The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 92 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

My dashcam failed (to record) today, but some lady in an SUV blasted through the arm on the Gardiner & Jameson on ramp on Lakeshore today during rush hour...

It was quite amusing.... Somehow missing the 4-5 signs + flashing lights, flashing red CLOSED sign with arrow pointing towards lakeshore, arm across the ramp in front of her.... I suspect distracted driving - was easily going 60+ through the arm...

And yesterday a rider went under it.

And yesterday a rider went under it.

I assume the arm is down to relieve traffic on the Gardiner from slowing on that curve due to slow/improper merges (due to the bad design of the ramp). If the rider could get up to moving traffic speed and merge without impeding traffic, I don't see a problem with it - even if it is seen as illegal.

I've considered it when on my bike, but figured it's not worth the ticket to save 5 mins on a 1 - 1.5hr ride.

Last edited:
I assume the arm is down to relieve traffic on the Gardiner from slowing on that curve due to slow/improper merges (due to the bad design of the ramp). If the rider could get up to moving traffic speed and merge without impeding traffic, I don't see a problem with it - even if it is seen as illegal.

I've considered it when on my bike, but figured it's not worth the ticket to save 5 mins on a 1 - 1.5hr ride.

Given that it's well known this ramp is closed from 2:00pm to 7:00pm, on weekdays, it's rather dangerous for a rider to suddenly appear there.

Around the 30 second mark, you'll see a blue scooter on the left side of the screen. Dumbass nearly gets himself killed trying to drive through a red for some reason. Kid seemed fine as he hurried off. I talked to the taxi driver after he pulled over, got his info and forwarded him this link. He only got a skid mark across the passenger side.

[video=youtube;rnDKBA52WBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnDKBA52WBQ[/video]

Last edited:
Around the 30 second mark, you'll see a blue scooter on the left side of the screen. Dumbass nearly gets himself killed trying to drive through a red for some reason. Kid seemed fine as he hurried off. I talked to the taxi driver after he pulled over, got his info and forwarded him this link. He only got a skid mark across the passenger side.

That was an eBike lemming, not a scooter.

I don
t think it was a "scooter" as such, but another idiot driver on a eBike. Lucky he didnt get seriously hit!!!

[video=youtube;wIbgwyeIsp0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbgwyeIsp0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I'm watching on a small screen without audio, not sure what the issue was here?? the merging car or the car and rider at end going through a changing light??
Both things there so so common on GTA roads, its expected behaviour.

I'm watching on a small screen without audio, not sure what the issue was here?? the merging car or the car and rider at end going through a changing light??
Both things there so so common on GTA roads, its expected behaviour.

The only thing that I could see was the red car coming in from the left, failing to stop, and failing to cede right of way to the through traffic on the green.

Given that it's well known this ramp is closed from 2:00pm to 7:00pm, on weekdays, it's rather dangerous for a rider to suddenly appear there.

I still stand by my statement.

1. If the rider knows how to merge properly (merging without having the flowing traffic to take any action in order for the rider to merge), there is no issue. It is known that it is a short ramp and the ones that decide to go around/under the gate, should know to quicky pick up speed to flowing traffic. On top of that, a rider would have better visibility than a car would when checking their blind spot to merge and can adjust speed accordingly.

2. Even if the ramp is known to many to be closed between 2pm-7pm, that doesn't mean that a driver would be blinded to everything coming up on their right. (Which once again, should not have to take any action to begin with if the rider is merging properly as there is usually a sufficient gap since the speeds increase from 70km/h to 90km/h)

The only time I see that area getting backed up (during the times that the ramp is open), is when there are slow/unsure mergers with limited sight lines to see around the curve, or large vehicles that can't get up to speed.

That being said, I don't do it, but there is a bigger risk by just driving in the streets of Toronto.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;6N_hyMNjMNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N_hyMNjMNw[/video]

interesting! Didnt know OPP had very plain vans like that. Wasnt it Peel Police with all the unmarked vehicles a few years ago?

interesting! Didnt know OPP had very plain vans like that. Wasnt it Peel Police with all the unmarked vehicles a few years ago?

They still have them.

I still stand by my statement.

1. If the rider knows how to merge properly (merging without having the flowing traffic to take any action in order for the rider to merge), there is no issue. It is known that it is a short ramp and the ones that decide to go around/under the gate, should know to quicky pick up speed to flowing traffic. On top of that, a rider would have better visibility than a car would when checking their blind spot to merge and can adjust speed accordingly.

2. Even if the ramp is known to many to be closed between 2pm-7pm, that doesn't mean that a driver would be blinded to everything coming up on their right. (Which once again, should not have to take any action to begin with if the rider is merging properly as there is usually a sufficient gap since the speeds increase from 70km/h to 90km/h)

The only time I see that area getting backed up (during the times that the ramp is open), is when there are slow/unsure mergers with limited sight lines to see around the curve, or large vehicles that can't get up to speed.

That being said, I don't do it, but there is a bigger risk by just driving in the streets of Toronto.

Stand by it all you want. Just realize that drivers will not be looking in that direction and, unlike when they know the ramp is open, will be making moves into that lane rather than away from it. Given that they're oblivious to motorcycles at the best of times, it strikes me as a stupid move.

Stand by it all you want. Just realize that drivers will not be looking in that direction and, unlike when they know the ramp is open, will be making moves into that lane rather than away from it. Given that they're oblivious to motorcycles at the best of times, it strikes me as a stupid move.

I don't see how that is any different than any other highway ramp in the GTA. Those that want to speed by on the right lane will do so anyway whether they know if the ramp is open or not.

Regardless, we're entitled to our own opinion. I see a lot more stupid moves by bikers and drivers than merging on a highway from a closed ramp and don't see what the big deal is other than "THAT'S ILLEGAL!".

Which I should also add that those switching in to pass on the right is technically illegal as well.

Last edited:
I do not believe it's illegal.

[h=4]Passing to right of vehicle[/h] 150. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,
(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;
(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or
(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).
[h=4]Driving off roadway prohibited[/h] (2) No driver of a motor vehicle shall overtake and pass another vehicle by driving off the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (2).
[h=4]Non-application of subs. (2)[/h] (3) Subsection (2) does not apply to,
(a) a motor vehicle overtaking and passing to the right of another vehicle where the shoulder to the right of the roadway is paved and the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;
(b) an ambulance or fire department vehicle;
(c) a police department vehicle or a vehicle being driven by an officer appointed for carrying out the provisions of this Act;
(d) a tow truck where the driver is responding to a police request for assistance;
(e) a road service vehicle; or
(f) a motor vehicle overtaking and passing to the right of a road service vehicle or road-building machine where a person apparently employed by or on behalf of the authority that is engaged in the highway maintenance operation has directed the driver to pass it and the movement can be made in safety. 2009, c. 5, s. 46 (2).

Back
Top Bottom