugly bike:)

As a Triumph Tiger owner, I am equally qualified.

via Tapatalk

I think you mean patience. ;)

Back
Top Bottom