Roll Call - Mosport Next Week | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Roll Call - Mosport Next Week

I believe one of ours was 4th, he said he saw a flag and rolled off but "not that much. Touched front brakes and washed".

Any chance you missed it?

Rolling off 10% for a waving yellow is proper, but after the second bike I think they should have shown Todd the red flag. In a worst case scenario they could have shown a debris flag, a racer will show additional caution at the sight of a debris flag. A waving yellow could merely mean that a bike is off the track up ahead. I was right on the wall and feel there was enough time to make that decision after the second crash but it's far too easy to be a general after the war. By that time I had no line of sight to T10 so I don't know if they were waving any flag other than yellow.

It sucks to see a few racers end their weekend at a track day just days before possibly the most anticipated event of the year.

Agreed, it sucked for all.

Joe Bass - go up this weekend for the vintage races. Unfortunately we don't get many TDS at Mosport, so I believe this is the last one. However this weekend looks to be awesome and I know at least two (Brian P and jayv) great guys who will be there. I think it's less than 20 to get in too! I have plans this weekend or I'd go watch.

Hardwrkr13 - funny, I have 2 jugs of Old Flame in cooler for the end of the day! Have you tried the brew pub up in Port?

Last edited:
Hardwrkr13 - funny, I have 2 jugs of Old Flame in cooler for the end of the day! Have you tried the brew pub up in Port?

Yes indeed, we checked it out last year shortly after opening. The owners are a nice couple and they gave us a tour of the brewery along with their story. Nice how they're really integrated into the community there (they have a barter agreement with farmers, butcher, etc in the area). Been meaning to go back as they only had three beers available when I was there.

Rolling off 10% for a waving yellow is proper, but after the second bike I think they should have shown Todd the red flag.

"They" - the corner workers at the incident - do not, and must not, have the authority to display a red flag on their own. They report the incident to race control and race control makes the decision then calls for ALL corners to go red at the same time. It has to be this way. A red flag in one corner followed by no red flag in the next corner (because that corner isn't aware of the incident yet) would be a BIG disaster.

Reporting the incident to race control, race control making the decision, then calling for everyone to go red, takes a certain amount of time.

Keep in mind that if there is oil down on the track, it is not necessarily immediately apparent to the corner workers.

If a corner radio worker reports to race control that there are multiple bikes down, it is virtually certain that race control will call for a red flag. But it takes time!

I've been there ...

"They" - the corner workers at the incident - do not, and must not, have the authority to display a red flag on their own. They report the incident to race control and race control makes the decision then calls for ALL corners to go red at the same time. It has to be this way. A red flag in one corner followed by no red flag in the next corner (because that corner isn't aware of the incident yet) would be a BIG disaster.

Reporting the incident to race control, race control making the decision, then calling for everyone to go red, takes a certain amount of time.

Keep in mind that if there is oil down on the track, it is not necessarily immediately apparent to the corner workers.

If a corner radio worker reports to race control that there are multiple bikes down, it is virtually certain that race control will call for a red flag. But it takes time!

I've been there ...

One bike throws metal out of it's cases and rolls to a stop in T1 (flying debris may not have been witnessed by the corner worker), two bikes proceed to crash right behind him. Is this just cause for a debris flag?

I don't honestly think they had the time to.

Very unfortunate, I'd not point fingers at anyone. Cause, riders, or corner guys.

Not pointing fingers, I'd just like to see quicker responses where possible. If it's possible to learn a lesson from this then that would be ideal. This type of incident happens frequently at other tracks and race orgs and I'm sure there's a reason officials respond the way they do.

Not pointing fingers, I'd just like to see quicker responses where possible. If it's possible to learn a lesson from this then that would be ideal. This type of incident happens frequently at other tracks and race orgs and I'm sure there's a reason officials respond the way they do.

Yes, there is.

A couple of bikes down off-track in one corner is bad.

A bike running top speed (because the rider hadn't seen the red flag in T1) into the back of riders who stopped in T2 because of the red flag in T1 while some other riders see that there is no red flag in T2 and resume race speed only to plow into the back of other riders who are completely (and rightfully) confused about whether they actually saw a red flag in T1 but are certainly not seeing it in T2 ... is REALLY REALLY bad.

All corners MUST go to red-flag simultaneously and this means the call for a red flag MUST come from race control. It's also why the correct rider response to a red flag is to shut the throttle and put a hand up but NOT slam on the brakes (better to not brake at all, just coast to the next marshal station).

If you have NASCAR budget, you can put red/yellow/green lights all the way around the track plus have radio communication to the instrument panel of every single vehicle so that not only does the entire track go to red condition simultaneously but it also does so without having to wait for drivers to pass a flag station or even to wait for the flagger to pull out a flag and wave it. But we don't, so we do it with flags and radios the way it's been done for about 50 years.

Most got one session in before lunch (a bit wet). Then rained all day until closer to 4 when the rain let off and slowly began to dry as the sun broke out. That's when Riders Choice just made it open session for all. By 5pm when we were checkered flagged in it was blue sky and sun beaming down ...

Most got one session in before lunch (a bit wet). Then rained all day until closer to 4 when the rain let off and slowly began to dry as the sun broke out. That's when Riders Choice just made it open session for all. By 5pm when we were checkered flagged in it was blue sky and sun beaming down ...

Can't believe they didn't cancel it, the weather forecast was 90% chance of rain from the day before... That's BS, paying $260 for one wet session! With the money involved, the people who signed up should at least get to vote if the day should proceed or be cancelled

Can't believe they didn't cancel it, the weather forecast was 90% chance of rain from the day before... That's BS, paying $260 for one wet session! With the money involved, the people who signed up should at least get to vote if the day should proceed or be cancelled
Reason I rarely pre register.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

"We don't stop because of a little rain, but in the event of a total wash-out we will be offering make-up days for those attending riders who show up and sign in only."

We had one set session so they didn't allow the make-up date .........................

Same here, but a lot of loyal customers had the day booked from months ago and this is what they got
Can't blame the organizers obviously. Do track days actually sell out? I've never heard of anybody getting turned down at the gate.

Can't blame the organizers obviously. Do track days actually sell out? I've never heard of anybody getting turned down at the gate.

They do sell out actually, and yes I've heard of people get turned down at the gate. It happened last year even at Cayuga on a long weekend, I guess that's why the organizers get away with it as the majority of people are preregistered, no one wants to say NO to $$$ and give it back

At Mosport right now, lower paddock beside exit of turn one ... Sunny, nice temperature ... First practice done, second up soon ... 65 bikes in fast practice (way too much traffic) so the second one is split odd/even ...

I think it's only Shannonville that let's you raincheck your day if you don't like the weather, but then again it's their own track. The organizer pays for the track as long as management keeps the track open, which is regardless of weather unless there is lightning. Weather report said possibility of thunderstorms, and I was definitely hoping to see lightning (which never came unfortunately)

Still, rain happens. 99% of the time we still get some quality sessions in, it just didn't happen this time. On the other hand, RC's CTMP days are before two major race weekends so anyone hoping to get in at the last moment is just rolling a different set of dice.

Back
Top Bottom