3 nights - where to go? | GTAMotorcycle.com

3 nights - where to go?

macro

Hey gents, I'm trying to plan a solo trip for the end of September. Thinking of leaving Friday afternoon and coming back Monday. I don't mind staying in different places each night if it's worth it, or spend the whole time in one area so I don't have to pack it up every day. What do you think?

I think West Virginia would be good.
Day 1 - Slab to Wheeling, WV and then ride around that area heading south east.
Day 2 - 3 - Stay around Elkins and ride that area, lots of good stuff here.
Day 4 - Super slab home in 8 hours or take 219 for a marathon ride. Will probably take closer to 12 including breaks but some parts are pretty nice.

Yeah that sounds pretty good. I went to lake placid and crossed over to Vermont and smugglers notch before slabbing back. That was tough. After about 6 hours of highway my knees lock up. Do you think I could stay in one place or nicer to get a few different places? Maybe the same town the first and last night.

Bourbon festival in Kentucky.
Go online. Start in Bardstown KY and move out from there.
Maybe if I had a Goldwing, that's a bit of a long haul on the SV though. Actually, maybe that's a good excuse to buy a $1500 80's 'wing!

I just did 3 days based outside of Scranton. It was awesome. Close by, and LOTS of bikes. The views even when slabbing are really nice. I wish our highways were as scenic.

Yeah that sounds pretty good. I went to lake placid and crossed over to Vermont and smugglers notch before slabbing back. That was tough. After about 6 hours of highway my knees lock up. Do you think I could stay in one place or nicer to get a few different places? Maybe the same town the first and last night.

Hey Macro

I'm facing the same dilemma with regards to a Labour Day ride.
Debating between PA & Adirondacks with an eye on minimizing the slab content.

I've done multi-day trips when we rode from place-to-place and stayed in different locations each night (Gaspe, Lac St Jean etc.).
Obviously, you can cover more geographical distance this way.

We did a trip to PA a few years back when we used Williamsport as a home base for a couple of nights and rode the surrounding area.
The nice thing with this is that it allows you to take a more relaxed approach to the riding. So, for instance if you wake up in the morning and it's raining...so be it.
You take your time, have a nice warm shower, pop down and have some breaky, walk into town and have some good coffee etc.
With a point-to-point ride/tour you don't necessarily have that "luxury". In our case we got lucky and the weather cleared by noon and were we able to get out for a nice ride.
It also helped that we were able to hook up with a local rider who took us around some of the lesser known roads.

Cheers,

Rob

You have enough time to base out of State College and ride many areas.
I stayed in State College couple of weeks ago and the area is fantastic, this will be my recommendation as well. Leaving Firday afternoon you can make it to Courdersport and stay at Paul's Motel (Gas, corner store and a Macdonalds open 24 hours), then Saturday pick up and do all the roads around the area and make it to State College and then SUnday ride the Southern Part of PA going back to State College and then riding back the next day.

I stayed at the Super 8, good rooms with Wifi and it has a 24 hour Ihop you can walk to.

Near State College, make sure you go to Whipple Dam Beach
3746 Laurel Run Rd, Petersburg, PA 16669, United States

Whipple-Dam-Beach.jpg

The way there
11738029_10152804962521191_393449909855627345_n.jpg

Around the area
11750663_10152804724801191_8124656393108974938_n.jpg

Last edited:
I stayed in State College couple of weeks ago and the area is fantastic, this will be my recommendation as well. Leaving Firday afternoon you can make it to Courdersport and stay at Paul's Motel, then Saturday pick up and do all the roads around the area and make it to State College and then SUnday ride the Southern Part of PA going back to State College and then riding back the next day.

+1 on State College

Awesome, thanks for all the input guys! Once September rolls around I'll start planning the route more and asking more questions :p

I stayed in State College couple of weeks ago and the area is fantastic, this will be my recommendation as well. Leaving Firday afternoon you can make it to Courdersport and stay at Paul's Motel (Gas, corner store and a Macdonalds open 24 hours), then Saturday pick up and do all the roads around the area and make it to State College and then SUnday ride the Southern Part of PA going back to State College and then riding back the next day.

I stayed at the Super 8, good rooms with Wifi and it has a 24 hour Ihop you can walk to.

Near State College, make sure you go to Whipple Dam Beach
3746 Laurel Run Rd, Petersburg, PA 16669, United States

Whipple-Dam-Beach.jpg

<snip>

Man...is it just me or is that beach lacking in "talent"?
;-)

lol Talent may vary depending of the time of day or night :)

Like when I was in Europe, I learn really quick never to go to the beach before 1pm.
Man...is it just me or is that beach lacking in "talent"?
;-)

All good suggestions, but there is just one small wrinkle that has been overlooked. Check the Penn State football schedule, if there is a home game in State College that weekend you will be unable to get any room for a 80 mile radius around the town. The stadium holds almost 107,000 people and most of them come from out of town. No game no problem, game big problems. Apply this info to any american town that has a university football team, even small D2 and D3 schools.

lol Talent may vary depending of the time of day or night :)

Like when I was in Europe, I learn really quick never to go to the beach before 1pm.

Lol
Fair enough.

Maybe there'll be more talent there during homecoming!
But no hotel rooms as pointed out above. :)

Back
Top Bottom