My tires are in withdrawal - need to go on a twisty trip. | GTAMotorcycle.com

My tires are in withdrawal - need to go on a twisty trip.

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I'm trying to decide where to go for my next road trip and want to avoid slab as much as possible. My last ride other than daily commuting was 3 months ago during the first week of May and that was only to the Muskoka area:(

I'd like to keep it anywhere between 3-7 days for this trip and am fine with camping or motels. I can ride 1000km/day comfortably or about 7-800km/day of very twisty roads and prefer to ride more than stop. I can go almost anytime until November.

Deals Gap area is so enticing, but I've been there a bunch and was thinking it's time for a change - even though I'm always happy to go back because I know the roads well. For shorter trips, I was thinking about West Virginia, or Adirondacks (no PA for me). For longer trips I am thinking about going up to Chicoutimi in Quebec, or south to Deals Gap, and even out to Cabot Trail, although I might need a few more days to have a nice trip with that.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Well certainly Quebec has been on my radar. Head up to North Bay ( I'd like to explore some of the HUntsville roads ) and then cut into Quebec ( some nice roads north( and up to Rouyn Noranda and zig zag down - into the Tremblant area....then see if they got the Vermont roads fixed up. You should be able to keep yourself occupied within the Appalachians.

Make yourself a "home base" in and around the Bancroft area and hit up what the area has to offer.

I promise, it will keep you happy for a few long days! I still manage to find great roads i have never been on, and been riding the area for many years :)

YMMV, just my experience - if you're really looking for twisties in good condition and Deal's Gap area is where you set the bar, for the most part you can just forget Canada. The scenery is beautiful and all that, but the roads suffer.

Personally, I'd aim for the Appalachians, just further north. Virginia and West Virginia.

I'm trying to decide where to go for my next road trip and want to avoid slab as much as possible. My last ride other than daily commuting was 3 months ago during the first week of May and that was only to the Muskoka area:(

I'd like to keep it anywhere between 3-7 days for this trip and am fine with camping or motels. I can ride 1000km/day comfortably or about 7-800km/day of very twisty roads and prefer to ride more than stop. I can go almost anytime until November.

Deals Gap area is so enticing, but I've been there a bunch and was thinking it's time for a change - even though I'm always happy to go back because I know the roads well. For shorter trips, I was thinking about West Virginia, or Adirondacks (no PA for me). For longer trips I am thinking about going up to Chicoutimi in Quebec, or south to Deals Gap, and even out to Cabot Trail, although I might need a few more days to have a nice trip with that.

The Saquenay/Lac Saint-Jean region is awesome!
Both for roads/scenery as well as craft beer!
:)

Curious though...why no PA option?

I had an Adirondack ride fall through earlier this summer and am looking at something in that direction around the Labour Day weekend.

Cheers,

Rob

Adirondacks- Heading there on the 12 of sept with a few peeps - also Vermount - NH - tiny bit of Maine.
8 days - I just need 1 more rider. You have my number - give me a call.

Ohio - Kentucky - especially boone forest - it is just crazy roads. was in June.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far...
I wouldn't stay in Bancroft or Ontario for that matter, because I have covered a lot of ground in Ontario and want to do something different. I decided against PA, because it was nice and better than Ontario for riding, but I'm looking for something more from this trip. I can also hit up PA's best on the way to and from WV or VA, and the Smokies in NC and TN, which is what I would do if I went further south. I found the few roads I was on in Vermont a little bumpy, but it was also nice and maybe worth exploring more. I did really like New Hampshire and Maine for scenic roads and am kind of looking for an excuse to ride out to Whitehorse Gear. Also really liked Ohio and Kentucky's rolling and twisty farm country.

I think I need higher elevations, which is why I was looking towards Quebec near the Saguenay, WV or NC...
How cold is Colorado in late September?

