Did you hide your bikes expense from your spouse? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Did you hide your bikes expense from your spouse?

I gotta give props to guys that have fincial arrangement and lucky enough that the other party keep their words.

Lesson learned for everyone here.

As for anybody else that isn't so lucky, how did you guys get her to riding?

She's more of a consolation prize.

A more apt comparison would be like the loaner car that one would get when ones car is being repaired at a second rate body shop.

As far as hiding the expenses of a hobby it means that ether you picked the wrong partner or you need to work on your earning potential.

Far from it. I'm just good at what I do and make a decent living of it.

Ofcourse you're not billionaire ;). I'm simply making a point that its not just about making enough..... It's consensus issue. People seem to think money is the issue.

A buddy i know went to dental school, he thought once he's a millionaire his marriage wouldn't be so bad( tough to be married while going to school). He's now a successful dentist, yet his life style changed and his marriage got bad again. Apparently driving S class, living in mansion isn't enough. His wife also shops like no tommorow. They bought a $35k Sony 4k projector for the basement entertainment room. So what is enough?

I have a separate account for racing and anything related to riding, once that account is empty I stop (hasn't happened yet), I never go into our joint account and use our family money for playing... She would be ok if i do, but i refuse to. I also never use credit to pay for racing/track days, i might pay with a CC for comfort but i pay it right away back with cash, would never compromise family finances for bike related items.

If I was young and fast and had a chance to make it as a pro racer maybe I would take up a loan but at this point racing and track days is just fun, i ain't going to be the next rossi so why get into debt for it.

Her - You got a package today.
Me - Nice.
Her - Is it a motorcycle part?
Me - Maybe not this time!
Her - Ooooh!
Me - Kidding. Motorcycle part.

I have a separate account for racing and anything related to riding, once that account is empty I stop (hasn't happened yet), I never go into our joint account and use our family money for playing... She would be ok if i do, but i refuse to. I also never use credit to pay for racing/track days, i might pay with a CC for comfort but i pay it right away back with cash, would never compromise family finances for bike related items.

If I was young and fast and had a chance to make it as a pro racer maybe I would take up a loan but at this point racing and track days is just fun, i ain't going to be the next rossi so why get into debt for it.

How did you go about having your wife to agree to having separate accounts? Most would say all the money must be joint acct and every expense must be agreed on

every expense must be agreed on

I'd shoot myself in the face. She's an extreme cheapskate.

Joint expenses and savings/investments are taken out of the joint account, that's it. No questions asked when sh1t is bought with pure disposable cash monies. Just the occasional snide remark.

Total expenses are $xxxx

Into joint I put in $yyy

She puts in $yyy

Simplified version

Never have money issues ever

How did you go about having your wife to agree to having separate accounts? Most would say all the money must be joint acct and every expense must be agreed on

We were and still are two separate people with separate accounts, when we married we agreed to open a joint account, paychecks get deposited in each individual accounts and certain amount of money goes into the joint account from each one of us and all bills (Mortgage, etc) get paid from that account, we have also made some investments and made some coin so all that stays there as the buffer and savings.

Once kids are born each will have their own separate savings account for college etc.
Each one of us pay our individual expenses from our own account (individual CC, gas, personal phone etc)

If she wants to buy a dress or shoes or a car, she does from her own money, if i want to buy a motorcycle or race or whatever I do from my own money, the family money is never touched for those kinds of things and continues to pay the bills and grow.

It works well for us, there is no hiding of money or expenses or purchases but we still maintain our individual accounts. Trust on each others capacities of managing our money and not compromise the household is also important.

Normally purchase conversations in our house go like this:

Person 1: I am going to buy X
Person 2: Ok.

Is more of a FYI and not a permission statement.

Me - Nice.
Her - Ooooh!
Lol! You're such an ahole! That would get me the couch for a week! Lol

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Mine refuses to have a joint account. 16 years. Maybe because she makes more money than I do. Plus I might spend it all on ice cream.

Me - Nice.
Her - Ooooh!

That's hilarious!
I may have fudged a "few" numbers when I was still racing, but never used "family" money to race anyway.
We always discuss any major purchases.

I think I would rather have it like ZX600 described in post #32
Also, for some reason I pictured you already having kids Chad.

I think I would rather have it like ZX600 described in post #32
Also, for some reason I pictured you already having kids Chad.

I have a daughter on her early 20's from my first marriage when i was realllyyyy young. That is it for now.

What is this, therapy? lol

This is her, her BF and I
164054_475598981075_3423708_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom