Boots and the The New Rider | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boots and the The New Rider

As a new rider I am wondering what is the best type of boot to start with?

I am concerned about ankle flexion, breathability, leather vs synthetic and resistance to water. Woman specific goes without saying but beyond that....

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

;)

Dont skimp on boots. I started with basic ones initially and upgraded to Puma GTX ones. They saved me from major injury recently when I came off at 100km/hr and the bike's foot peg landed and pierced a hole in the side of the boot!!! My next pair of boots will be probably even more protected. I lot happens when you slide down the road.

see below..
20150716_164157.jpg

Find the ones you can afford then convince yourself to spend another $50 - $100 to get better ones,dont skimp on boots and stay away from laces.

"Pair of $30 walmart leather boots if I'm walking a lot...."--

Do they still make such a thing?? Even a basic leather boot that could function as a motorcycle boot has been at least $120.00 around town (Toronto).

I want to feel the shifter more than anything as this is among the hardest of the 'new feels' that I must learn if I am ever to ride well.

I'll keep on the lookout for similar deals.

Thanks for the comment-- was worried about becoming a little too 'bling' before my time. There was a time when I wouldn't futz so much about what it was I needed-- I'd just go to Honest Ed's and start from there. (I am going to miss the place, even though it's been decades since I was last there..)

I bought them this year, but up near Ottawa, so the price should be similar in most Walmarts.
They seem to wear fast, but I'm riding about 15 minutes, then doing about 10,000 steps in them, 5-10 minute ride, another 10,000 steps, then 15 minutes to home.

I'll be putting gel heels in them for this year, and looking for something a little better for the next.
The shifter feel isn't as good as a dedicated motorcycle boot, so you'd have to take that into consideration.
Oh, and they have laces, which is another minus.

I kind of wish now that I'd kept that old worn out pair of Alpinestars that I got from McBrides a long time ago,
they were full leather with no plastic, so they didn't wear out my shins on long walks with all that stiff plastic.

I have a pair of TCX X-street waterproof boots that id gotten off a crazy 50% sale...
http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti...p?prodotto=151

If i had to do it again id go for those
http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti...=1&prodotto=90

I mainly commute to work with them but i like the "blend in" look while still having protection.

Which is why next big buy in my gear will be resurgence jeans.

The matrix kevlar jacket, those jeans, those boots = don't even look like im wearing full gear

got same boots a month ago - great purchase. haven't tried them in rain though. And NEXO kevlar jeans.

Last edited:
I got the Exustar Alpen Waterproof boots at Town Moto. They were $129+tax when I got them ~2 years ago, I guess the exchange rate has made the price go up. At the time they were the cheapest waterproof boot I could find.

Unfortunately one of my boots had a manufacturing defect and the sole fell apart in less than 1 year. Town Moto was great however and got me a brand new pair last fall. Have not had any issues with the replacements.

I think Royal Distributing carries Exustar as well.

I've been quite happy with my "Streetz" boots purchased from Daytona at the beginning of the season. Have not been out on the rain, though. They are similar to the Tourmaster touring style, but they are shorter. Do not bother my shins when doing short stops like the grocery store etc.
Was originally intending for these to be an entry level boot to see how I like them, but I am considering buying another pair when these are done.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Dont skimp on boots. I started with basic ones initially and upgraded to Puma GTX ones. They saved me from major injury recently when I came off at 100km/hr and the bike's foot peg landed and pierced a hole in the side of the boot!!! My next pair of boots will be probably even more protected. I lot happens when you slide down the road.

see below..
20150716_164157.jpg

+1 on the Puma GTX boots. Super comfy (after broken in) and waterproof to boot. as they are Goretex, they also breathe.
Wore them all weekend on a 1800km jaunt through the Adirondacks and they worked perfectly.
Reasonably priced too.
And because they are made by Puma, they are comfortable when off the bike too.

Just my $.02

Cheers,

Rob

I have the Alpinestars SMX-6.
Very comfortable and warm but they are definetly not waterproof as advertised.
I've emailed the company and no reponce so there customer service is as absent as there waterproof claims on there boots.
$300 wasted.
My Formas have been worn and abused for 5 years and are still waterproof. They are however falling apart and after 100k worth of riding they should be.

Ankle protection and in particular surface grip plus easy on an off ( if they are not they don't get used as much - you may be diligent as a new rider but that can fade ).

Really depends on your use tho. I still wear my hiking boots for local rides and the big Gaernes for distance or off pavement. They are waterproof as well demonstrated for a chilly wet ride from PA today but are not insulated.

balance_oiled_brown-500x500.jpg

These are waterproof and very protective plus with pants over them look like normal boots and very comfortable for walking.

If you are height challenged...boots can add a welcome 1/2" or so but be careful you can still shift easily.

I got a pair of these cheap ...Milwaukee Trooper boots.

MB416_Black-Boots-1.jpg

I like the double zips plus the laces...so you can really strengthen your ankle, very good lugs on them and easy on off once the zips loosen up.

My take is if you've got decent hiking boots use them til you know this is the sport for you and you determine if you are doing distance etc. Then make the move once you know more.
Focus on your skills and just ride every chance you get.....

Last edited:
I bought Alpinestar SMX-5 as my first boots, still have 'em and wear them all the time. For me they were comfortable right away with no break in or anything. A great all around boot.

I have same. Great boot great protection great comfort + covers most of your shin too. With me knee armour and armoured shorts my whole let is covered.

Back
Top Bottom