Well it happened.... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Well it happened....

I'd give him a chance. I believe you have a good bit of time to report if you need to.

Damage costs will be minor if it's just the fender; probably no more than $500 including painting. Make sure your forks aren't bent though. If I were that driver, I'd easily be willing to pay up to a few thousand out of pocket. Even if it cost me the same amount I'd pay extra to the insurance company over the 6 years it's on my record, I'd rather anyone but the insurance company gets their hands on that money.

I am giving him a chance, sent off a nice email to him, going to wait for his response, I am not gouging him or anything pay for the damage and lets call it a day....I hope...

This is truly a tough one. If he decides to be a dik and not pay for damages, your stuck. If you report it to police without witnesses and/or video it will truly come down to he said/he said. At which point he will, (if he is smart), not go with the "you shouldn't have been there", but rather the "he rear ended me". I he does that and you have reported it to police, and your insurer, there are two potential outcomes niether of which are great. First you get a ticket, (likely for follow too close). second your insurer rules it is an at fault for you.

This is exactly why I now have two cameras, (one on the handlebar mount facing forward and one on the backrest mount facing to the rear). I was basically sideswiped three weeks ago by a guy who came into my lane to pass me on the right. He reported it to police and insurance as I had hit him. His insurer called me for the video as they were declaring me at fault. i said no video for you, MY insurer can have it police can have it but not you. Seems once he discovered he was on video his "story" changed.

I spoke to the police and prosecutions staff here at work, I can report now, or wait and see if he will settle with me man to man, if not, I go and make a report to the police and with that to my insurance and let it go that route.

Yes he can say all kinds of things, but we were fully stopped, he couldn't go forward because of traffic and he backed up to let the pedestrian go by, so me following too closely will be a stretch, but yes it will be his word against mine, and since I have no witness to validate my facts or his, it will be up to the justice system to figure out

I hope he will do the right thing and man up, otherwise his General Contracting company is going to have some very negative opinions out on social media....

Worse case, I cover the cost of fender repair, at least I have the winter ahead of me to fix it up.....

I'd ask him to pay for damages. If he refused I'd call insurance (you have a year to make a claim). I suppose it could bite you, though, if he lies and says you rear ended him. You don't need to call police if the damage is low.

I would have called the police as soon as he started to put the blame on you. Tell the police you believe the damage is over $1000 (bent forks/rim) and they should have come out to the scene.

+1 ...and you should have gotten his ins. info then, and witness info. Always. From what I understand, if you go the insurance route, your ins will ask for his info. Once they have that, your ins. will cover damages under No Fault coverage and deal with his company for reimbursement.

Hopefully the police don't ticket you for "following too closely."

No benefit in extending a helpful hand, report the accident,guy doesn’t seem to have your interest in hand.

Our daughter had a run in with a guy in Burlington a fewyears back (she was maybe 20 at the time and niaïve) he tried to pass her in themiddle lanes before going into a turning lane, when she moved over into the turninglane where it was marked he ended up beside her and they connected. Not going to debate who was at fault. Anyways the other driver looked at her andsaid we should just go our separate ways, little damage to my daughters car,they did exchange some info.

Later that day, she got a text from this guy claiming thatshe needs to pay him $10K for damages, oor he will report, etc… We tell her not happening she is to go intothe collision reporting centre. Turnsout this guy had already reported the accident stating that she was at fault,and misrepresenting what occurred (at least how we understood the story). She files her story, cops tell her there wouldbe no assessment of fault, each party would need to deal with their respectiveproviders. My daughters car was fixedwithout insurance, never heard further about the do_uche in Burlington.

Her lesson learned is no matter what, just call the cops, don’t leave yourself exposed.

I would have called the police as soon as he started to put the blame on you. Tell the police you believe the damage is over $1000 (bent forks/rim) and they should have come out to the scene.

It is not necessary for the damage to be over the threshold if the situation is "other driver not co-operating" ...

Don't work anything out. Go report it at a collision center even if you don't have his insurance, the plate is enough for the police an your insurance company. Report to your insurance that's what I would do. Don't waste your time chasing people for money.
In the end he isn't reporting anything that's for sure so you are one up on the guy already. That's when his insurance and the police will call after 2 days asking why he didn't report an accident.

I had a lady rear end me in my brand new car and she handed me a business card.....lol I was going to spit on it but said sorry I don't care what business you are in, I want your ownership and insurance. Assured her we would settle out of insurance but I lied. I have dealt with these "certain" people before and know their kind. If the roles were reversed they would be in their car calling their lawyers and the police.

