Speed trap: Triggered lights, no pursuit | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed trap: Triggered lights, no pursuit

DJ-RK

So yesterday evening I was going eastbound over the bridge where Adelaide merges into Eastern. I pulled ahead of all the cars at the light, so I picked up some speed going up the ramp and went full tilt into the curve. As I came around I noticed an unmarked car sitting on the left ahead of the median between the 2 merging lanes. I immediately slowed down, and just before I passed the car triggered it's lights that were visible through it's rear windshield. I wasn't sure if that meant for me to pull over, so I kept going at the slower pace while watching in my mirrors if the car was following, but it never did. I even got held up at the light at Broadview, so they definitely would have caught up if they were pursuing, but they didn't.

So what exactly happened there? Was I supposed to pull over and did I evade, or was that more or less a warning of sorts? Am I potentially to be expecting an unpleasant visit or ticket in the mail (along the same lines as a red light ticket)? I'm assuming I'm in the clear, but really don't want any nasty surprises.

Caught someone going the other way?

I considered that as well, but as far as I could tell the car did not move at all from it's position. I had at least a good 3-5 seconds of visibility of it in my mirrors. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think I recall any vehicles approaching from the other lanes. The lights literally just flashed for a second, just enough to alternate between red and blue once or twice and that was it, happened just as I was passing, so I felt fairly confident it was intended for myself

Last edited:
It's a warning to slow the hell down.
So yesterday evening I was going eastbound over the bridge where Adelaide merges into Eastern. I pulled ahead of all the cars at the light, so I picked up some speed going up the ramp and went full tilt into the curve. As I came around I noticed an unmarked car sitting on the left ahead of the median between the 2 merging lanes. I immediately slowed down, and just before I passed the car triggered it's lights that were visible through it's rear windshield. I wasn't sure if that meant for me to pull over, so I kept going at the slower pace while watching in my mirrors if the car was following, but it never did. I even got held up at the light at Broadview, so they definitely would have caught up if they were pursuing, but they didn't.

So what exactly happened there? Was I supposed to pull over and did I evade, or was that more or less a warning of sorts? Am I potentially to be expecting an unpleasant visit or ticket in the mail (along the same lines as a red light ticket)? I'm assuming I'm in the clear, but really don't want any nasty surprises.

It's a warning to slow the hell down.

yup, happened to me one late one night coming into Port Perry on Reach Street, where it goes from 80 to 50. Cop coming the other way, I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that he wasn't coming after me.

lucky day, prob just chance, ~ something else came up at the same time, that it didn't come to you,

lights on could be lotsa things (like a call in for something else) and doesn't mean you must stop, afaik, just driving by

coulda been a message just to let you know

might be you weren't much over? or enuff to take it further,

maybe your sudden decrease in speed was early enuff that it saved the day,

bikes have a small signature, maybe there was a number but radar needs to be locked on ~ just a wag

Last edited:

Most likely a warning... I was riding east 403 with some of my buddies on the weekend. Apparently we were going 150 at some point and crossing lanes recklessly. When we got to actual traffic speed cop pulled me over. He said "you and your buddies were going 150 back there BUT I WONT GIVE YOU A TICKET. Just slow down and tell your buddies. He didnt even get my license."... So next time you speed, dont slow down so cop wont pull you over. =)

Yep, that looks a lot better, notwithstanding the ****** pavement. Always ride in the left lane until it forces the merge into a single lane at the end of the ramp.

lucky day, prob just chance, ~ something else came up at the same time, that it didn't come to you,

lights on could be lotsa things (like a call in for something else) and doesn't mean you must stop, afaik, just driving by

coulda been a message just to let you know

might be you weren't much over? or enuff to take it further,

maybe your sudden decrease in speed was early enuff that it saved the day,

bikes have a small signature, maybe there was a number but radar needs to be locked on ~ just a wag

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. I definitely wasn't going super-fast, but since when has that ever stopped them? Someone's gotta pay for their donuts! I did manage to cut my speed pretty quickly, which would have been super obvious to them watching, but like you said, with the small signature of the bike it probably would have been difficult for them to pick up on radar.

Looks like it would take 200+ to make any fun out of that lol.

The fun comes from taking the turn at speed in the left lane, while the cagers are all in the right lane and slowing down, and passing them all in one shot.

sweet curve.

It's one of the few on my short 15-20 commute home. I'll take what I can get.

The fun comes from taking the turn at speed in the left lane, while the cagers are all in the right lane and slowing down, and passing them all in one shot.

No wonder you got the lights on (cops version of the checkered flag)! Next time you start at pole position! ;)

No wonder you got the lights on (cops version of the checkered flag)! Next time you start at pole position! ;)

This time around I did. Had the lead position from the lights at Parliament, so I came around that bend a whole 5 seconds (est) before the rest of the pack, so I was clearly the winnaaaar! :cool:

There were almost always cops there in the afternoon rush when I was in Toronto.

It's one of those classic off-ramp then sudden on-ramp situations with lots of traffic crossing both ways.
i.e. an accident waiting to happen. Best idea, is to start regulating your speed to a slower one in general.
When my speed starts getting above the norm for a while, that tends to be when I get a ticket,
I then slow down for a while, until the speed starts to pick up again.

It's a good idea to spread any tickets out, so that you're not getting dinged by insurance, and police at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom