2005 R6 Coils Issues - Reistance Tests | GTAMotorcycle.com

2005 R6 Coils Issues - Reistance Tests

Fili-mac

I'm having issues with mid-high range power, i.e. no significant power. We've attempted to do a few test, compression (low readings on a dry test 150-160 ish, 240ish wet all four cylinders relativity consistent both wet and dry). Next we checked the spark plugs and everything looked good, testing the resistance on the coils we got the following results

Coil 1 Primary 0.4, Secondary 4.3
Coil 2 Primary 0.4, Secondary 6.4
Coil 3 Primary 0.4, Secondary 5.8
Coil 4 Primary 0.4, Secondary 4.8

The spec range is .17-.23 for primary and 4.8k-7.2k for secondary.

Is there any reason the primary #'s are so far off?

I'm gonna try to get new coils (Hopefully before Thursday, Mosport with RC) fingers crossed it works.

Last edited:
Buddies R6 is finicky in the same power band until the bike is warmed up (won't Rev over 12, loses power etc). Basically ***** for first session, he's had coils checked and valves done and it's still an issue. Same thing for 2 or 3 years now.

Not sure how helpful that is, I have same bike as him (03) and never had an issue.

Hope to see ya Thursday.

Buddies R6 is finicky in the same power band until the bike is warmed up (won't Rev over 12, loses power etc). Basically ***** for first session, he's had coils checked and valves done and it's still an issue. Same thing for 2 or 3 years now.

Not sure how helpful that is, I have same bike as him (03) and never had an issue.

Hope to see ya Thursday.

Re: 2005 R6 Coils Issues - Resistance Tests

Hope to see ya Thursday.

Coils on back order from yamaha :( ...

Anyone have an answer to why the primary # are way out of spec?

What is the typical life span on the Coils, and recommended replacement interval? the bike has +40,000 kms

I don't think the issue is your coils. A difference of 0.17 above spec should not be a problem AND all 4 coils are the same resistance. The odds of all 4 failing at the same time are almost ZERO.

I would look at fuelling. I am not familiar with the fuel injection on the R6, but a bad coolant temp sensor can richen the mixture and that may cause a drop in power if too rich. Also check throttle position sensor, manifold pressure sensor (if you have one) and intake temp sensor.

Also check fuel pump running pressure, flow rate and pressure drop when bike is turned off.

You could dyno the bike with a wideband O2 sensor and see if the mixture changes. If it does, then you have a direction to go.

Good Luck!
Frank

Last edited:
#1: Test your TPS sensor. I had the EXACT same problem on my 09 R6S (pretty much identical to your bike cept crappier brakes and suspension) and had it to three shops before anyone figured it out. New TPS and she ran like a champ. The issue is that at certain RPM and throttle positions the TPS would drop out (so ECU was reading way less throttle than was being applied, so would back off fuel and ignition timing) but of course the throttle blades are open normally, so it'd just lose most of its power. If I played with the throttle position (i.e. backed it off from 100% a bit) then I could get the power to come back.

A month or so after that I had a problem where when I twisted the throttle it would bog at first and take a while to pick up power. It was caused by a vacuum leak not letting the slide stops open efficiently. With the airbox off and bike at idle open it full throttle with a quick blip and see if the slides open quickly and if they all move at the same rate/distance.

If you have a power commander and want to install slide stops I made a "how to" tutorial, costs about $3 in material, makes the throttle response INSTANT at any RPM: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/51-how-tos/148224-how-$4-diy-slide-stops-05-r6-06-09-r6s-improve-throttle-response.html

You could of course buy the official slide stops: http://www.oppracing.com/product_display/8135-graves-motorsports-throttle-slide-stops/

The reason for requiring the power commander is that the bike will require WAY more fuel in some spots. If you're not getting dyno tuned I have the graves slide stops map I can send ya.

Last edited:

I'll be checking /clean the TPS next ... fingers crossed

Put meter on lowest range setting (for resistance obviously), and hold the probes together. When the meter settles, write that number down and subtract it from all resistance measurements.

Fictional numbers: lets say your meter has 0.7 ohms of internal resistance (leads, connections, wires, probes, board etc.). If you measure 0.15 ohms, the actual measurement is only 0.8 ohms. Not that it affects your measurements as they came in lower than the expected. I would suggest that if you are getting spark, it's probably not your coils, as someone else mentioned above.

Put meter on lowest range setting (for resistance obviously), and hold the probes together. When the meter settles, write that number down and subtract it from all resistance measurements.

Fictional numbers: lets say your meter has 0.7 ohms of internal resistance (leads, connections, wires, probes, board etc.). If you measure 0.15 ohms, the actual measurement is only 0.8 ohms. Not that it affects your measurements as they came in lower than the expected. I would suggest that if you are getting spark, it's probably not your coils, as someone else mentioned above.

Thanks figured as much, I'll check out the meter's resistance.

But let's play this out... if meter's internal resistance adds to the readings then the secondary values for coils 1 and 4 will be further out of spec...

Thanks figured as much, I'll check out the meter's resistance.

But let's play this out... if meter's internal resistance adds to the readings then the secondary values for coils 1 and 4 will be further out of spec...

No chance. Secondary coils are thousands of ohms... k ohms. The internal resistance will only come into play in very small measurements (primary coils, stator coils, etc.).

2.8 k ohms is 2800 ohms. Subtract your 0.7 ohms and it becomes 2799.3 ohms... which is still 2.8 k ohms.

What temp are the cylinders running at ?

how old are the spark plugs

While we're at it:

Leakdown? Modifications to intake tract? Exhaust? Programming (re-flash, power commander, bazzaz)?

Mileage? Clutch age/selection? Gearing changes (sprockets)? Charging system health (if not set up as constant loss)?

While we're at it:

Leakdown? Modifications to intake tract? Exhaust? Programming (re-flash, power commander, bazzaz)?

Mileage? Clutch age/selection? Gearing changes (sprockets)? Charging system health (if not set up as constant loss)?

Leakdown? - Huh ?
Modifications to intake tract? - None
Exhaust? - Stock
Programming (re-flash, power commander, bazzaz)? - PC III

Mileage? - 40,000km
Clutch age/selection? - assumed to be stock too
Gearing changes (sprockets)? - Stock
Charging system health (if not set up as constant loss)? - Had issues with the battery draining and not maintaining a charge.

When you mentioned that there was some irregularity with the compression test, the next step would be a leak-down test. But if I was a betting man, I would first focus my energies on solving the charging system, before going any further with the running condition.

Charging system is either bad rectifier or more than likely just a loose or bad(oxidized/corroded) connector to stator or rectifier. Mine was not charging and was fixed by unplugging stator and rectifier, cleaning contacts, and re-assembling with di-electric grease. Another buddy racing an 03 R6 had same issue and solved it the same way. I bought a replacement rectifier just in case as it is a common fault as it's in a dumb spot with no airflow.

I doubt it would contribute to your engine power issue though. My bike was still pulling hard right up until it shut off from lack of power(battery down to 8.5V).

Any Diagnostic codes coming up?

I agree with double checking the TPS. In diag mode, code 01:

Fully closed: 15-17
Fully open: 97-100

While opening throttle, check that value increases linearly.

If you have a power commander, you can check TPS function also, as well as calibrate it. It's under Tools/Set Throttle Position.

Back
Top Bottom