You can still report the accident to the police for your own benefit and not go through insurance to give this guy a chance to man up. I wouldn't though

Its happened to me where people try to convince you they will pay when they think its such little damage but it's always 1000$ or more nowadays. Then they run away. This is why I run dashcams now.
You are not at fault. Don't give anyone the benefit. If it was you that hit him he would already be at his lawyers...... screw that.

Last edited:
Guess I'm the only one that likes to give people the benefit of the doubt.

You guys are right, though, that people that know they are at fault will sometimes tell you they'll work it out and then make the claim first to try to screw you over. Luckily that's never happened to me and all my not at fault accidents were very obvious who hit who.

I rear ended some lady a few years back and when I paid her her response was, "I'm so glad you're honest! My husband just told me to make a claim because you were just going to mess with me!" Then told my gf I'm keeper and offered to get me a great deal on a diamond ring if I ever get married (she was a gemologist). Also checked that having me pay her wouldn't make it so I couldn't afford food or rent or something.

If she had made a claim I'd likely be down to one vehicle on not riding since from what I've heard your rates quadruple. I know people in Guelph paying $450+ per month on one car because of a single at fault claim while I am paying $260/month on 3 vehicles in Toronto.

Last edited:
Guess I'm the only one that likes to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I think many of us have or know too well the negative experiences. While I would love to give the benefit of the doubt, its just too risky. I would be like you an be the honest guy.

I think many of us have or know too well the negative experiences. While I would love to give the benefit of the doubt, its just too risky. I would be like you an be the honest guy.

Yeah I guess I just haven't been screwed over that badly. I've had them refuse to pay but I just made a claim and it was fine. One guy tried to claim I hit him but unless I drifted into him sideways there was no way so I was found not at fault. If I got one or two of those guys that lie and it ends up being determined your fault, I might change my tune.

Glad you are OK

File police report and go through insurance

Get your forks checked too

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Call the guy, tell him what it will cost to make the bike right, keep insurance out of it. That's better for him and you.

If he decides to be a dick, file a police report, but do it soon.

I'm sure the driver realizes "insurance" is a fallacy, if he uses insurance, they will get far more out of him over 6 years than the actual costs.

He cannot claim you rear-ended him, because a simple photo can show the difference between backing into someone and a rear-ender by just looking at the height of the damage.

Thanks for all the feedback, the stories, and the good wishes, seems a lot of us have had good and bad experiences...

I will try to be the nice guy here and give the driver the benefit of the doubt and hope he will man up and do the right thing, I sent him an email and I will wait for his response if any, nothing by Monday morning well the cops are just downstairs from my office, and or a short ride to the reporting station, and then I will let them and insurance handle the problem....

I will spend the time now over the weekend going over the bike and make sure there is not more than what appears to be damaged, still lots of riding time in this season, so I have to make sure the bike is still safe, and if it's just the fender well so be it, that I can remove and run her naked.....

I will update this thread if anything new arises out of this, and will let you all know, if the nice guys always get shafted or not....

Cheers

I wouldn't be too concerned about being found at fault. At worst, it might be a 50/50 at fault. It's likely that logic would prevail that if you did rear end the guy hard enough to get your front tire lodged you'd have more damage to the bike from it falling over or injuries to your person.

Definitely report it to police. You pay for insurance. Use it.

I will try to be the nice guy here and give the driver the benefit of the doubt and hope he will man up and do the right thing, I sent him an email and I will wait for his response if any, nothing by Monday morning well the cops are just downstairs from my office, and or a short ride to the reporting station, and then I will let them and insurance handle the problem....

Years ago some lady backed over my bike while street parked and took off. Someone saw her and left a note, so I called police.
The cop advised me to sort it out with her. I told her what it cost to fix (~$200) and she seemed surprised I only wanted $200. A-holes just assume everyone else will act like a-holes.

You should've reported it immediately........ Both of you were on a roadway. You both left the scene of an accident and did not exchange insurance info and did not report to police. I know that sounds harsh ,but here's why I mention it. Few weeks ago one of my truck drivers is pulling out of a narrow laneway btwn 2 houses. Flashing lights and going slow. Gets onto the sidewalk and young man runs into the truck with his bicycle. No injuries but wants us to pay for the bike. Few days later lawyer says go ahead and pay to get rid of him after signing a waiver but the local police phone and demand to speak with the driver as they may want to charge him with the infractions mentioned above,WTF. Didn't get charged in the end but the officer said that ALL incidents,regardless of dollar amount ,should be reported. Even if you only get an incident number you will cover yourself.We've now changed our procedure for any one involved in anything on public property.

If you intend to make a claim on your insurance for a repair, there must be a police report.
Go to a Collision Reporting Centre and fill out a report.
Someone who tells you at the time they will pay for the damage will deny ever saying it a week later.

Back
Top Bottom