Motorcycle gear - Who wears all black? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle gear - Who wears all black?

Rhht
My once black gear is more of a dusty grey or brown depending on the colour of the last gravel road I ran.

I wonder... is it possible that hi-viz gear could be more dangerous in certain situations? Example: What if you are riding down a dark country road and the drunk driver coming towards you is fixated on this bright alien looking thing riding towards him and runs into it? Lots of accidents happen due to target fixation... plowing into parked cars on the side of the road, for example.

It would probably be beneficial to have markings on the helmets as well.
It looks good though, for a 5 year old test/video.
It's nice to see them using Joe Rocket as their jackets.

Do we know what has happened since?

Does not look cool. Probably is not cool.

Here's a study that shows that there is no one right choice - black can be more visible than white or colours depending on the surroundings.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22062342

RESULTS: In experiment 1 the detection of a PTW depended on the interaction between its distance from the viewer, the driving scenario and PTW rider's outfit. For an un-alerted viewer when the PTW was distant the different outfit conditions affected its' attention conspicuity. In urban roads, where the background surrounding the PTW was more complex and multi-colored, the reflective and white outfits increased its attention conspicuity compared to the black outfit condition. In contrast, in inter-urban roads, where the background was solely a bright sky, the black outfit provided an advantage for the PTW detectability. In experiment 2, the average PTW detection rate of the alerted viewers was very high and the average reaction time to identify the presence of a PTW was the shortest in the inter-urban environment. Similar to the results of experiment 1, in urban environments the reflective and white clothing provided an advantage to the detection of the PTW, while in the inter-urban environment the black outfit presented an advantage. Comparing the results of the two experiments revealed that at the farthest distance, the increased awareness in the search conspicuity detection rates were three times higher than in the attention conspicuity.

Used to have black gear but then I didn't like the feeling of slowly being baked in the sun when stopped. Have grey stuff now which is a lot better on hot days.

Holy crap balls! I've been part of GTAM for I don't know how many years now. Users may change but the general attitude of it never will.

Constant ATGATT/saftey threads will never stop and that's ok, but man some of you get worked up. I guess that will never change either.

Giving your opinion is what this community legs but when it comes to these arguments that go no where it's getting a little old I guess.

If it's not illegal but drives you crazy I got this phrase I like to throw out. "Call your MP"

I didn't realize being younger allowed recovering from catastrophic injuries

oh yes, and 18-25 allows you to decide what body parts will be in harm's was in a crash, which is why they only need $250 gloves, an Icon back protector vest, t-shirt and flip-flops.

Seems to me all all black leather is damned hot on a sunny day, due to scientifical reasons.

fbd.jpg

I glad someone took the time. I wasn't going to bother.
I know, that is why I said you are welcome, I am just that helpful... and bored

Can't find it on the tapatalk app. The app sucks
Yea I don't use it, I don't find the need to go to gtam when I am mobile, only when chained to the desk or at home while wife watches Devious Mades and such.

My comments all were regarding the video of the BMW trial that Toronto police had done. They had appropriate markings on their jackets, bikes, and, I think, pants also. Like I said, it would probably be beneficial to have something on the helmets, since they had no identification on them.

There is a reason why safety professionals everywhere believe in Hi Viz. Black on a motorcycle is crazy and worse at night. Saying that, after buying a hi-viz vest of the yellow colour, I think there is some validity to the claim of yellow blending into some light backgrounds. Im suggesting that not all hi viz colours are the same and that the orange colour might be the best overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All black everything. I've had pieces of gear with a bit of color on them here and there, some with a bit more reflective material than others, but when ever I get new gear I look for all black first.

It's hard to not get all black gear. Some of the selection around here is garbage.

It's hard to not get all black gear. Some of the selection around here is garbage.

Agreed - even on websites, if you want a coloured leather jacket, your choices go from 400 to 10.

FWIW I'm not into Hi-Viz, but I like some colour on my gear, and I'd like to see reflective piping be used more. Jackets are SO expensive, yet they offer so little in terms of functionality.

I also think all-black looks just as bad/corny as high-vis gear... like, who you tryina be, Batman?! LOL

Back
Top Bottom