Well it happened.... | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Well it happened....

You're not Johnson?

Secondly - police fault and insurance fault are two completely separate calculations. While you can be charged by an officer, you can be deemed not at fault by the insurance company. Vice versa applies as well. For example, if you hit a patch of ice and veer off the road, you may escape being charged but the insurance company can (and probably will) still determine you to be at fault. I recall reading this in one of the long threads in GTAM's insurance section.. posted by an insider iirc.

How do you know my name isn't Johnson? It's actually pretty close.

I agree. So until we hear what his insurance says, he hasn't really been screwed yet. If it does turn out to be 50/50 then I'll have to agree that nice guys finish last.

I always tell people to go through insurance if they're not at fault. Less headache. I learned my lesson years ago

How do you know my name isn't Johnson? It's actually pretty close.

I agree. So until we hear what his insurance says, he hasn't really been screwed yet. If it does turn out to be 50/50 then I'll have to agree that nice guys finish last.

Your name is Thompson.

Got a call from the adjuster, he is coming out on Monday too see the bike, he has not spoken to DINKS insurance company yet so still no determination of who is or is not going to get screwed, I might know on Monday

I asked for Monday as I will be at home, have a full week and no time to sit around and wait especially when they can't give me a set time of arrival

By filing a claim he is screwed as well, and his premiums will go up as well, for me it won't be that significant for the bike, as the bike is the only thing insured with this particular company so it will not affect rates on car or house, so an increase on 400 bucks of 30 percent is not much, but I will at least know that he will have an increase on his vehicles insurance and I am sure the truck he was driving is costing him more than 400 a year....

If I am found not a fault nothing happens to me or my rates and my bike gets fixed, so it's not really a lose lose situation, and if it's 50/50 well premium goes up but bike still gets fixed

Taken the offer by the DINK truck driver of 200 bucks, I don't think so.....sorry that was just a slap in the face as far as I am concerned....

i could be wrong however I believe your insurance will go up on all your insurance not just your bike policy. if they find out and you are deemed at fault, When I make a change to my other policies I always get asked those questions with TD so I would be careful if plan on making any change to your other policies.

Wow I can't believe how much time and effort you are putting into this small claim. I guess if you have nothing better to do then have at it. Reminds me of the little old lady getting all upset at the Bulk Barn the other day they wouldn't refund her $1.50 in product because the receipt was over 30 days old. I was about ready to take a toonie out of my pocket and give it to her just to get her on her way.

Sure an incident like this sucks but you said yourself you have been riding for 30 years and no claims, if a $500 incident is the biggest thing you've had to worry about and you can squeeze $200 out of the guy I'd just take the money and cut my losses. I pay more in 2 months of insurance rates than you do for an entire year to put it in perspective. I don't think I'd die any happier having an extra $300 bucks in my bank account.

i could be wrong however I believe your insurance will go up on all your insurance not just your bike policy. if they find out and you are deemed at fault, When I make a change to my other policies I always get asked those questions with TD so I would be careful if plan on making any change to your other policies.

This is a possible, but renewals have just been done, so it will be at least a year before anything is changed if at all

Wow I can't believe how much time and effort you are putting into this small claim. I guess if you have nothing better to do then have at it. Reminds me of the little old lady getting all upset at the Bulk Barn the other day they wouldn't refund her $1.50 in product because the receipt was over 30 days old. I was about ready to take a toonie out of my pocket and give it to her just to get her on her way.

Sure an incident like this sucks but you said yourself you have been riding for 30 years and no claims, if a $500 incident is the biggest thing you've had to worry about and you can squeeze $200 out of the guy I'd just take the money and cut my losses. I pay more in 2 months of insurance rates than you do for an entire year to put it in perspective. I don't think I'd die any happier having an extra $300 bucks in my bank account.

not really a lot of time or effort, just doing what needs to be done, and what should have been done.

I tired to settle it with the Dink, I told him 500, he told me 200 and to get 3 quotes before he hands over any cash, I told him to stuff it and deal with his insurance, if found at fault, be it 50/50 or completely his rates will go up way more than 500 bucks and for many years to come....

That is what it is about now, he didn't want to man up and be civil about it, well now he can pay for it a different way.

I will be happier with him paying more over the years, than the 200 bucks in my pocket

Be patient your rates will go down, unfortunately it might be about 20-30 years, I have a feeling you are probably way younger than I am...

As they say, now it's the principal of the thing....and nothing more...

as for the little old lady, she will probably always have more cash than you, she wanted back in her pocket, where as you would be content to let it go, and even give your own money to her....think about it....you work hard for your cash, why give it away.....

I was always told, rich people are rich, because they keep their money, they don't just throw it away......

Last edited:
Well to finally put closure to this thread...........

I got a call from my Insurance Company not more than 5 minutes ago, and .......

I WON.......

So I have the option of taking the bike into a shop to get it repaired, and or get a cash payout of $650.00 either mailed out to me in form of a cheque or they will direct deposit it to my account.

I asked for the money......

I have been found NOT at fault in any way, this will not be on my record at all, and will not effect my rates or my standing and all should be good.....

I asked what about the guy who reversed into me, I was told his Insurance company was informed and they will be dealing with him on how they see fit, will this affect him or not, I don't know, I do hope so but it's out of our hands.

I will be getting the money from my insurance, and I don't even think they are going after the guy who hit me, at least that is what I gathered from my conversation with my insurance guy, too bad, as I would rather see the other company pay for this, but I guess it does not work this way, maybe because it's such a small claim ?

So it appears good guys do in fact win sometimes, and I am glad this time it was me.....

I have already purchased a new front half of the fender for my bike, cost me close to 200 bucks CDN, with shipping and the part coming out of the US, but it's a brand new fender and it's already painted silver, so I am one step ahead of the game...

The rest of the cash I will use to put in new fork seals, ever since the accident the left one has been leaking....

And whatever is left over, well I think I will take the wife out to dinner.....or pay for next years insurance coverage....LOL

I am glad it worked out.....

Cheers

That's awesome... Congrats!!!

got his business card and his license info, no insurance info, I will try to settle with him in a nice way, lets see how well that will or will not go...

Congrats!

Sometimes you can do it without insurance. Just keep in mind that 72hrs after your incident, you can no longer report it to police and you are SOL if dude decides to deny the whole thing.

I would write a simple document, acknowledging the incident, his claim of being "at fault" AND/OR at minimum his agreement to pay for your damages (within a reasonable limit, of, say $1000). You both should sign it, and be on your way to get quotes for repairs.

This way, if he doesn't honor it in two weeks time when you've got receipts and repair quotes, you may be able to go after him in small-claims.

Congrats!

Sometimes you can do it without insurance. Just keep in mind that 72hrs after your incident, you can no longer report it to police and you are SOL if dude decides to deny the whole thing.

I would write a simple document, acknowledging the incident, his claim of being "at fault" AND/OR at minimum his agreement to pay for your damages (within a reasonable limit, of, say $1000). You both should sign it, and be on your way to get quotes for repairs.

This way, if he doesn't honor it in two weeks time when you've got receipts and repair quotes, you may be able to go after him in small-claims.

I tried to go the route of man to man and asked him for 500 bucks he told me 200 and get 3 quotes, so I went through insurance, I won, got more cash and he gets to deal with his insurance
and hopefully his premiums will go up

I went the next day to report it and the police would not do a vehicle accident report, and told me it was less than a grand so just call my insurance company and deal with them

I tried being nice, no more, next time, it's straight to the insurance company.....

Thanks for bringing closure to this & congrats

Back
Top Bottom