First time at the Forks today | GTAMotorcycle.com

First time at the Forks today

macro

Today was the first time I've made it west far enough to ride the Forks, usually from my place I go east but I needed to go to Orangeville so figured I'd use it as an excuse to ride! I can see the appeal of the road but it must get insanely busy! Even a weekday afternoon I managed to get stuck behind some cars. Went through Hockley valley afterwards as well, nice and empty.

Yeah, its a decent enough road but don't expect to be able to rip through it. Quite busy + cops often present. I ride through it sometimes in the AM on my way to work and it seems to be the best window for a quiet ride through. Much better roads basically all around it, just gotta find em ?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The Grange to the east and one road south of the Forks of the Credit off HWY 10 is more fun IMNSHO and there are some nice roads heading north off of it to HWY 9.

But really it's not for riding..it's for meet ups and chit chat. 4 hours south to Coudersport and you forget right quick how limp wristed S Ontario roads are.
I've had a little fun on the Forks heading east bound off season with no speed bumps....that section after you cross the bridge is fun.

Agreed MacDoc.
County and secondary roads in Southern Ontario do seem to be straight and level to the point of being boring.
No doubt this is the reason the few that are not get so much use by the motorcycle community.

TBH, I don't see what all the fuss is about the FOTCR. It's nothing special... Although, I do like the hairpin...

I went once with a small group. One of the guys was constantly on the wrong side of the road.
He eventually passed a car and the opposing vehicle moved to the shoulder or would have killed him.
I tend to avoid the area like the plague now, and can see why there's an increased Police presence -
they're wanting to be on site to administer first aid when one of these people gets taken out.

I went once with a small group. One of the guys was constantly on the wrong side of the road.
He eventually passed a car and the opposing vehicle moved to the shoulder or would have killed him.
I tend to avoid the area like the plague now, and can see why there's an increased Police presence -
they're wanting to be on site to administer first aid when one of these people gets taken out.

The last motorcycle fatality on Forks of the Credit Road involved a person who had already crashed elsewhere that same day. You have to wonder.

TBH, I don't see what all the fuss is about the FOTCR.

It's not about the road.

It's this

and this

There are experienced riders with encyclopedias of good information to sit and chat with and some very cool bikes that show up.

There's 150 years of riding experience in that group alone

Marty's on his way to Alaska again ( sheepskin Airheadcirca 1978 )...two others on their way to BC - guy on right started riding in England at 14 and took my Burgman for a spin ( came back with a big grin ) at 80....was my role model for keep on keeping on but died last year :(

If you don't like crowds and traffic stay away on the weekends.

Last edited:
Yeah, its a decent enough road but don't expect to be able to rip through it. Quite busy + cops often present. I ride through it sometimes in the AM on my way to work and it seems to be the best window for a quiet ride through. Much better roads basically all around it, just gotta find em ?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
You gotta pick your spots to rip on it. Usually the cops set up after cedar drive right before the fishing location. they rarely ever switch it up.

Usually you can rip it right before the residential area/ice-cream shop

Maybe I'll try and come by this weekend to chat, that's Sunday mornings right?

I DID see a few people fly fishing, that's another thing I've always wanted to try.

It's not about the road.

It's this

and this

There are experienced riders with encyclopedias of good information to sit and chat with and some very cool bikes that show up.

There's 150 years of riding experience in that group alone

Marty's on his way to Alaska again ( sheepskin Airheadcirca 1978 )...two others on their way to BC - guy on right started riding in England at 14 and took my Burgman for a spin ( came back with a big grin ) at 80....was my role model for keep on keeping on but died last year :(

If you don't like crowds and traffic stay away on the weekends.

Oh o.k., I used to get that from the CVMG, along with some awesome routes,
and an earlier peek at some great older bikes.

Forks coffee shop staff: Is it just my imagination or was the previous staff a lot friendlier? As in hospitality industry friendly. In contrast, the Icehouse staff is very friendly.

TBH, I don't see what all the fuss is about the FOTCR. It's nothing special... Although, I do like the hairpin...

I always used to hear about this place and I imagined it to be 2 hrs north of Toronto in the boonies and have at least 40 km of twisty roads... I then decided to visit it and asked around and found out it was north on Mississauga rd not too far. I had a big disappointment when all the fuss about the Forks was just a mile-long twisty road full of cops waiting in ambush, oh my gosh I can find such a twisty and short road like that anywhere in a subdivision of Toronto.

But as someone above me said, its not about the road, its about the old timers that congregate there to chat and you get to see many bikes of all models imaginable.

Last edited:
oh my gosh I can find such a twisty and short road like that anywhere in a subdivision of Toronto.

Could you provide a list of such suitably twisty and short roads in those Toronto subdivisions, not counting the bicycle paths of course.

I always used to hear about this place and I imagined it to be 2 hrs north of Toronto in the boonies and have at least 40 km of twisty roads... I then decided to visit it and asked around and found out it was north on Mississauga rd not too far. I had a big disappointment when all the fuss about the Forks was just a mile-long twisty road full of cops waiting in ambush, oh my gosh I can find such a twisty and short road like that anywhere in a subdivision of Toronto.

But as someone above me said, its not about the road, its about the old timers that congregate there to chat and you get to see many bikes of all models imaginable.

This is why I've never been. Given the shortness and the police enforcement, why not just head north an hour or two and find some longer, fun, and empty roads where cops are likely not to be?

Axle sticks.

I found so many nice roads just north of Kingston I can ride on for a while before even seeing another car or even a house. let's just say my 2nd gear tops out at 175km/hr ish..

Yeah - just got a guided tour thanks to JC100 a week or so back. Some very nice roads. Bit far for a day trip but found a great AirBnB $50 with breakfast ( serious breakfast too ) in Peterborough that was a good jump off. Left the GTA at 7.30 PM and had a leisurely ride up the back way to Peterborough...then just an hour to Kaladar and meetup.

Came home rested instead of blitzed.

279 km each way to Kaladar by slab plus local riding is doable but not particularly enjoyable

Back
Top Bottom