New bike, old bike, oil change and service indicator | GTAMotorcycle.com

New bike, old bike, oil change and service indicator

Elena P.

A customer wanted to testdrive and make a decision on a new bike (over $20K). His old one got a "service" indicator, so he took the bike to the dealership, and really nice and helping people there let him take their demo (same model he wants) for a day while they change oil.
Bike was great, fits perfectly, customer comes back, his mind practically set.
However, when he got his old one out of service area, "service" indicator still there. He asked why they did not clear it - the response was "we just changed oil, we did not do any service, and we do not know if the service was done before so it is against our policy".
Ok, but can you clear it anyway? "It cost $60" (on top of $200 for an oil change).
Guess twice - will that customer ever come back there or not.

I spent more $ at a different business because of their better customer service. It's the little things that make the difference. I wouldn't be back.

I'd cause some trouble

I'd cause trouble too. What is a service indicator light? Never seen one of those.

I have that on my Ducati Diavel. Oil change message. Major service message. Supposedly can only be turned off by the dealer.
Quite common on the Ducati and a few other bikes.

I would have had more respect if that dealer did not clear the code and stuck with their policy reason, rather than attempt to extort $60 more.

Do I have the facts correct:
- customer goes into dealer for service due to service light on but only asks to get an oil change done.
- dealer changes only oil and chrages only for oil change
- dealer doesn't clear service light due to fact of not knowing if other services are required and does not have prior approval of customer to go ahead and do the extra service required.
- customer gets a free bike to demo for day while bike is getting a oil change
- customer complains because dealer didnt lie about doing a service they never did in order to clear service light

If the above is an accurate statement of the facts. I'd say the customer is wrong in this situation.

Last edited:
- customer goes into dealer for service due to service light on but only asks to get an oil change done.
- dealer doesn't clear service light due to fact of not knowing if other services are required and does not have prior approval of customer to go ahead and do the extra service required.
- customer complains because dealer didnt lie about doing a service they never did in order to clear service light

If the above is an accurate statement of the facts. I'd say the customer is wrong in this situation.

My Dealer does the oil change, cleans, lubricates chain, resets any notices that come on the screen. Checks torque for nuts, bolts etc. Gives the bike a test ride.
Yes, I can do this myself, cheaper. However, as the bike is also under warranty helps when the Dealer speaks in my favour later.
Does he lend me a bike to rip up. Nope. I take my tablet, walk around the showroom. Voila and its done. Also gives me a verbal on anything that might need my attention.
Never had a problem about the work that has been done. Bike is set up and ready to go. The mechanic has a chat with me and off I go, poorer but happy.
Where I go it is very much a personal service.
Sure they want my business and they get it because I don`t get a song and dance.
P.S. If I want a song and dance i can go somewhere else. Like a night club. Lol.

I agree with you 100% if what you wrote is the way it was....

OP why should the dealership reset the service indicators if the service was not performed....

My Dealer does the oil change, cleans, lubricates chain, resets any notices that come on the screen. Checks torque for nuts, bolts etc. Gives the bike a test ride.
Yes, I can do this myself, cheaper. However, as the bike is also under warranty helps when the Dealer speaks in my favour later.
Does he lend me a bike to rip up. Nope. I take my tablet, walk around the showroom. Voila and its done. Also gives me a verbal on anything that might need my attention.
Never had a problem about the work that has been done. Bike is set up and ready to go. The mechanic has a chat with me and off I go, poorer but happy.
Where I go it is very much a personal service.
Sure they want my business and they get it because I don`t get a song and dance.
P.S. If I want a song and dance i can go somewhere else. Like a night club. Lol.

if the service is not performed for what the service indicators say should be done, why are they resetting anything they have not done ? unless of course they have performed the required service items and then have done the reset....

If my car shows it's due for a service D, and I go in for an oil change and then complain why they did not reset the Service D that was showing, well the 120 dollar oil change does not cover the 1200 dollar Service D that needs to be done, so the dealership is in the right for not doing it......

Unless of course the service indicator was for the oil change...? Either case story needs to be clarified.

Back
Top Bottom