The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 144 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

No one could accuse him or her of not being committed to that exit.

Anyone know why the truck was in the passing lane? Or is it just the generic GTA reason?

Anyone know why the truck was in the passing lane? Or is it just the generic GTA reason?

IIRC the right lane runs out. Imagine being a trucker and having to move over, with cars blocking your way. Better and safer to take the left lane early.

it's the way the highway is when it splits from 427S to 409
Closest image I could find was when some of it was under construction. But both left and right lanes exit to the 409. For me, the trucks are all driving in the wrong lane. It's not illegal, but it's still bad driving. The old "Why cut someone else a break? After all every driver in the GTA is a #$$%$%!!!" attitude. If you project the image below down the road, trucks are on the right.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7052...4!1slKwC5px8MIaNZ5XCCD6fMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Closest image I could find was when some of it was under construction. But both left and right lanes exit to the 409. For me, the trucks are all driving in the wrong lane. It's not illegal, but it's still bad driving. The old "Why cut someone else a break? After all every driver in the GTA is a #$$%$%!!!" attitude. If you project the image below down the road, trucks are on the right.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7052...4!1slKwC5px8MIaNZ5XCCD6fMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yup, I'm operating on old information. The right lane does continue onto 409. It does, however, exit onto Attwell.

R. v. Capobianco, 2010 ONCA 589 (CanLII)

ON Court of Appeal has stated the act of crossing a bull-nose is not illegal unless you do it dangerously. It's pretty clear the driver here checks off both boxes for S154(1)(a) "Fail to drive in marked lane"

(1) not driving in a marked lane
(2) movement can be made safely

When i'm entering the highway from an on-ramp, and there's a vehicle in front doing the Yellow Advisory 30km/h limit; i cross the bull nose. This is only on the cage, it would be dangerous on two-wheels due to the debris generally collecting on the bull nose.

There is no point in crossing the bull-nose for the off-ramp; it's the point of no-return for me, if it's missed i take the next exit and circle back.

I don't think the notion of driving and passing lanes hold in a cloverleaf, where the road splits and merges at several points in quick succession. Whichever lane gets you through the cloverleaf into the direction you want is the right lane. Then move over if you can.

Last edited:
I don't think the notion of driving and passing lanes hold in a cloverleaf, where the road splits and merges at several points in quick succession. Whichever lane gets you through the cloverleaf into the direction you want is the right lane. Then move over if you can.

But it's not a cloverleaf. It's a high-speed, banked 70 or 80 degree turn on a highway with two lanes, and it looks like some trucks eventually move over anyways. I consider it a nice thing to do, and try to do it where I can. In this case it might have turned an accident where someone dies, into a non-event.

I wouldn't normally cross the bullnose in IFly's situation either. Instead, I would slow down and look for an opening to move across two or more lanes to pass the person.
I've seen too many people blindly lane change into the next lane just after the bullnose, or where the lane ends, and you could get sideswiped.

[video=youtube;J-s21L7gxVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-s21L7gxVw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;qzLPJ32HSQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzLPJ32HSQc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Brampton

[video=youtube;J-s21L7gxVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-s21L7gxVw&feature=youtu.be[/video]
I didn't really see anything wrong with the second guy, except that he moved into the intersection when he shouldn't have.
But if the light doesn't have an advanced green, then that may be the only way to get more than one car through on the left turn.

I don't like to centre out one brand of driver, because unfortunately you all seem equally bad.

Someone posted this on Facebook with the caption "This is what you look like in the rearview of a semi in drizzle", and I thought it relevant.
If you look very carefully, you can see a car with it's lights out where the red arrow is pointed.
Put your lights on people!
17630016_3985945365233_3780748174919254295_n.jpg

Anyone know what happened on the WB 401 near Whites Rd last night?

I got stuck behind the accident for a couple hours. Looked pretty bad.

Someone posted this on Facebook with the caption "This is what you look like in the rearview of a semi in drizzle", and I thought it relevant.
If you look very carefully, you can see a car with it's lights out where the red arrow is pointed.
Put your lights on people!
17630016_3985945365233_3780748174919254295_n.jpg

Think it may be time Ontario puts in the a Law like New York State, if you wipers are on you require full headlight system on. GM is on the ball if I have my wipers on it automatically turns on all my lights

Why so much left lane driving?

it was cleaner than the right lane.

Ugh! You are part of the problem with Ontario drivers. Forcing others to use the lane you admit isn't as clear as the left lane when by law you should be moving over to let faster moving vehicles by.

Think hard about the people you ran to help during that accident. See all that damage and suffering? You are partially responsible for that. Not Fully. Not even 50%...but you still had a hand in it.
Forcing drivers to change lanes constantly to get around your slow moving vehicle.

It's my fault the other driver was going too fast for the conditions. If only I could control the stock market with my powers.

Probably down in the USA where some people still vehemently rail against DRL (Daytime Running Lights) and go to great lengths to disable them. At least now that they're mandated this is less of an issue, but when I started driving commercially in the 90's I used to see that exact photo in my mirrors very, very regularly.

However, I'm still amazed at how many people drive around cluelessly in bad weather without their full lighting system on - REAR lights don't come on with DRL's and the back end of a car can get equally as lost in road spray as the front end.

Worse yet is that it's my observation that some of the worst offenders are the police, specifically the OPP. They should be the ones setting the example, but instead I see almost every single one of them driving around with just the DRL's in horrible, rainy, snowy, foggy (etc) weather.

Think it may be time Ontario puts in the a Law like New York State, if you wipers are on you require full headlight system on. GM is on the ball if I have my wipers on it automatically turns on all my lights

Good luck with that. I think part of the problem is that so many things on a car have become automatic (like headlights) that people don't even think about the switch anymore and it's ability to override the lights to "ON" anytime. Some cars do turn on the full lighting system automatically when the wipers were turned on though - my wife's old Chrysler 300 had this feature and I loved it - but it could be disabled in the config menus, and again, some people surely do turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom