Which "crush" washer? Copper, fiber, rubber | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which "crush" washer? Copper, fiber, rubber

bobjohnson

So I did an oil change on my bike the other day, and encountered yamaha's indented crush washer. Apparently, theres no leeway on replacing these guys, because its leaking like crazy right now. I cant get back to the dealer for a couple weeks due to my work schedule, so I went to canadian tire to get a replacement from the "universal" selections. I got a copper, fiber, and a metal-ringed rubber. Which one would you use? I feel like copper is a bad choice because of the aluminum pan/steel bolt, and I want to use the fiber one because I think itll mold into the dent for the OEM style, tell me why I'm wrong and which one I should use :)

Its an R3 if it makes a difference.

I can go get something different tomorrow if I have to, but I dont think any dealers are open tomorrow so it would have to be something from canadian tire or part source.

Copper will work. Fibre might break if tightened too much.

Copper and aluminum should never be used together (unless plated with tin). Aluminum will suffer corrosion (galvanic) when in direct contact with copper.

None of the three washers is correct to use. I'd use the fibre one, while picking-up the proper washer sometime this week and replacing it promptly.

Used an aluminum one provided by FS motorcycle on my buddys last R3 oil change. Was reused for a change after that, and no leaks so far. Hes almost at 12,000kms :)

Used an aluminum one provided by FS motorcycle on my buddys last R3 oil change. Was reused for a change after that, and no leaks so far. Hes almost at 12,000kms :)

Nice! I wish I had that many K's on mine, even after a 600 km round trip im only at 1200 and I commute every day on it :( Just not enough free time this year to get out and ride it, hoping to get some time in the fall.

I was looking for an aluminum one but surprisingly they didnt have any. I'll probably go ahead and use the fiber one, theyre made out of the same stuff as engine gaskets, so I think theyll hold up fine.

I have a fumoto valve on the car, and it came with a fibre washer. It's been on for about 6 or 7 years, and over 100,000km with zero issues. Put a Stahlbus valve on the bike, and since it didn't come with a washer, I just used an OEM Honda one (aluminum crush).

I have a fumoto valve on the car, and it came with a fibre washer. It's been on for about 6 or 7 years, and over 100,000km with zero issues. Put a Stahlbus valve on the bike, and since it didn't come with a washer, I just used an OEM Honda one (aluminum crush).

Have a stahlbus valve on my VFR, awesome bit of kit.

I just use the stock Toyota fiber oil plug washers on everything, since I have a lot of them for the oil changes on my car. Fiber ones won't likely cause any leaking issues, or corrosion issues.

aluminium. they are cheap enough - don't re-use them.

Back
Top Bottom