The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 47 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

How many windshields are shattered by flying ice rather than all the other hazards left on the road? How much harm are we really preventing by expecting everyone to always clear off the ice from their cars, even when it's so thin as to be harmless (as in the videos of Toronto)? It's just so utterly unrealistic. It's just such a clear example of how society's "think of children"-itis makes people support really dumb things
Then withdraw your support. Don't be lazy, and clean off your vehicle. You drive in the GTA, you need all the help you can get.

Then withdraw your support. Don't be lazy, and clean off your vehicle. You drive in the GTA, you need all the help you can get.
I support allowing people to drive with whatever snow and ice is on the vehicle that doesn't hinder their line of sight. If any Canadian driver isn't prepared to handle flying snow and ice, then our licensing standards are way too low.

I support allowing people to drive with whatever snow and ice is on the vehicle that doesn't hinder their line of sight. If any Canadian driver isn't prepared to handle flying snow and ice, then our licensing standards are way too low.
Yes, you said "blah, blah, blah, people support really dumb things". So don't. Clear your ice like a normal human being would. If you are prepared to secure your vehicle, then you shouldn't be driving that day. Just my experience from having a 40' x 8' x 1" sheet of ice coming at me at 200+ kilometres per hour, on the Gardiner a while back. This cutting out a little peephole stuff, just doesn't cut it. It doesn't take that long, and the weather isn't that bad, or you shouldn't be driving in it. I don't know how to respond to your Canadian driver quote. Except, maybe you should do us all a favour and give up your license if that's the way you think. It's not a good attitude to have, and won't serve you very well if someone should get hurt.

Yes, you said "blah, blah, blah, people support really dumb things". So don't. Clear your ice like a normal human being would. If you are prepared to secure your vehicle, then you shouldn't be driving that day. Just my experience from having a 40' x 8' x 1" sheet of ice coming at me at 200+ kilometres per hour, on the Gardiner a while back. This cutting out a little peephole stuff, just doesn't cut it. It doesn't take that long, and the weather isn't that bad, or you shouldn't be driving in it. I don't know how to respond to your Canadian driver quote. Except, maybe you should do us all a favour and give up your license if that's the way you think. It's not a good attitude to have, and won't serve you very well if someone should get hurt.
So everyone should be expected to somehow clear the ice off their roof because you got a chunk fly at you on the Gardiner once? Is that the entirety of your reasoning or is there more to it? Because it sounds like you were spooked and you think it's other people's jobs not to spook you.

So everyone should be expected to somehow clear the ice off their roof because you got a chunk fly at you on the Gardiner once? Is that the entirety of your reasoning or is there more to it? Because it sounds like you were spooked and you think it's other people's jobs not to spook you.

Actually yes, everyone is expected to clear their vehicle...just like they are expected to keep their vehicle in good order and not have parts flying off. You may be the only one out there who doesn't mind having their vehicle damaged because someone else decides to be a lazy bastard. We have all seen how drivers in the GTA lack situational awareness and it only takes one person to swerve to miss that ice to f up an entire morning or evening rush hour...remember that idiot that came to a stop on the 401 for a garbage can a few weeks back?

a screen capture of flying ice damage from the other day. everything looks good and safe to me

1MKOogM.jpg

How many windshields are shattered by flying ice rather than all the other hazards left on the road? How much harm are we really preventing by expecting everyone to always clear off the ice from their cars, even when it's so thin as to be harmless (as in the videos of Toronto)?

It's just so utterly unrealistic. It's just such a clear example of how society's "think of children"-itis makes people support really dumb things

It's far more than a, "Think of the children!!!" issue. It's a basic safety issue an narcissistic careless people are creating the issue, by being too lazy to perform a basic task that people who live in a country with snow and ice shouldn't bat an eyelash at doing. This is one of those things that shouldn't have to be enshrined in law but people are just too self obsessed to do, so it MUST be so enshrined.

Damage to vehicles does routinely happen because of this especially, but not solely from ice coming off transports. As a result other motorists can't take the chance of being hit by flying ice and must try to evade. You don't know if it's a thin crust or a 20 pound block, until it hits you. The half inch or more that I removed from the roof of my own car, on that morning, made me wary of risking a hit from any such ice coming off the cars of others.

Tractor trailers present an interesting snow/ice clearing problem. A lot of the time, the truck driver picks up a parked trailer(say from a grocery store) with snow on top. The driver is not allowed to climb on top to clear it without fall arrest, the store has no suitable tieoffs to connect the fall arrest to. How are drivers supposed to deal with this?