Shane! You never mention Missouri and Arkansas in your travel reports...Ozarks are spectacular !!! You won't be disappointed ! In Arkansas stay in Fayetteville/Mountain View/Mountain Home triangle. Make sure to visit Ozarks Cafe in Eureka Springs. In Missouri, area between Springfield/Cabool and Waynesville/Holts Summit/Marthasville/Farmington is just as good! Safe travels!

Thanks for the reminder - that is big time on my radar. Fond memories of traveling through there with my parents.

shane
How cold is Colorado in late September?

now that is leg stretching.....and what is wrong with this picture

and want to avoid slab as much as possible.

Fly the damn bike to Vancouver and have some serious fun.

Last edited:
Sorry no fly and ride just yet - west coast will have to wait a year or two. And yes Colorado is a bit too far for this year.

Koval: Ozarks look really good - thanks for the suggestion. I could easily see myself working that into a trip - recommend any roads in particular?

1700 KM by slab and a ton of construction

2279 via interesting roads down by way of Athens Ohio......so much for 5 days.....

Figure 3 days down at an enjoyable pace ...ride the area for 2 and then two longish days back.

Friday on the long weekend gonna be dead - leave early and wander til I'm done...back by Wednesday - that's not too bad and covers off a bit of Ohio. Damn tho the Ozark Mountains are nudging Oklahoma....

Looking at the terrain tho going via Chattanooga and ending at Fort Smith looks better. Quite a bit further tho.
https://goo.gl/maps/R0PQg

https://goo.gl/maps/ImZIa

Have you done the Cabot trail? Go through quebec on your way there and through maine/nh/vermont on your way back.

I have not done Cabot trail yet, and the plan is to do that along with Gaspe with the missus because she prefers the scenic rides over 2up twisty stuff. Last fall I did go through the Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine and overall liked them very much.

Koval: Ozarks look really good - thanks for the suggestion. I could easily see myself working that into a trip - recommend any roads in particular?
Every road southwest of Saint Louis all the way down to Fayetteville and beyond you will enjoy...
Some of my favorites:
-hwy 88(hwy 1 on Oklahoma side)Talimena Scenic Drive- (Mena to Talihina.) US 259 intersects hwy1, also a great ride south to 144. You can take Indian Hwy north from 144, and you will end up in Talihina.
-Hwy 7 (Ola to Hollis)
-Hwy 309 Mount Magazine (Havana to Paris)
-Hwy 9 (Melbourne to Mountain View), from Mountain View go west on 14 to your icing on the cake, Hwy 341 Push Mountain Road! If you need to skip some roads, that's not the one! You must ride it! Go north on 341 to 201.
-Spend one full day in Jasper area: Hwy 23 The Pig Trail, Hwy 16, Hwy 123, Hwy 21, Hwy 74, Hwy 103, Hwy 374
In Missouri:
-Hwy 185, Hwy 185 Spur, hwy T, hwy A
-hwy 32 (Salem to 21)
-hwy WW near Farmington
-hwy 19 (Steelville to Thayer), nice side trip hwy K ( between 19 and 17)
-you can ride US 66 west of Cuba, just to say you've done it...

AGREE. Silent Lake Provincial Park, just West of Bancroft, is a great spot an has YURT camp sites available that include a decent bed and propane BBQ to cut down on gear to carry.

Make yourself a "home base" in and around the Bancroft area and hit up what the area has to offer.

I promise, it will keep you happy for a few long days! I still manage to find great roads i have never been on, and been riding the area for many years :)

Last edited:

Its hard to argue with the Smokies/Deals Gap area - as you know, but I do understand the urge for something different! I have always wanted to do the Ozarks, but don't have first hand knowledge. I would second Nightshadow on Ohio/Kentucky - you can even throw in West Virginia :) The end of September is great weather there as well.

I'm not a big fan of the Adironacks, but that might just because I have been there so many times. If you can top it up to 9 - 10 days Colorado is definitely a possibility, but you have 2 extremely long days of mostly interstate - but then you get to ride to the top of the world - in September you might need your snow tires.

Damn... I haven't even unpacked my saddlebags yet and I'm thinking - yeah, get away - good idea :)

Back
Top Bottom