*New Rider* Purchasing a 2011 Ninja 250 | GTAMotorcycle.com

*New Rider* Purchasing a 2011 Ninja 250

Good morning everyone!

I just recently got my M2 this past weekend from Riders Training Institute. They were really awesome. Now that I can obtain my m2 within a few days I've been searching for a bike. I found a 2011 Ninja 250 / Black. First owner with 400km. $2700. Pretty sure I'm going to get it but before I do. Is this a good deal? or should I try and find something else? Oh and it's got a new battery and the bike was his wife's who rode it once or twice a year since they bought it. And any thoughts on this bike? Will I run into any problems since it hasn't been used as often? Any opinions/help would be greatly appreciated!!

Happy Riding everyone!

Thanks.

Angelo

Last edited:
No idea about price, it is a good starter bike. Being only ridden only once or twice a year is not always a good thing for a bike if it is not properly maintained.

I would get someone who knows a bit mechanically. There is more to it then oil changes. Could very well be ok, but that is a lot of sitting around for a bike.

I think it's a good price. There are people trying to sell those bikes for like 4 grand.

Looks like a decent deal. I would look for any damage related to being dropped. If the bike is a good fit for you (seat height, handlebar-seat-footpeg dimensions), and you get an acceptable insurance quote then go-for-it!
Seller should also have UVIP on hand so you can check liens and ownership history (to match what they told you). Would be convenient if they certify for you, else maybe they can deliver to your house and you can go get the registration and Temp sticker so you have 10 days to get a safety cert yourself.
Other than the battery, something to watch for on bikes that sit for a long time would be gas gumming in the carburetor, but nothing I would be scared of resolving myself and a relatively easy fix at a mechanic if this was the case.

Looks like a decent deal. I would look for any damage related to being dropped. If the bike is a good fit for you (seat height, handlebar-seat-footpeg dimensions), and you get an acceptable insurance quote then go-for-it!
Seller should also have UVIP on hand so you can check liens and ownership history (to match what they told you). Would be convenient if they certify for you, else maybe they can deliver to your house and you can go get the registration and Temp sticker so you have 10 days to get a safety cert yourself.
Other than the battery, something to watch for on bikes that sit for a long time would be gas gumming in the carburetor, but nothing I would be scared of resolving myself and a relatively easy fix at a mechanic if this was the case.

Thanks man, I'm going to test ride it and how would I know if the gas would be gumming in the carburetor? If that was the case, would simply draining the gas tank be the fix to that situation? Thanks! oh and as for spark plugs, would those need to be changed as well?

Gummed-up carbs -> poor idle, hesitation to accelerate. Yes, fresh gas, and there are some cleaner-additives you can add to the gas. But again, may not be a problem.
Spark plugs should be ok at such low mileage.

Probably has the original tires and although they may have good tread depth, the rubber gets hard over the years. A 2011 model year bike's original tires may have actually been manufactured in 2010 or even 2009. There's a date-code on the tires (e.g. DOT4809 = 48th week of 2009). I'd budget $300. to replace the tires.

Test ride? Be prepared to have cash to hand over to the seller to be held pending the test ride ('you broke it you bought it').

Gummed-up carbs -> poor idle, hesitation to accelerate. Yes, fresh gas, and there are some cleaner-additives you can add to the gas. But again, may not be a problem.
Spark plugs should be ok at such low mileage.

Probably has the original tires and although they may have good tread depth, the rubber gets hard over the years. A 2011 model year bike's original tires may have actually been manufactured in 2010 or even 2009. There's a date-code on the tires (e.g. DOT4809 = 48th week of 2009). I'd budget $300. to replace the tires.

Test ride? Be prepared to have cash to hand over to the seller to be held pending the test ride ('you broke it you bought it').

Alright I'll make sure to look for those. And thanks for your help.

I think it's a good price. There are people trying to sell those bikes for like 4 grand.

Not a 250.

I'd be concerned about a bike sitting unused for 5 years, and frankly, I would suspect the odometer has been fiddled with or replaced. Look carefully at the grips and pegs, they should look like brand new @400km. If they are worn, something is not right. Check the UVIP for previous owners and mileage.

If the engine runs fine, nothing to worry about in the carbs, the plugs are fine. Look under the plastic bits with a flashlight for any signs of leaks, and look carefully around the brake calipers for leaks. The tires will need replacing, as they were cheap from the factory.
Look at the brake fluid, if it's yellow-brown it was never replaced, which means the coolant wasn't replaced either. Most people just don't do this.

Bounce the suspension up and down then look for any oil on the shock or fork tubes.

If it really has 400km and was stored correctly, it's fine.

Alright I'll make sure to look for those. And thanks for your help.

When you go and look at it put your hand near the engine to see if the guy started it before you arrived just in case it does have starting issues and he needed to warm it up a bit. Not a deal breaker but ideally you'd like your bike to start first time from cold.

When you go and look at it put your hand near the engine to see if the guy started it before you arrived just in case it does have starting issues and he needed to warm it up a bit. Not a deal breaker but ideally you'd like your bike to start first time from cold.

People do this for some reason, but trouble cold starting is usually a minor issue.

Ok, I'll make sure to do those things. Everyone here has been great help! Can't wait to start riding...if everything goes well...haha..thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom