Rider's Most Embarrassing Moments | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider's Most Embarrassing Moments

Too funny...IS IT JUST ME OR DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE IT IS AWAYS THE SAME KEYBOARD TOUGH GUYS...
There is 2 more left to chime in...get it over with boys...you never have anything of value to add. How sad it must be...sitting alone in your boxers in the basement, waiting to chime in with your witt and creative pics and emoticons.
GOOD TIMES!!!
To the rest of GTAM...that actually have a life...CHEERS!
You know what else is funny? After I typed it I said to myself "I hope this doesn't come off as insincere ". I apologize for the misunderstanding. Meeting my wife wasn't as interesting. She was hitting on another guy. He was married. I wasn't.
I am in my boxers, though.
Also, I never thought I came off as a tough guy. Joker? yes. Fat? yes. Ice Cream lover? yes. Tough guy? Not so much.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

My most embarrassing bike moment had to be one time that I was in the dealership checking out a fz07 and when I tried to swing my stump of a leg over the bike , I barely made it past the bottom of the seat. The sales guy actually lifted my leg to help me. Then when I sat on it , my feet were dangling in the air.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Going through the US border check point at Buffalo I thought I had the side stand all the way down. I guess not because the bike laid down for a nap. My wife was behind me in the cage.

USBS let me through fairly quickly because they figured I was too dumb to be a terrorist.

I'm going to modify this thread and tell some stories about other people that may have been embarrassed at the time.

I was waiting in the showroom of Canada Cycle Sports (on Danforth) for my new bike to get PDId when I watched a young lad hop on an XL600 bike on display and give a kick to the kick starter. The bike started and lurched forward knocking over another bike. The young lad ran out of the store wih my sales rep chasing after.

Last edited:
It hurts to write this. Many years ago I rode into the local Timmies very late at night. Thankfully there was only a light smattering of bikes/people. I came in at tick over speed one hand on the handle bar just casually taking the lay of the land. All of a sudden I felt a big jolt. I knew immediately what had happened and pondered my next move as I tumbled to the ground. I had run over a concrete parking thingy and the only graceful way to smooth it over would be to act intoxicated. So that's what I did. I don't mind saying nobody was the wiser.

LOL FLSTC - good point - I guess we CAN comment on other riders mishaps...

A group of about 8 of us riding - just passed an intersection - wave to an oncoming bike (male with psngr) the guy waves, but doesn't realize the light ahead is red until we hear him screech to a halt to avoid rearending the stopped cars and almost lands himself into oncoming traffic - AWKWARD! I felt so bad, but in the end if you can't or shouldn't wave PLEASE don't...

Didn't happen to me personally, but I was riding with a buddy through the forks on a Saturday (it was packed with riders) and as we go to leave from the intersection in front of the ice cream shop he stalls out in front of at least 30 riders. Everyone was clapping and laughing, I bolted off pretending I didn't know him ;)

First day riding my new (to me. 11 years old) KLR 650. Went to gas up. Pulled a bit short of the pump so I moved the bike but forgot to reset the kickstand (it caught the ground when pushing forward (uphill slightly) so it wasnt straight out anymore.) started to tip... thankfully I caught it and it was 630 am so only the cashier saw.

LOL FLSTC - good point - I guess we CAN comment on other riders mishaps...

A group of about 8 of us riding - just passed an intersection - wave to an oncoming bike (male with psngr) the guy waves, but doesn't realize the light ahead is red until we hear him screech to a halt to avoid rearending the stopped cars and almost lands himself into oncoming traffic - AWKWARD! I felt so bad, but in the end if you can't or shouldn't wave PLEASE don't...

That's when you nod instead.

Ah - Cycle World West, on Dundas. Watched a guy try to change his fork oil in the parking lot in front of the store. He had just purchased a bottle of fork oil in the store. First thing he did was unscrew the drain screw at the bottom of the fork. Of course, as the bike was still sitting on the front wheel, ie the frame was not jacked up, the oil was under pressure and sprayed out horizontally from the drain hole and covered his pant leg.

Ah - Cycle World West, on Dundas. Watched a guy try to change his fork oil in the parking lot in front of the store. He had just purchased a bottle of fork oil in the store. First thing he did was unscrew the drain screw at the bottom of the fork. Of course, as the bike was still sitting on the front wheel, ie the frame was not jacked up, the oil was under pressure and sprayed out horizontally from the drain hole and covered his pant leg.

