Curious shifting issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Curious shifting issue

Chaos

Bike: 09 Monster 696 with 63K or so.

When riding around, shifting gears is normal. When stopped though, and I am in 1st, it becomes VERY difficult to shift into neutral. It does not want to get out of first. If I manage to get it out of first, it goes into the second because of the amount of force i need to apply to get it out of first. After a few tries, I am able to get it into neutral.

This only happens when the engine is on. When the engine is off, it is no problem whatsoever. it is smooth as silk.

Should also mention: when I ride the bike for a long time (say over an hour), the problem eases up but does not go away completely. It's easier to get into neutral, but there is still some resistance.

My bike was not always like this. I've noticed it happening more and more over the last little while so now I am curious as to what the problem could be.

Thoughts?

Your clutch is dragging.
Check cable adjustment
Are you using the right oil?
Check the metal plates are flat and have no hot spots
Check the clutch basket for ridges on the fingers.

Sounds like too much clutch free play. I set up every bike I own to do the exact same thing you describe ;)

That monster has a hydraulic clutch, so bleed the salve cylinder out and make sure the clutch is setup properly. Had a 1198R that the never would go into neutral, after bleeding the slave cylinder out and adjusting the lever, it was like butter.

If you need help or pointers - i'm more than happy to lend a hand.

That monster has a hydraulic clutch, so bleed the salve cylinder out and make sure the clutch is setup properly. Had a 1198R that the never would go into neutral, after bleeding the slave cylinder out and adjusting the lever, it was like butter.

If you need help or pointers - i'm more than happy to lend a hand.

yup, it's a hydraulic clutch. any idea why that would be the problem though? It's a closed system, is it not? If it needed to be bled, wouldn't that suggest there's a compromise (micro leak?) in there somewhere?

yup, it's a hydraulic clutch. any idea why that would be the problem though? It's a closed system, is it not? If it needed to be bled, wouldn't that suggest there's a compromise (micro leak?) in there somewhere?

2009 - 2015 = 6 yrs of the fluid pushing that rod which releases the clutch pack up. There is a seal on the other side of that rod which will collect dust and crap, which will go into your fluid. Plus that clutch release rod gets extremely hot, and brake fluid/hydraulic fluid is hydroscopic. Plus the factory slave isn't that great. Most of the 1198's and 1098's that i've played with got swapped to a STM slave, made it way better!

How does the fluid in the reservoir look ? I've been finding if the fluid in the reservoir is mint, the fluid by the slave is super black.

I've had better luck running DOT 5 or Motul RBF race fluid in the clutch master cylinders of those duc's.

Back
Top Bottom