Rider's Most Embarrassing Moments | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider's Most Embarrassing Moments

Mala

OK - so it can happen to the most experienced riders and usually when someone is watching...

Dropped bike/helmet
Stalling
Wardrobe malfunctions
Running out of gas
Chasing dogs
Awkward 'Wave' moments
The list goes on...

Thought this would be a fun thread for us to share some of our mishaps!

To those that have never had one, this will give you some pointers on what to do when it does happen ;)

I'll kick it off with these 2:

1. I stalled trying to excelerate as a red light turned green...one of my first few rides...with a line up of cars behind me. I think I went 50 shades of red and was sweating like I have never sweated before...Thankfully I didn't get bumped from behind, but damn its hard to look cool riding away from that!

2. My first bike wash on my driveway - I was so excited and she was so shiny and clean :) went to move her from my driveway to the street so I could wash my truck...as I parked I looked down because there was water still dripping...and slowly...very slowly the right lean kicked in :( I tried so hard to not let her touch the ground, but it was inevitable. Of course my neighbour was out and came running over to help with the lift back up. Im sure he was shaking is head thinking "what is this girl thinking getting a motorcycle" - so embarrassing, but thankfully no damage...just a few scratches on the exhaust.

Standing talking to this cute chick at 2 in the morning...sitting on bike beside her driver window. Chatting her up a bit...see a fllash behind me so I turned to look over my right shoulder. Top heavy TL1000s falls over in to the oncoming lane. LMFAO...the bike is long gone BUT we have been together 17 years ;)

Many'a moon ago on my '84 NightHawk 650, a buddy and I had a standing start race... 20-30 peeps in the Peanut Gallery. We both launched and my fingers were still over the brake lever... Uh-Oh! Down I went... Embarrassing is not the word!

Standing talking to this cute chick at 2 in the morning...sitting on bike beside her driver window. Chatting her up a bit...see a fllash behind me so I turned to look over my right shoulder. Top heavy TL1000s falls over in to the oncoming lane. LMFAO...the bike is long gone BUT we have been together 17 years ;)

17 years ago

TL1000S

D5XWymP.jpg

welp, i guess ill put myself out there

sometime last summer i was in burlington. i just closed my first deal for my old firm... stuck in traffic in neutral and my left foot was on the peg shaking (like a lot of men do, i guess i was antsy?). my toe accidently hit the gear shifter and it shifts down to first and she stalls. didnt drop but you see my body jerk forward with the bike. guy beside me in his convertible started laughing REALLY loud. so embarrased.

this year otw to cabot trail at some provincial park along the ottawa river... i tried making a U turn on a hill (up to U turn going down). being short, left leg couldnt touch the ground and down she went. broke my left clutch lever and that set us back a couple hours the next day (had to back track to a kawi dealer in north bay). they still have yet to let go of this incident.

2-upping with my buddy (yes 2 guys.. but we were fresh outta highschool and didnt want to walk home)

driving along the 401 on my first bike.. on my way to frekeyguy my fairings blow off on the highway... was able to recover them thanks to my buddy who was trailing behind in his van... but so embarrassing.

I stalled trying to excelerate as a red light turned green...one of my first few rides...with a line up of cars behind me. I think I went 50 shades of red and was sweating like I have never sweated before...Thankfully I didn't get bumped from behind, but damn its hard to look cool riding away from that!

Occasionally, while the Duc is still relatively cold at the beginning of a ride I stall it at a traffic light... I don't feel embarrassed, however I am saying... 'Please don't hit me, please don't hit me...'

That's an awesome story - sad for the bike, but sweet ending :)

Nothing too bad, but i crashed on my bike looking for an address up in Barry's Bay. Around those parts, they don't have house numbers, but just names. So you'll see a pole with 10 names with pointers to the direction of the cabin. As I was looking on the sign, I veered onto the rock shoulder, lost control, dropped it, and did about $500 damage to the bike (broken mirror, clutch lever and clutch pedal). I had to tow the bike from Barrie's Bay to downtown Toronto. Thank god for CAA plus. It only cost me $200 at the time for a 4+ hour tow.

Bonus story: the tow driver driver spoke to me a total of 20 words or so for the entire 4 hour drive. Thankfully, I had a book.

