Gas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas?

I have no idea what grade of gas to put into my ninja 250... people say put 91 since gas for bike is so cheap already.... but later on, the few dollars saved on the regular does add up.... Is it okay to put regular into the bike? does it make any difference at all in performance or anything...? or will it damage the bike...?

What year is the bike? If it's an older model, use Shell 91. You'd be using it specifically for the absence of ethanol in it. If it's a newer model, and you're concerned about cost, then just run Regular 87 pump gas. Especially if your 250 is fuel injected.

Don't matter. It's a 250. Just don't put diesel in it.

Shell or Ultramar or Costco 91. Not because of 91 but because no ethanol. The internet says ethanol is bad for bikes.
The owners manual isn't clear to laymen, but most interpret it to say anything 87 or higher with no ethanol is ideal.
Those 3 are the only ones that I know of in Canada that meet that criteria.

unless you have a plastic/fiberglass tank ethanol won't harm except for storing.
ok to store ethanol gas with stabilizer?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Shell or Ultramar or Costco 91. Not because of 91 but because no ethanol. The internet says ethanol is bad for bikes.
The owners manual isn't clear to laymen, but most interpret it to say anything 87 or higher with no ethanol is ideal.
Those 3 are the only ones that I know of in Canada that meet that criteria.
hmm. Didn't realize Costco gas was ethanol free. And the other day is was $0.07 cheaper / litre.

ok to store ethanol gas with stabilizer?

better to get non ethanol gas as ethanol is hydroscopic and likes to gel.

my bike takes 87, i ride with 87, come storage time i start riding with 91 so that all the ethanol is gone, can take a couple tanks.

hmm. Didn't realize Costco gas was ethanol free. And the other day is was $0.07 cheaper / litre.

canadian tire too

http://pure-gas.org/ has maps, poi files and lists. another place to get pure gas would be a marina. not sure about small airports if small planes get pure gas or not

canadian tire too

http://pure-gas.org/ has maps, poi files and lists. another place to get pure gas would be a marina. not sure about small airports if small planes get pure gas or not
Thanks!

The 250 is designed to run on 87 with up to 10% ethanol.

Whether you prefer to run ethanol-free gas is up to you.

I run Shell 91, Canadian Tire 91, or Costco 91 in all my bikes. If I'm on the road, I'll burn through it quick, and I can't find ethanol free (as listed above) I'll run 87 unless the manual specifies better.

In the states there are a lot of places where you can get 87 with or without ethanol, costing more without obviously. Then I always put the ethanol free stuff in.

I ride mostly "old" bikes, and the only time I've ever had trouble with E10 was when I installed a new set of cheap float bowl gaskets and they expanded right out of the grooves in the carb body. However I just dried them out, put them back in and that was the end of it.

I always use stabiliser, though, and usually my bikes don't sit for more than 3 months

Manual for my CBR250 says 87 is fine. Was at Rosey Toes today because my bike has a small tick - Ted said to run Shell 91 (no ethanol) and the tick will go away. I'll have to see if it does on my next tank.

Spend the the extra couple bucks a fill up for the ethanol free stuff.

Manual for my CBR250 says 87 is fine. Was at Rosey Toes today because my bike has a small tick - Ted said to run Shell 91 (no ethanol) and the tick will go away. I'll have to see if it does on my next tank.

Spend the the extra couple bucks a fill up for the ethanol free stuff.

It probably won't go away, but it's not doing you any favours. Where's the tick coming from?

It probably won't go away, but it's not doing you any favours. Where's the tick coming from?

Sounds to me like valve clearance adjustment is needed. Not sure sure if it's normal or not... Need to find another bike like mine. I'm not overly concerned yet.

Sounds to me like valve clearance adjustment is needed. Not sure sure if it's normal or not... Need to find another bike like mine. I'm not overly concerned yet.

Ticking *can* be from the valvetrain, but rarely means the valves are out of adjustment. Valve clearance decreases over time, not increases, and tight valves are quiet - noisy valves are loose. Noisy valves are happy valves

My 2 cents:
I have been using only 87 octane on my 86 VFR for the last 11 years and 68,000 KM with out ANY issues.
For winter storage, I use SeaFoam in the gas and I don't bother for fog the engine with oil.

Back
Top Bottom