CBR F4 Electrical Issues | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR F4 Electrical Issues

I going to type up my entire experience in case someone out there has a similar issue.

I was riding 2 weeks ago when my '00 F4 died at light. I thought I may have bumped into kill switch, but that wasn't t case. I definitely didn't stall it because I have have clutch fully engaged. The lights went out and nothing happened when I hit the starter. Turned the key off and back on. My neutral light was super dim like the battery was done and the starter wouldn't crank. Three hours later I was able to boost it and rode it home. I even stopped for gas on the way back and it started fine at the station.

About a week later I checked the battery and it was still fully charged from my ride home, with no charging since. So I tried starting it and it wouldn't even click.

After checking the 30 amp starter Fuse I noticed the harness connection had a fried wire that melted right through the rubber. I have no idea how that happened but I am wondering how to fix it. Will I need to buy a new harness or can I fix that wire?

I will attach pictures to help give a better idea of the problem.

http://www.picoolio.net/

Use the "bbcode" to put the picture in here.

That's awesome, thanks!

Here's a picture
MockIt_140820152045353cd53.jpg

Looks like the connection got loose increasing the resistance causing it to overheat. I personally would just repair.

I would remove the burnt pins from the connector on either side and then either find a new connector to handle those two pins or if I couldn't see reason to need to disconnect them at that location in the future I would just solder and heat shrink.

The remaining pins would be cleaned and checked, then I would seal the connector one reconnected to ensure water did not enter the holes that were left when the pins were removed.
That's me, more interested in things working than appearance. Depends on a lot of factors that I cannot determine from the photo.

The main thing I would take from this is that I should visit most of the connectors on the bike and ensure everything is clean and tight to prevent a reoccurrence somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

Looks like the connection got loose increasing the resistance causing it to overheat. I personally would just repair.

I would remove the burnt pins from the connector on either side and then either find a new connector to handle those two pins or if I couldn't see reason to need to disconnect them at that location in the future I would just solder and heat shrink.

The remaining pins would be cleaned and checked, then I would seal the connector one reconnected to ensure water did not enter the holes that were left when the pins were removed.
That's me, more interested in things working than appearance. Depends on a lot of factors that I cannot determine from the photo.

The main thing I would take from this is that I should visit most of the connectors on the bike and ensure everything is clean and tight to prevent a reoccurrence somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot! I will definitely try that and then check all the connections on the bike.

For any old bike, it is a very good idea to open EVERY connector, remove any oxidation with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper on the "spade" and slightly crimp the "female" connector, apply dielectric grease, and re-connect.

This will give you YEARS of trouble free running.

Source: My 29 year old VFR :)

Back
Top Bottom