Smile, you're on camera. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smile, you're on camera.

All the gas caps of all the cars on my street were left open this morning.

Some dickbag is stealing everyone's fuel. I'm going to set up a trail camera...

Thinking of putting a "smile you're on camera" sign on my filler cap..

No name/address cards for the non-obese housewives? Nudge-nudge, wink-wink.
I was thinking the same thing; he likes 'em chunky. It's all good bro.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

That still wouldn't prove WHO was in the driver seat at the time the footage was taken.

Even if the driver was called to give evidence against you at trial, and during YOUR trial admitted that he was the one who took the footage from behind the wheel, the Canada Evidence Act for criminal offences and the Evidence Act of Ontario for provincial offences would prevent that statement from being used against him at his own trial were he to be so charged.

I see. It's the Catch 22 of evidence.

So.....I'm no genius. ...but a) gas is hella cheap right now, relatively speaking & b) take 2 seconds and screw the gas caps back on? Might take days for all the neighbors to chat and connect the dots and you're long gone.
Man, I may have wasted all this talent by choosing the narrow path. ?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I haven't owned a car made after 1987 that doesn't have a locking gas door... Even the one from 87 has a lock on the gas cap (but I don't have the key). The rest either locked with the doors (took me awhile to figure out why I couldn't open the cap when the doors were locked) or were only able to be opened with a lever on the inside.

Last edited:
That's up to the Crown to bother. but, in Canada, evidence is evidence, obtained illegally or not.

To a point. Judges have been known to exclude evidence on the basis that accepting it would bring the administration of justice into disrepute, but it is far from being an automatic response to improperly obtained evidence. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_Criminal_Procedure_and_Practice/Exclusion_of_Evidence

The case of one driver committing an illegal act by using a cell phone to video another drover's bad acts would not even come close to meeting the criteria for exclusion. While the act of cell-phone videoing by a driver is illegal, the evidence so obtained is not tainted by any Charter breach of the accused rights.

I thought that all cars made in last few years had check-ball in the filler pipe to prevent leaks in roll-overs. Makes it hard to stick a siphon hose in. My 2011 Ford has this at least...

To a point. Judges have been known to exclude evidence on the basis that accepting it would bring the administration of justice into disrepute, but it is far from being an automatic response to improperly obtained evidence. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Canadian_Criminal_Procedure_and_Practice/Exclusion_of_Evidence

The case of one driver committing an illegal act by using a cell phone to video another drover's bad acts would not even come close to meeting the criteria for exclusion. While the act of cell-phone videoing by a driver is illegal, the evidence so obtained is not tainted by any Charter breach of the accused rights.

I thought you were allowed to use handheld devices in emergency situations. You could argue if a driver is driving erratically/dangerously that video taping them to get them off the road, for public safety, would be ok in that case. I might be wrong, though. I've used my phone several times while driving to call 911 while I drive. I told them I was currently driving and they didn't seem to care (in fact they just ask for more details, keeping me on the phone longer).

I thought you were allowed to use handheld devices in emergency situations. You could argue if a driver is driving erratically/dangerously that video taping them to get them off the road, for public safety, would be ok in that case. I might be wrong, though. I've used my phone several times while driving to call 911 while I drive. I told them I was currently driving and they didn't seem to care (in fact they just ask for more details, keeping me on the phone longer).

My take is that you can use a device to summon police in an emergency situation. That is somewhat different from using a device to collect evidence.

The rationale I would assume is, if it is truly an emergency, why are you videoing the act instead of calling the police right away about it?

My take is that you can use a device to summon police in an emergency situation. That is somewhat different from using a device to collect evidence.

The rationale I would assume is, if it is truly an emergency, why are you videoing the act instead of calling the police right away about it?
This is a good point and if you contact the police later they will often tell you you should call them as its happening.

Would this by chance be a red pickup with a cap parked in North Ancaster? He's insane.

No. But I can pm you the exact address on Mineral Springs if you care. Hey, maybe it's you:p

Back
Top Bottom