Originally Posted by Sadz View Post
Standing talking to this cute chick at 2 in the morning...sitting on bike beside her driver window. Chatting her up a bit...see a fllash behind me so I turned to look over my right shoulder. Top heavy TL1000s falls over in to the oncoming lane. LMFAO...the bike is long gone BUT we have been together 17 years
Excellent story

•••

Parked the KLR650 in the gravel driveway at home in Australia.
Put the kickstand down, rocked it a bit, went to get off and instead went over.
Riding pants caught the kickstand, were caught in the spring, leg and boot under the bike....

hmmmm- this is seriously embarrassing, no one at home, no cell phone and about 6 hours til GF gets home from work.
Drive way is behind a fence with a swinging gate. Tried the boot/pant again....not moving.

Now likely some jogger etc would have been along the sidewalk,,,what do you say lying prone partially under a motorcycle....umm Help! and hope he/she looks down. Being 60 years old sorta makes it worse....I could see the thought train......aren't you getting to old for that...

Light bulb goes off....convertible riding pants!!!!!!....:D
Unzipped the trapped pant leg. Wiggled foot out of boot and pant leg. ( lucky it was soft gravel ) and got the bike back up by my lonesome.
What a stupid feeling lying there wondering WTF just happened.

Been VERY careful with side stands since.

Dropped my bike in the USA because I was tired, hot and lost balance on a u-turn. The bike was too heavy to lift because it was facing uphill and had full camping gear. I had to wait for some random to drive by and help me lift it.

I've had my helmet blow off the bike once or twice. Gloves blow away all the time. Just recently parked bike and forgot to put down the kickstand.

Worst was blowing my engine.

And???? Something to add TK...

I can't believe a TL1000S is old enough to feature in a story 17 years ago. But it is, because it's old, and so am I/you/us

Nothing too bad, but i crashed on my bike looking for an address up in Barry's Bay. Around those parts, they don't have house numbers, but just names. So you'll see a pole with 10 names with pointers to the direction of the cabin. As I was looking on the sign, I veered onto the rock shoulder, lost control, dropped it, and did about $500 damage to the bike (broken mirror, clutch lever and clutch pedal). I had to tow the bike from Barrie's Bay to downtown Toronto. Thank god for CAA plus. It only cost me $200 at the time for a 4+ hour tow.

Bonus story: the tow driver driver spoke to me a total of 20 words or so for the entire 4 hour drive. Thankfully, I had a book.

My biggest fear is being so far away from home and something happens to the bike...So last Sunday we took a ride out to a lake about an hour away...time to leave, bike wouldn't start...My BF is a very experience rider and we were both like "OMG!" 10 minutes later...Well, Hello - maybe check if it's in gear (duh) All was good as soon as I popped her in neutral ;) We had the best laugh!

Leaving Port Dover on Fri 13th. Get distracted while gearing up and forget to remove the disc lock on the front disc. Friends nodded to me to start going first - went forward about a foot then toppled over, breaking a turn signal lense and the end of my brake lever. Friends helped me back up and it took me a few moments to figure out what was stopping the bike from moving forward.

After that, whenever I use a brake disc lock, I put it at the bottom next to the caliper, so the wheel won't move at all. If I ever forget, it won't be a situation if moving forward again and a sudden stop throwing you down.

That's beautiful *wipes tear*

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

That's beautiful *wipes tear*

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk
Too funny...IS IT JUST ME OR DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE IT IS AWAYS THE SAME KEYBOARD TOUGH GUYS...
There is 2 more left to chime in...get it over with boys...you never have anything of value to add. How sad it must be...sitting alone in your boxers in the basement, waiting to chime in with your wit and creative pics and emoticons.
GOOD TIMES!!!
To the rest of GTAM...that actually have a life...CHEERS!

Last edited:
This just goes to show most posts could be read multiple ways. I bet Joe does not wear boxers.

Story #2:

Once left my GPS plugged into my bike. For whatever reason, I thought if my GPS was fully charged it, it wouldn't pull current from the battery. Boy was I wrong. The battery was DEAD and the bike was DEAD, except for this ticking noise.

Anyway, I replaced the battery and all was well, and wouldn't you know it, I forgot to unplug my GPS again... battery dead again. Replace battery.

And then I did it AGAIN!, but this time I only left it on overnight, and the bike was ok the next day... what a week that was.

Back
Top Bottom