Catwalks and/or trailer top brushes at every location a trailer could possibly spend some time? This just seems entirely impractical. Any trailer yard/depot with more than x trailers (10?) should be forced to provide the required facilities and or equipment.

Tractor trailers present an interesting snow/ice clearing problem. A lot of the time, the truck driver picks up a parked trailer(say from a grocery store) with snow on top. The driver is not allowed to climb on top to clear it without fall arrest, the store has no suitable tieoffs to connect the fall arrest to. How are drivers supposed to deal with this?

We can't, really. At my yard we have a piss poor ladder setup with some show grabber tools but it would take an hour (and be horribly dangerous in slippery conditions) to remove snow, and built up ice is all but impossible.

Myself, if I know that there is a lot of snow and ice buildup on the roof of my trailer I go across a set of local railway tracks that are particularly bumpy at speed in an effort to break it up, and then take a few corners with a little bit of momentum to hopefully scoot it off.

And as you touched on, if Someone picks up the trailer at a remote location there is little or nothing that a driver can do.

Why?

Because he probably got a text message that his mom was on her death bed.
You know I'm a fan of the cross thread humour. Well played.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Actually yes, everyone is expected to clear their vehicle...just like they are expected to keep their vehicle in good order and not have parts flying off. You may be the only one out there who doesn't mind having their vehicle damaged because someone else decides to be a lazy bastard. We have all seen how drivers in the GTA lack situational awareness and it only takes one person to swerve to miss that ice to f up an entire morning or evening rush hour...remember that idiot that came to a stop on the 401 for a garbage can a few weeks back?

It's far more than a, "Think of the children!!!" issue. It's a basic safety issue an narcissistic careless people are creating the issue, by being too lazy to perform a basic task that people who live in a country with snow and ice shouldn't bat an eyelash at doing. This is one of those things that shouldn't have to be enshrined in law but people are just too self obsessed to do, so it MUST be so enshrined.

Damage to vehicles does routinely happen because of this especially, but not solely from ice coming off transports. As a result other motorists can't take the chance of being hit by flying ice and must try to evade. You don't know if it's a thin crust or a 20 pound block, until it hits you. The half inch or more that I removed from the roof of my own car, on that morning, made me wary of risking a hit from any such ice coming off the cars of others.
Putting aside the question of just how dangerous it really is, can you guys tell me how you clean ice off your roofs without damaging it? I'm tall so it's easier, but how would a short person do it?

I don't object to doing it on a voluntary basis, but I honestly don't know how without risking damage to my car in the process.

Putting aside the question of just how dangerous it really is, can you guys tell me how you clean ice off your roofs without damaging it? I'm tall so it's easier, but how would a short person do it?

I don't object to doing it on a voluntary basis, but I honestly don't know how without risking damage to my car in the process.

Snow is easier than ice. Many car dealerships use these to clear off the cars. Supposedly non-scratching.

https://www.snowjoe.com/product/snow-joe-telescoping-snow-broom-with-ice-scraper-sjblzd

SJBLZD_4.jpg

There's some flex in the roof, hood, and trunk. Warm the car up for a few minutes and press down on the ice to break it free, then take it off in small sheets. Generally speaking when it's ice that you're dealing with, it's not as cold. If it's cold and you're dealing with ice, it's probably because you didn't clean it off when it was snow.

More importantly, if you know there's going to be an ice storm (we were warned about the two ice storms in the last 3 years), park the car in the garage. If you don't have the means to do that, put a tarp or an old blanket over the roof and trunk so that you can just take the tarp off the car and since the ice is frozen on the tarp, the ice will come off and leave the roof iceless.

If all else fails, as mentioned above, warm the car up for 10 minutes with the heat on inside the car and the ice should be warm enough to fall of the top easily.

More importantly, if you know there's going to be an ice storm (we were warned about the two ice storms in the last 3 years), park the car in the garage. If you don't have the means to do that, put a tarp or an old blanket over the roof and trunk so that you can just take the tarp off the car and since the ice is frozen on the tarp, the ice will come off and leave the roof iceless.

If all else fails, as mentioned above, warm the car up for 10 minutes with the heat on inside the car and the ice should be warm enough to fall of the top easily.

In the time that it took me to scrape the side and rear windows, the ice on the roof had become relatively easy to crack and remove.

Back
Top Bottom