Motorcycle Fix It/Repair Classes... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Fix It/Repair Classes...

V

verity

I am thinking it might be a good thing to find a class or two in motorcycle maintenance. Might be useful to be able to identify certain problems and address them instead of having that 'new rider'owner beginner meltdown' over something that is simple but completely unknown. Maybe something for the fall /winter months? Just thought now would be a good time to ask.

Also can I get a few recommendations on good basic moto books that I should have in my library? I like to keep beginner/introductory books around as they are never out of date. A good book on motorcycles would be invaluable.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Proficient Motorcycling is about all you'll need for light reading on the art and some of the technical of motorcycling. It's not a great page turner as it's a compilation of articles, but the ideas and insight are invaluable, great drawings and photography to help illustrate points. This was written over a period of many years but the knowledge and stories within transcend time.

http://www.amazon.ca/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance will get you through the coldest part of winter if you're in the mood for a good read. It won't replace my copy of Animal Farm, but it won't get lost in the shelf either. This has little to do with motorcycle maintenance, more about living.

http://www.amazon.ca/Zen-Art-Motorc...rds=zen+and+the+art+of+motorcycle+maintenance

The basic principles of motorcycle maintenance and common element repair can be experienced on even the least technical of motorcycles, such as a Honda Z50. Clymer's and Haynes manuals tend to offer good general information as well as model specific tuning/repair information vs. a factory manual.

Last edited:
Www.ridertraining.ca

Look for their maintenance course.

Gain hands on experience using RTI motorcycles
Observe how to perform similar operations on your own motorcycle
Perform basic maintenance such as: changing levers, an oil and filter change, brake pad replacement, adjusting chain tension, etc.
Save money on future maintenance costs
We’ll provide the tools, you provide the enthusiasm!
RTI will provide the following in order to facilitate this course:
Instructor(s)
Basic hand tools
Tents for shelter from sun/rain
Student handouts
Miscellaneous shop supplies
(shop rags, brake cleaner etc.)

I am thinking it might be a good thing to find a class or two in motorcycle maintenance. Might be useful to be able to identify certain problems and address them instead of having that 'new rider'owner beginner meltdown' over something that is simple but completely unknown. Maybe something for the fall /winter months? Just thought now would be a good time to ask.

Also can I get a few recommendations on good basic moto books that I should have in my library? I like to keep beginner/introductory books around as they are never out of date. A good book on motorcycles would be invaluable.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

I have given this some thought over the last little while, and I am considering putting on a couple of workshops. What is it you (and other riders) would like to learn? How long do you want to spend "in class"? There are some good books out there, but this kind of stuff is much easier to absorb in the shop.

Www.ridertraining.ca

Look for their maintenance course.

Gain hands on experience using RTI motorcycles
Observe how to perform similar operations on your own motorcycle
Perform basic maintenance such as: changing levers, an oil and filter change, brake pad replacement, adjusting chain tension, etc.
Save money on future maintenance costs
We’ll provide the tools, you provide the enthusiasm!
RTI will provide the following in order to facilitate this course:
Instructor(s)
Basic hand tools
Tents for shelter from sun/rain
Student handouts
Miscellaneous shop supplies
(shop rags, brake cleaner etc.)

I did this one. It was decent.

Town Moto also has tech nights where they'll show how to do a lot of the same stuff...oil filter changes, chain maintenance, cable care, etc.

You should have your motorcycle's service manual at a minimum.

Actually, they go out of date pretty fast unless you work on older bikes.

Buy the shop manual, read it front to back. There are now literally thousands of YouTube videos on how to work on most aspects of a motorcycle, even model specific videos. Video training is the best way to learn, and train. Industries are learning this.

New bikes are heading towards being entirely dealer maintained, with various lights coming on telling you its time for $$, and proprietary computer interfaces that require a dealership to diagnose and reset sensors and warning lights. This is the wet dream of the industry, selling you the bike is just the start.

But once you learn the basics, you'll realize with most good bikes scheduled maintenance can keep a bike running fine well above 100,000kms without worrying too much.
Another good resource is finding a good, active, model-specific forum to give you a heads up on issues on any model and other's experiences with fixes. Many times, the OEM parts that fail are best replaced with better parts, not just OEM again, and some owners figure out better fixes than the factory.

Back
Top Bottom