Anybody have experience buying NON resistor plug caps? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody have experience buying NON resistor plug caps?

Beekman

Title says it all, I need some non resistor plug caps for my 1980 Yamaha maxim. Stock setup is resistor caps with non resistor plugs (BP7ES). Can't get those plugs in Canada, only BPR7ES so I need some non resistor caps to keep my resistance in my ignition lines correct.

I'm finding it difficult to find non resistor caps as well.

One of my current caps is "leaking" electricity (insulating boot no longer insulates, shocks me when I hold it and test for spark)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I've had good luck buying cheap plugs on Amazon (both .ca and .com)

But my non-resistor plugs are very common (D8EA, widely available at CT).

Ask Glen At Flying Squirrel motorcycle, he might even have those plugs in stock.

... or any bike/car shop can order NGK caps without resistors.
I usually just remove the resistor, a simple task.

... or any bike/car shop can order NGK caps without resistors.
I usually just remove the resistor, a simple task.
Can you enlighten me on this process? Seems like the easiest solution for me as all the places I've tried insist that non resistor caps don't exist. And I already have a bunch of resistor plugs so I don't want to have to order a bunch more online if I don't need to

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Your plug cap will look something like the top picture here http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/documents/Resistor Covers Decoding English.pdf
Remove/split the cap and remove the resistor element (#3) and replace it with a piece of wire (solder it in place).
Put it back together and you have a non resistor plug cap.

Alot of the OEM caps are formed in place and you'll ruin them trying to take them apart. Any speed shop will have separate covers and connectors.

If you want a NGK replacement cap use #8328 or 8381
There are LOTS of equivalent plugs to a NGK BP7ES
http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/NGK_PN/BP7ES
There's nothing wrong with Champion or Denso plugs... hell even Lodge has 3 equivalent plugs.
Any auto parts store, Canadian Tire is NOT an auto parts store, should be able to get most of those plugs listed in the interchange.

Back
Top Bottom