2010 GSXR600 metallic residue on the drain bolt magnet | GTAMotorcycle.com

2010 GSXR600 metallic residue on the drain bolt magnet

croco

Hi guys, I have a 2010 GSXR600 with 11k km. I just did an oil change on it, and when I wiped the drain bolt on a clean paper towel I noticed a very small black smudge that came off the magnet. However there were no visible shiny metal flakes in that smudge, and the oil was perfectly clean, without any metallic flakes. The bike does not burn oil, does not have coolant in the oil, etc. I probably never would have noticed, because I usually use a black cotton rag to wipe everything down. This time around the paper towel was closer at hand...

I should mention this is the first oil change of the season. I changed the oil in June 2014, rode for about 800km then parked the bike until this weekend. I've been away on business so much I don't even have time to ride.

Anyway, my question is it normal for a minute amount of metallic deposits to accumulate on the drain bolt in 800km? Thanks.

It's normal. It's probably from the engagement dogs in your transmission.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Once I did not see metal flakes I was somewhat sure the bike was ok. Confirmation is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom