Running a red light camera in Hamilton | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running a red light camera in Hamilton

Go ahead and argue your 6th amendment right, but this is ONtario and not New York State.

You can also go ahead and argue that running a red when lights are red-on-red is different from when the lights are red on green, but the Highway Traffic Act makes no differentiation on those grounds. If the light is red and you run it, you have run a red light period. It matters not one bit what the light was showing for cross traffic.

I can save you plentty of time on the whole fair and square argument. It is fair as ONLY those who run a red light get a photo and a ticket. The arguements you posted earlier are advice for US cases no bearing at all on Ontario cases. Here the photo will show your vehicle plate, (which in the points to argue they said if it is blurred or unreadable, not sure how they send out a ticket to a vehicle they can't identify)..lol The fairness of the system has been tested more than a few times, Mostly without success

Now you say your not trying to justify doing what you did. But then you say it was a red on red light so less dangerous, (unless of course someone also ran their red light as you were doing). You say your concerned the camera was operating fairly, but acknowledge the light was red when you were in the intersection, (which by extension would indicate the camera was functioning properly and as such got you fairy). The most troubling portion of your scenario is you keep saying it was a "timing issue" but acknowledge the light was red. If you had time to observe the light had changed to red, then surely you also had time to see it was yellow prior to that. you then go on to say your speed was slow enough that another vehicle couldn't have hit you. But then the question becomes if the light cycled and you were going that slow then why not just stop???

The decision to stop or not shouldn't be a split second decision as a rider you should always be aware of your surroundings, (including upcoming lights). The decision should constantly being evaluated as you approach the intersection. So lets say it wasn't the light changing but rather a vehicle turning left in front of you at the intersection? Are you saying you would have just rode into the side of the vehicle as you would have been unable to make the decision to stop or not in time? Mistakes do happen we all make them the difference is some of us own up to them, and accept the consequences, while others seek to find fault elsewhere.
Correct but a lot of them make sense to me as they are simply common senses. If people just hand over $325 every time a photo is taken, that would make it an easy target for a revenue collection from tax payers. The reason for fighting is not for insurance purposes or anything else but rather to see if the law is applied to the tax payers fair and square.

As explained earlier, in this situation, it was a red on red light and not a red on green which changes the situation entirely. Also the speed was so slow so nobody was gunning the intersection to cause any death. I am not trying to justify the action but simply saying that there are conditions where a human decision made can't be quick enough to make everything handy dandy as life is so perfect and nobody ever makes any mistakes in their lives. We make mistakes in life but we must learn from it. The lesson has been learned but practicing rights is everyone's rights. If there is a foul play into this then it should be brought up and spoken of and if not, it is what it is and has to be accepted and move on hoping that it would never happen again.

Last edited:
Well they move the cameras around to various intersections and the google photo could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years old. So just because you don't see the camera in the google photo means nothing. While driving along Hwy 7 in Vaughan 2 weeks ago I seen them installing a red light camera, if I googled that intersection today the camera wouldn't show even though it is indeed there now.
That's pretty much every intersection in Vaughan.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

I went in to reduce mine and questioned the prosecutor on all aspects as mentioned above in this thread. Answered all of them to my satisfaction. This is not their first picnic. Ticket reduced to $220 in halton court. Lost 2 hours in there but they were efficient. Approx 25 people there in the morning and 15-18 of us were for red light on trafalgar. All were reduced.

Back
Top Bottom