The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread | Page 132 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Bad Drivers of Ontario Thread

Of the whole 131 pages of this thread, theres maybe one or two dashcam vids of people staying behind to provide camera footage.

I can't speak for others but on the occasions when I've captured a collision on video, I've contacted police after getting home with a link. No reason for me to end up under a car at the side of the highway.

From the Surrey BC RCMP:

https://twitter.com/SurreyRCMP/status/817453582660366337

C1gtsr7WgAEQLat.jpg:large

[video=youtube;TCU-wfGpKxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCU-wfGpKxk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Boom at 15 seconds

[video=youtube;YG413xzn7c0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG413xzn7c0&feature=youtu.be&t=6s[/video]

2014 and a bad view at that...get some washer fluid people..
Perhaps time for a new thread title "Bad drivers of ontario 2017" videos...

The video title says December 20 and the video upload date is December 26, both in 2016

The trend is full time back lighting on instrument clusters + DRL's... Unlike the old days, when you'd look down and not be able to see your speedo, or pull up behind a line of cars and not see the reflection of your headlamps, there isn't an obvious sign (to some) that you forgot your lights with these problem vehicles.

Does anyone know why they still don't mandate full headlights/taillight all the time? Never understood the requirement for DRL's to be different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine it was to limit the increase in fuel consumption. Over millions of cars and decades of driving, it adds up to a lot.

401 aftermath

[video=youtube;yCk4Xqb5Dng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCk4Xqb5Dng&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Does anyone know why they still don't mandate full headlights/taillight all the time? Never understood the requirement for DRL's to be different?

The people who wrote the motor vehicle safety standards (decades ago) never dreamed of the possibility that an auto manufacturer would want to leave instrument lighting on all the time independently of the headlights. (Gauges were all mechanical back then)

Then came stylists who designed instruments that relied on being lit in order to look right ...

Then came technology that inherently emits light as part of its function ... (my car has a TFT display, and it's like this)

And the archaic CMVSS 108 (Canadian lighting standard) which is largely a copy of FMVSS 108 (very archaic US lighting standard) was never updated. It seemingly takes an act of God to get NHTSA to change their standards. It's why it took SO long to get away from the old round, and then rectangular, sealed-beam headlights. It's why we can't get the latest lighting technology that doesn't have a high and low beam with fixed patterns, but rather automatically detects where it should apply light and where it shouldn't (into the eyes of an oncoming driver).

There is a proposed amendment to CMVSS 108 that is intended to fix the instrument-lights-on-all-the-time situation. If the instruments are on, then either there have to be exterior lights on all the time or they have to come on automatically if the ambient light is below a certain level. I don't know if that proposed amendment has passed.

My car is one of those unfortunate models in which the instrument lighting is on all the time thanks to that TFT display. Fortunately, Fiat switches off the headlights together with you shutting off the ignition switch ... so you can leave the headlight switch in the "on" position all the time, and the headlights will be on all the time and the taillights will be on all the time, and you won't forget to switch them off and kill the battery because turning off the ignition turns the lights off. Works for me.

My current volvo, and in fact my long ago 95 volvo both have the lights circuit powered by ignition. In the interim, I had an A4 and constantly forgot to turn my lights off before getting out of the car. The buzzer thankfully reminded me. On light sensitive automatic operation, again it's been around since the mid 90's; either solution not being present on a 2015 is just cheap and lazy.

I'm just explaining the way people use the roads today. It's not unusual that the informal rules of the roads may have been different decades ago, because... change. But unless you drive a time machine, those lessons aren't going to be very useful to you on the roads today.

In fact if you insist on holding on to your own individual driving ethics in spite of what everyone else is doing on the roads we all share, you're only going to cause yourself unnecessary aggravation and stress. This is exemplified by your use of insults against myself and the whole GTA. Insults are a tool people typically use to resolve troubling questions that cause cognitive dissonance when they don't have a rational argument to support their different viewpoint. I mean it's all good and fine to have a different opinion if you have a reason for it, but if that reason is "everyone else is dumb and I'm smart" you're probably being dishonest with yourself.

Informal "rules" aren't really rules, just how some people drive. In Quebec for instance, passing on the right is illegal, as is driving slowly in the passing lane. Ontario has all of those keep right except to pass, and slower traffic keep right signs, so it's not as widespread as you'd like to think, except close to Toronto and where lots of Toronto drivers tend to go. I do pass on the right sometimes, as I'm the right lane most of the time, but it freaks the inlaws out, as they are originally from Germany. I had no intention of insulting you, I was confused as to your response. Everyone I know was taught to pass on the left if possible, not on the right. My approach to driving is to drive as if I am the second worst driver on the planet. (Everyone else is tied for first, so I have to make allowances for them.) It's worked well for me so far. I like to pass and get over. That way I never get into situations like that woman on the 427, because I'm long out of the way, and anyone "coming out of nowhere", has open road ahead of them.

My current volvo, and in fact my long ago 95 volvo both have the lights circuit powered by ignition. In the interim, I had an A4 and constantly forgot to turn my lights off before getting out of the car. The buzzer thankfully reminded me. On light sensitive automatic operation, again it's been around since the mid 90's; either solution not being present on a 2015 is just cheap and lazy.
All of my cars since the '90's have had an AUTO position on the light switch.
I tend to switch to On when I drive and back to Auto when I stop just to make sure.
The dealer puts the switch to Off when they finish servicing it.

All of my cars since the '90's have had an AUTO position on the light switch.
I tend to switch to On when I drive and back to Auto when I stop just to make sure.
The dealer puts the switch to Off when they finish servicing it.

Shop is dark enough to turn the full lights on, and for many services, the car is left in neutral which in turn means you cannot fully turn the ignition off; All this combines for a sure dead battery in bay. Simple days are gone.

Edit: The changes Brian eluded to would require the lights automatically come on regardless of headlamp switch position. Some mid 90's GM worked like this... I think my GTP was one, but that was a long time ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom