first time rider insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

first time rider insurance

ssayedza

Hi everyone, new to this forum and riding. I recently purchased a 2008 honda cbr 125 from a friend and got my m1 yesterday. I understand that insurance will be crazy for a new m1 driver (only quote i could get was from TD, about 400 dollars a month). While studying for the m1 test i found out that inneeded to get something called the safety atandards certificate to put plates on it. My questions are

1. Are there any other insurance companies that can maybe offer me a better rate, or am i just going to have to tough it out till i get my m2?

2. Are there any other tests i need to do before i can register my bike and get it on the road? Are e tests for bikes a thing?

3. How much would i pay to register a bike at service ontario?

Thank you

Also ive always gotten a quote for the year but always assume its a month to month payment but ive heard people say you have to pay upfront for the entire year which doesnt sound right at all. Can anyone shed some light?

Last edited:
How old are you? My GS400 was $3000/year at 22 years old with an M1 in Hamilton. Deal with a broker; John R Duffy did my first year, and you can quote online.

Technically you don't need a safety to register if it's still registered as FIT. You can get a 10 day temp sticker so you can ride it to get it safetied, rather than trailering.

No e-test scam for bikes.

Registration will cost something like $20 for transfer, $20 for UVIP (if the seller didn't get one for you), 13% tax, $30 for plates, and $40-50 for your yearly sticker. Safety cert will be $40-150 depending on who you take it to, plus any repairs that need doing for it. Plus something like $15 for a temp sticker if you need. Fees are all listed on MTO site.

Usually you can't do 12 payments for insurance, but you can do like 3 or 6 depending on the company. I pay it upfront.

Last edited:
Ah forgot to mention, im 20 years old turning 21 in December.

Hm what do you mean if its still registered as "fit"? First im hearing of that how would i find out?

And how does the temporary sticker work? Would they gove you temp plates as well? Thank you

Checked the onwership, it says FIT at the top.. does that mean i can skip the safety test and go straight for insurance and registration?

most places will not insure you with only an m1 as it expires in 90 days, and you must show commitment to get m2 (registered in a course usually) to get the policy. getting your m2 will therefore NOT decrease you rates. the biggest things going against you are your age, driving history, and location. 400 a month is a little obsurd though, and to me that rate looks like you have 1 ticket/claim, and live in brampton.

most places will not insure you with only an m1 as it expires in 90 days, and you must show commitment to get m2 (registered in a course usually) to get the policy. getting your m2 will therefore NOT decrease you rates. the biggest things going against you are your age, driving history, and location. 400 a month is a little obsurd though, and to me that rate looks like you have 1 ticket/claim, and live in brampton.

Not true about the M1 thing. I actually was insured with TD MM with M1, no issues. What happens (at least what they told me), was they insure you at M2 rates, but if you fail to get your M2 in 60-90 days they drop you. As for lowered rates, from my understanding, and experience, after you have been insured 1 year you will see a drop, assuming no tickets and no at faults during that first year. I'm significantly older than the OP, but I was paying $1200/year for year 1 on my CBR250RA, and then it dropped to $540/year in year 2. No change going M1 to M2, or after telling them I passed the course.

Checked the onwership, it says FIT at the top.. does that mean i can skip the safety test and go straight for insurance and registration?

No - you still need to get a safety done. Temp sticker is a small 'T' sticker on a proper plate.

Hi everyone, new to this forum and riding. I recently purchased a 2008 honda cbr 125 from a friend and got my m1 yesterday. I understand that insurance will be crazy for a new m1 driver (only quote i could get was from TD, about 400 dollars a month). While studying for the m1 test i found out that inneeded to get something called the safety atandards certificate to put plates on it. My questions are

1. Are there any other insurance companies that can maybe offer me a better rate, or am i just going to have to tough it out till i get my m2?

2. Are there any other tests i need to do before i can register my bike and get it on the road? Are e tests for bikes a thing?

3. How much would i pay to register a bike at service ontario?

Thank you

Also ive always gotten a quote for the year but always assume its a month to month payment but ive heard people say you have to pay upfront for the entire year which doesnt sound right at all. Can anyone shed some light?

Call Paul south at surnet and you may be able to cut that in half

Back
Top Bottom