Front end feeling vague/almost wash out | GTAMotorcycle.com

Front end feeling vague/almost wash out

macro

A few times I've noticed this with the bike. I get a quick feeling like the front end is going to let go, it's a quick twitch in the bars.

It's only happened when I'm not going particularly fast but I'm leaned over quite a bit. Going around a roundabout for instance. My front tire is new last season, lots of tread. Psi is 31, tires were warm, wasn't leaned over far enough to scrub off the chicken strips on the tires either.

I'm guessing it's something simple, probably me, but any input would be great. Adjust tire pressure maybe?

A quick twitch on the bars is your front wheel going around something like a bump in the road.

Some guys run 30/30 some run 39/42 and all numbers in between. Maybe I'll bump it up to 35 or so and see...

I'm not saying 31 psi is or isn't the optimal tire pressure for your bike/tire combo (which you haven't identified), but there is no way in a million years that is the root of that problem. It's close enough.

Are you always riding on the same stretch of road when this happens?

Nope, yesterday it was in a big roundabout. It's when I'm going slowish but with a high degree of lean, it'll feel like the front end is about to lose grip. Quite disconcerting. I'm sure it's something simple but I can't for the life of me figure out what. I'll start with tire pressure and see if that helps.

1. What kind of bike is it ?
2. What kind of tire is it?
3. Do you setup your sag on the bike? (BrianP is good person to help with this)
4. How many kms on the bike?
5. How is the head bearing ?
6. How is the tire wear?

diesel spill?
Even wetness from car AC dripping on the road, quite possible at slow spots like a roundabout, will cause a sudden loss in traction as you ride over that spot.

diesel spill?
Even wetness from car AC dripping on the road, quite possible at slow spots like a roundabout, will cause a sudden loss in traction as you ride over that spot.
Yeah that could be it I suppose, everything looked clean and free of dirt/sand/spills but I guess you never know.

1. What kind of bike is it ? '04 SV650
2. What kind of tire is it? Dunlop SportMaxx
3. Do you setup your sag on the bike? (BrianP is good person to help with this Nope, I've never fiddled with the suspension, figured I would cause more harm than good
4. How many kms on the bike? 43,000
5. How is the head bearing ? Unknown, how do I check?
6. How is the tire wear?Looks good, no cupping or uneven wear, tire is still relatively new.

Thanks for the help guys!!

5. How is the head bearing ? Unknown, how do I check?

Ideally you would elevate the front wheel off the ground somehow. Barring that you would have your bike on a smooth, flat surface. You turn the bars side to side slowly and make sure it feels smooth, turns without clicking, there's no front/back or side-to-side play. I guess what you're describing could potentially be a symptom of a loose steering head bearing

Went for a ride today, without lifting the front off the ground I did as you said, everything seems fine. Nice and smooth. Was on the bike all day with no issues but I wasn't in the conditions that it's happened before.

Back
Top Bottom