TO's Olympic bid - please say NO | GTAMotorcycle.com

TO's Olympic bid - please say NO

MarcosSantiago

'I say no to a Toronto bid for Olympics in 2024'
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...no-to-a-toronto-bid-for-olympics-in-2024.html

This is what I think - Torontonians, along with the rest of Ontario, will be bankrolling this venture. Please say NO to this nonsense!!

We don't need the province spending $1 billion dollars (or more) just to build an Olympic village by the waterfront. What we need is another subway line. Or a new Gardiner. Or a new DVP. Or shelters for the homeless so no one dies next winter. Or so many other things that could be done with the money.

I agree that taxpayers don't need to be saddled with the costs of this, but to build the infrastructure you note or create the social programs, are the taxpayers still not saddled with the costs of those as well?

I'm turning to be all in favor of wasting as much money as possible. This way we can hit the bottom faster with a louder bang and more people will finally recognize the problem sooner. When Ontario finally collapses in economic ruin, everyone can step back and say "hey, we should stick to what we can afford." At least the survivors can. The victims of starvation and genocide and other civil strife along the way won't have to worry about the outcome.

I agree that taxpayers don't need to be saddled with the costs of this, but to build the infrastructure you note or create the social programs, are the taxpayers still not saddled with the costs of those as well?

We are paying taxes anyway, but it is a matter of choosing how we want tax dollars to be spent, in projects that benefits us. I do not want the IOC to come and tell us how to spend our money. "The members of the IOC and the FIFA Executive Committees do little to discourage extravagant spending. The memberships of these organizations have frequently been accused of outright corruption in the past, but corruption is only one part of the problem" See more at: http://journalistsresource.org/stud...ral-benefits-of-the-olympics-research-roundup

I'm turning to be all in favor of wasting as much money as possible. This way we can hit the bottom faster with a louder bang and more people will finally recognize the problem sooner. When Ontario finally collapses in economic ruin, everyone can step back and say "hey, we should stick to what we can afford." At least the survivors can. The victims of starvation and genocide and other civil strife along the way won't have to worry about the outcome.

I'll be able to hear the sound echo off the Rockies! (Hopefully)

The corruption involved to even put forth a bid is ludicrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote no. My understanding of the bidding process is that the Mayor of the bidding city has to guarantee covering cost overages. I would never sign something so insidious.

I lived in Vancouver through the 2010 Olympics (including the riots) and it was awesome. Being in construction, it kept me employed through the recession that hit in 2008 with no worries at all. Sure it's a **** show, but it's a fun **** show.

I lived in Vancouver through the 2010 Olympics (including the riots) and it was awesome. Being in construction, it kept me employed through the recession that hit in 2008 with no worries at all. Sure it's a **** show, but it's a fun **** show.

Good time to be a serial killer I assume.

After being involved in the Pan Am games....my vote goes to No for the Olympics (and pretty much everyone else at work says the same thing).

We are paying taxes anyway, but it is a matter of choosing how we want tax dollars to be spent, in projects that benefits us. I do not want the IOC to come and tell us how to spend our money. "The members of the IOC and the FIFA Executive Committees do little to discourage extravagant spending. The memberships of these organizations have frequently been accused of outright corruption in the past, but corruption is only one part of the problem" See more at: http://journalistsresource.org/stud...ral-benefits-of-the-olympics-research-roundup

The biggest problem IMO is that every politically connected spendthrift in the hemisphere jumps on the bandwagon and comes up with new ways of blowing the cash. It's like a feeding frenzy with our tax dollars.

Whether it's the Pan Am games, G-20 or Olympics there will be artificial lakes, bridges to nowhere, gazebos in the woods and countless other projects that don't appear on the original plans. Being a paltry few million each they don't get noticed.

Years later we are saddled with the upkeep of these hastily constructed white elephants.

Corruption comes at all levels. Shouldn't the third world countries be spending their money on education and health instead of sending a few chosen to a game. They are games. Not life and death.

Certain business interests are pushing for an Olympic bid. While the taxpayer gets stiffed, hotels etc. make a windfall. I'm completely against it. Toronto doesn't have the road system, the facilities or the money, and you just know they're going to screw it all up and run to the provincial government to pay the tab. No thanks, no way, don't let it happen.

I'd say no too but if you wanted to "vote" no, how would you do it? Aren't all these things decided without a public referendum?

I'd say no too but if you wanted to "vote" no, how would you do it? Aren't all these things decided without a public referendum?

Of course not. There will be significant $’s, probably in the millions spent beforehand to holdpublic information sessions and polling to tell you that the public is infavour of the bid.

Its always funny that the “decision makers“always point to the public support, but nobody else knows, is, or has ever metone of these supporters..

I'm torn. Being in construction, I'm sure that my wage will go up because it will be harder to find guys like me with experience to manage construction projects. Also, I could AirBnB my downtown house both upstairs and downstairs and make a fortune. I have a friend in Vancouver that rented his house to an elite athlete who's rich daddy paid for it for months leading up to the games and after.
But then there's the downside. A packed city, security worries, scumbags in general and the financial hangover. Hmmm. What to do...

Back
Top Bottom