Interesting routes to Lake George NY? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting routes to Lake George NY?

jc100

Spur of the moment trip...I have a start point and an approximate destination of Lake George in NY State. Crossing into the U.S. at the Thousand Islands Bridge. Any interesting routes to Lake George? I've been to Lake Placid a few times so I'm Ok with skipping that. Is it a waste (of mountain scenery) to head down to Utica and over to Lake George from there?

hopefully I'll get some ideas before I set off tomorrow and wing it.

Spur of the moment trip...I have a start point and an approximate destination of Lake George in NY State. Crossing into the U.S. at the Thousand Islands Bridge. Any interesting routes to Lake George? I've been to Lake Placid a few times so I'm Ok with skipping that. Is it a waste (of mountain scenery) to head down to Utica and over to Lake George from there?

hopefully I'll get some ideas before I set off tomorrow and wing it.

oh...and any tips for accommodation would be great too. I haven't booked anything. Aha.

Well this is a neat place. Paddle steamers sailing up and down a beautiful lake with a backdrop of tree covered mountains and a main strip that's kind of a mini Niagara Falls. I managed to Hotwire the Montreal Motel for $55 U.S. and it's pretty clean with only a smattering of drunks and a decent pool.

The ride down was not too bad. I went via Governeur and Theresa to Tupper Lake and then down along a few other lakes on route 9 along the Hudson River to Lake George. Some elevation changes, some whitewater and mountains to look at and some decent curves on 9.

No real wildlife to see except a family of wild turkeys.

Off to Ausable Chasm tomorrow and then some decent road hunting.

My not so fond memories of Lake George....the ride in from the north is very pretty, is getting trapped by some sort of parade with mostly Harleys - very noisy, very long, very hot.
Took a while to figure out a back route out of there.

So I took route 9N today for about 80 miles to Fort Tyconderoga and then on to Ausable Chasm. It was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Lots of elevation changes, lots of twists in places and scenic all the way along. Went rafting at Ausable Chasm which was fun. Fairly tame Rapids this time of year though. Haggled for motel room again and paid cash for the "special rate".

I'll look up that road Shane and see if I can work it into the return journey. I think I'll head back via Lake Placid.

Last edited:
Got back late last night. Going up Whiteface mountain is a must. It's a toll road, very steep, very windy all the way up to the parking lot but there's a 25mph limit. Then either a hike to the summit or take the tunnel by the bike parking to an elevator that will take you 29 storeys up to the summit. I found all the roads around lake placid to be pretty entertaining. Route 9 to route 73 was excellent but passing spots are few and far between so use them if you have slowboats in front of you. I think I'll be going back soon for a long day trip from Kingston to have a mooch about Saranac Lake this time. All road surfaces were excellent with paved shoulders and no gravel to be seen anywhere.

Whiteface is hilarious ....one of the few roads with whoops in pavement.

Actually went through Westport today on my way to Tremblant.

The asphalt up to the Whiteface summit is brand new this summer. If you like this ride, you'll love the ride up Mt. Washington.

This is also a great ride in the Lake Placid area: https://goo.gl/maps/Dnep2. About twelve miles, full of twists, dips, and turns, mostly medium speed, a ton of fun, and virtually deserted. A couple of corners with gravel, much of it is new pavement.

Nice .....last time was......interesting. ;)

Anyone poked their nose into Vermont this year - see if the roads have been repaired.....they were awful around the Mad River tho the road along the river was okay. Anything up a mountain was horrid.

This is also a great ride in the Lake Placid area: https://goo.gl/maps/Dnep2. About twelve miles, full of twists, dips, and turns, mostly medium speed, a ton of fun, and virtually deserted. A couple of corners with gravel, much of it is new pavement.

I just realized I did that road on my way to Whiteface. It was excellent. All in all I had a blast, I love the mountains and the change in air was evident. I could smell balsam fir at the summit of Whiteface and it was awesome. It's a long day ride from Kingston to head over to the area and zip about then come back but I'll be doing it again soon. I have to try the BBQ place between Lake Placid and Saranac Lake.

edit: I asked a local about the Vermont Roads and he said they'd been busy repairing and replacing but didn't give any specifics.

Thanks for this. I am going to Lake Placid this coming long weekend for a 2up camping trip - any other good roads/routes we should hit up?

Thanks for this. I am going to Lake Placid this coming long weekend for a 2up camping trip - any other good roads/routes we should hit up?

Go past Lake Placid onto route 73 then route 9. Get to the 9N and head south. These are nice roads, 73 is more twisty than 9, 9N is quite a bit better than 9. Take some time to ride the road up Whiteface. I liked the roads towards Long Lake and beyond to Lake George too.

I have to try the BBQ place between Lake Placid and Saranac Lake.

I think you mean The Tail O' The Pup on route 86 in Raybrook, www.tailofthepupbbq.com. Chicken, ribs, lobster, and clams. I had dinner there last month. A big crowd under the tent, live blues band, a great vibe. Highly recommended.

Sent from Z10 on Tapatalk

Of course, you can't go wrong with route 86 between Lake Placid and Wilmington. A brilliant stretch of road, one of my absolute favourites. Unfortunately, there's usually traffic and, I suspect, a police presence.

If you're looking for a place to camp, I was very happy at the Wilmington Notch camp ground, route 86 between Lake Placid and Wilmington, www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24500.html.

Last edited:
Of course, you can't go wrong with route 86 between Lake Placid and Wilmington. A brilliant stretch of road, one of my absolute favourites. Unfortunately, there's usually traffic and, I suspect, a police presence.

If you're looking for a place to camp, I was very happy at the Wilmington Notch camp ground, route 86 between Lake Placid and Wilmington, www​.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24500.html.

Thanks I'll be sure to hit up Rte 86 - we already booked at the KOA at Whiteface. I normally don't do KOA but this one is supposed to be really good. I'll keep that in mind for the next trip.

Back
Top Bottom