Did you keep watching? I'm trying to imagine what would've happened if he managed to get a fork cap off

Me and my buddy bought our first bikes at about 23, just a couple of old death traps that barely worked. My CB750 had a front brake that seized so I'd only use the rear. I know, real smart! Anyways, going down a gravel alley beside a park in Vancouver, my buddy in front acts cool and slides the rear out by locking up the back from time to time. Me, wanting to be cool too, do the same but grab the front as well, down I tumble sliding on the gravel.

Same bike, stopped in an alley to call someone and was on the phone with them when I lost balance and went over, happened another time in a parking lot I forgot the kickstand so it kept going over farther and farther until it was resting on the exhaust. I got off thinking "man that doesn't seem right" until I realized my mistake.

With my current bike I was backing up once and turning, got overzealous and too fast, hit the front brake to slow down but as the bars were turned I went down instead!

Thankfully those were all years ago, nothing recent to report for now!

After that, whenever I use a brake disc lock, I put it at the bottom next to the caliper, so the wheel won't move at all. If I ever forget, it won't be a situation if moving forward again and a sudden stop throwing you down.
I've got a fluorescent string thing that I wrap from the lock and hook it on my lever so I notice it's there before I take off! Even a shoe string would work.

Ran into a tree once on my brother's dirt bike.

I should have known better than to follow the "trail" that he point out to me.
It was a game trail, and not a bike one.

Last year Dave Hatch from motorcycle experience holds his first wings over the county,or something like that. Go look at the site page and notice a huge field of gold wings. Me ,bmw k 1600 gtl and my wife H-D softail go cause it's not too far. We decide to leave and going up the pretty steep driveway I get to the top ,plant left foot ,and slip on sand on top of pavement. I was down in an instant. Wait ,forgot to mention there's a demo ride lined up also. So now the guy that is watching traffic to make sure everyone gets out safely helps me get my bike up. Dave Hatch comes over to see if i'm okay and tells me to take a deep breath, and my wife is wishing she could just melt into the pavement. At this point i'm just spittin' mad and want to get out of there. Once I calmed down the shame kicked in and I still get that crap feeling every time I think about it,thought I'd have to sell the bike at one point. Go ahead ,I deserve the mocking.

Was quite a few years ago trying to impress my Hungarian female friend. She had just started to ride. She parked her bike and I was trying to be flash and go round the back of her bike. Turn was way too tight. Dropped the bike.
What a cutie she was.

Was quite a few years ago trying to impress my Hungarian female friend. She had just started to ride. She parked her bike and I was trying to be flash and go round the back of her bike. Turn was way too tight. Dropped the bike.
What a cutie she was.
Nope...target fixation...you were checkin HER saddle on the "turn to tight". IT HAPPENS...you WERE looking where you wanted to go ;)

Last edited:
A few years ago, the 1st time riding my current bike. My dad had ridden it home for me and had parked it near the top of our driveway in front of our Windstar. I was obviously excited, new bike and all, and wanted to jump up and go. So I did. Went slowly up onto the hill on the lawn, ran out of leg length and dropped it into the bumper.

...Go ahead, I deserve the mocking.

Riding a motorcycle is very similar to juggling balls. Sooner or later. Mother Gravity will win. It is not if, but when. Don't sweat it.

A couple of years ago I attended a Harley Davidson test ride at a local dealership, in order to try a Harley in general and specifically to test ride the Sportster. Buell had some really nice but tall and heavy bikes. Beside me was this hulking muscular refrigerator of a man, over 7', 300 lb. He straddled the tall Buell like he owned it. After a couple of minutes I noticed his eyes getting wider, his face getting redder, and the Buell starting to lean precipitously to the clutch side. I thought to myself that this huge guy would not let this nice shiny bike lay down and sleep, at a demo ride, in front of about 50 riders? Should I take a run and body check this guy from the left side, thereby restoring equilibrium? Before I could answer, the bike was down on the ground, the shiny Buell leaving some oil to mark its territory. They took the Buell out of service for the test ride. There was a most dejected look on this rider's face.

Cycle World West was the scene of my favourite moment. Come wheeling into the lot on my very loud '69 BSA and find a parking space right at the front door. Casually kick out the side stand and lean the bike over to dismount. The only problem was the side stand on that bike was about a foot and a half long and needed to be fully extended in order to lock. It wasn't and the bike continued to go down onto its side. Damn near hurt myself trying to lift it back up before too many people noticed.

Back
Top Bottom