First and last time I'll ever let someone else change my oil | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First and last time I'll ever let someone else change my oil

The filter in a BMW K75 is also located inside the oil pan, accessed through a cover plate. Tried a K&N filter ONCE and never again. Took me close to three hours to get it out, since you can't use the screwdriver trick, or channels locks. Had to get really creative?. Never had any problem using OEM filters.

The filter in a BMW K75 is also located inside the oil pan, accessed through a cover plate. Tried a K&N filter ONCE and never again. Took me close to three hours to get it out, since you can't use the screwdriver trick, or channels locks. Had to get really creative. Never had any problem using OEM filters.

You know you can buy an oil fliter socket from BMW that fits/works perferctly on OME filters, yes?

Used to clamp the filter in my Guzzi V11. The only problem was you had to remove the oil pan to get at it. There was at least 20 screws holding it on - what a PITA!

At least your V-11 had an oil filter. From what I gather, the older ones have no filters, just mesh/screens, and you need to drop the pan and change oil like every 2K or so. :)

At least your V-11 had an oil filter. From what I gather, the older ones have no filters, just mesh/screens, and you need to drop the pan and change oil like every 2K or so. :)

It did have a filter access hole like the K75's, but after reading stories about filters winding themselves loose, I decided to pull the pan and put on the screw clamp stopper. It wasn't the end of the world, but there's easier ways to change an oil filter.
I sold it - V-twin wasn't my thing. Best front brakes of any bike I've owned, though.

I recall my first bike (GS500) using those slide-in cartridge filters which sat behind a cover secured by 3 bolts. At the time, it seemed like a pain in the neck, thinking those spin-ons were a much better idea. Never had a problem with the cartridges and certainly never had to wrestle with them. The price of progress, I suppose.

I recall my first bike (GS500) using those slide-in cartridge filters which sat behind a cover secured by 3 bolts. At the time, it seemed like a pain in the neck, thinking those spin-ons were a much better idea. Never had a problem with the cartridges and certainly never had to wrestle with them. The price of progress, I suppose.
My old 750f just uses a paper filter. Super easy to change.

BMW airheads are universally accepted as the worst designed oil filter system.

I use the K&N filters with the nut at the end and I use a torque wrench to put them on at the correct spec. Reason I do that is that I've had too many stripped bolts and shenanigans associated with overtightening things to not take the extra few seconds it takes to set the torque wrench. I haven't had a single issue with the K&Ns though and this is the first I've heard of them being sub par???

Bought a strap wrench from Canadian tire $9..couldn't able to remove the filter its slipping and I don't have a room to use pliers either,..whoever the hell put this thing on needs a slap on his forehead..fuckin'!

It doesn't matter who you are,where you come from or which God you believe in...if you are motorcyclists, You are my Brother.

Lisle 63600 oil filter tool is better than any strap wrench. It's self energizing.

My old 750f just uses a paper filter. Super easy to change.

That's the term I was looking for (paper filter), pleated paper with stamped metal end caps. Spring and bolts/cover apply proper tension.

Go to youtube and search on
"Chris Harris BMW aftermarket oil filter"
Excellent video on how to remove a reluctant oil filter.

Last edited:

My KTM Superduke still uses this arrangement. No arguments here!

I had 2 Yammies with cartridge type filters: '89 V-max where I had to cut the top of the long oil filter tube bolt that goes through the filter and holds the housing on as it was so seized it would not budge, forcing me to buy a new oil filter tube bolt; '89 FJ1200 where the filter housing cut through the side stand safety switch wires which were run right up close to it and were easy to get underneath it, in fact I cracked the housing too trying to tighten it down to stop the leaking not realising the wiring had worked its way under it.:(

Spin ons are way more convenient IMO and I've never met one I couldn't get off. ;)

Put some oil on the seal then screw it on and you'll never have this problem. Managed a hurry lube many years ago. Remember taking an air chisel to a few. No oil on the seal, it bakes to the block.

Nice trick from BMW guy!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom