Vessel JIS Screwdrivers @ Princess Auto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vessel JIS Screwdrivers @ Princess Auto

esphoto

Just in case anyone is looking for some JIS screwdrivers for the older Japanese bikes, a few Princess Auto's are carrying the Vessel brand. I don't think all the stores carry them but Barrie had them and are apparently a new item for trial to see if they sell. They are pricy but well worth it if you own an older carbed bike and do your own wrenching.

Another source for JIS screwdrivers is amazon,good if you don't want to buy the whole set. Vessel impacta #2 phillips lookalike is the ****.

Are all Vessel screwdrivers JIS? The Markham PA location had them in stock, but they weren't clearly marked as being JIS

As far as I'm aware all Vessel are JIS. From what I gathered, JIS was removed in 2008 as a standard but Vessel makes their Phillips to that standard since the JIS fits phillips but not the other way around.

This is not just older Japanese bikes. All Japanese bikes, even current models, use JIS. Never Phillips.

In a pinch, a large philips driver with the tip ground down is a usable substitute.

I highly recommend them. I picked up a set when i came across them at PA a few months ago. I had been dancing around the purchase online but couldn't justify the shipping and exchange. I was working on a cb750 and the side case screws are phillips. They worked beautifully, even grabbing the ones a po had begun to strip. It helps to that two in the set are also impact drivers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did somebody say JIS screwdriver?

Did somebody say JIS screwdriver?
Insert Japanese Industrial Standard joke here:

They aren't what you're thinking inreb.

Insert Japanese Industrial Standard joke here:

They aren't what you're thinking inreb.

I got mine from motion pro. It's not what you're thinking Baggsy.

Pozidriv works fairly well on partly stripped & rusty Phillips/JIS screw heads. Even new fasteners only get nicked slightly by the splines, which means they fit perfectly next time around. Removed fairings god knows how many times, no stripped heads on those super cheap screws. Atlas Machinery on Queen sells the Wiha brand, which is what I use.

I think JIS was really just a properly standardized system of cross drivers and fasteners (some will have a little divot off to the side of the cross), as opposed to the North American "Phillips" junk most of us buy from hardware stores. A lot of "metric" wrenches and sockets sold here are pretty variable too, unless you buy the good stuff.

A lot of "metric" wrenches and sockets sold here are pretty variable too, unless you buy the good stuff.

Same could be said about taps and dies. You want to be careful chasing valuable threads with chinese products. Some are nothing like Apple.

Zaphoid18, which PA did you get them from? Sounds like you got a half decent set, with impacts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom